• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand vs Zimbabwe

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
krkode said:
Isn't Hondo "colored" too? I think it's because of his statement. But Flower doesn't get it due to his extreme value in the Zimbabwean side, i think.
How much value can you place on someone who only has 2 more games left for his country (unless the reach the semis)?

Anil

marc71178 said:
How much value can you place on someone who only has 2 more games left for his country (unless the reach the semis)?
Has he announced that he is retiring after the WC or has it been announced that he will be removed after this tournament?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It's been stated in more than one magazine that he is retiring from International Cricket after the World Cup, not been officially announced, but it must be 99% I'd have thought.

Bazza

Zimbabwe - I'm sure we all agree Streak is their best bowler. Surprisingly Hondo, the man picked out for stick has the best average, better even than Streak. Still Olonga, ok he's probably good enough to warrant a place for Zimbabwe, but Rik makes him sound like he's as good as Flower the way he goes on about him!!

New Zealand - can't believe someone would drop McMillan for him? I thought you were struggling for runs two weeks ago? I like Marc's idea - open with Cairns and Bond, then bring on Adams first change. If Cairns can bowl 1-15 from 5 on average, he's done his job. Then you have Adams, Styris, Oram, Harris, Astle, McMillan even to finish up. Hell you could give 5 overs to everyone with that team!!

anzac

The problem was at the 'death' as Fleming had got caught out a bit with bowling out Bond & Oram earlier. Things were fine until Streak & Co started hitting on Vettori & Harris.

Fleming wanted to bring some pace to the bowling. But the signs were not good when he tried Astle & he went for 11 or so. He was left with Styris, Adams or Cairns - of the 3 Adams has the greater pace but lacked the control (as a result of his action IMO). The fact that he did not go to Cairns still shows a wanting to protect him / his confidence.

I do not think we will see a change to that starting lineup v Australia in the next match, but we can expect to see different tactics - Bond & Oram to open (& not be bowled out so early), Adams & Cairns to be used when more protection available & more overs from Vettori, Harris & Astle - but not into the last 5 - 7 overs of 'the slog'.

I do not think they will want to risk Cairns yet by bowling him as either opening or at the 'death' until he really has his bowling form & confidence back - still a little too tentative yet.

A lot will also depend on how many wickets the opposition has in hand & what their hitting credentials are like.

Mills may get a start v India if he is recovered in time.

Hitchcock was not selected for the WC primarily because it was not thought the slower bowlers were going to be so effective on these wickets - hence the errors made in the opening loss to SL. He seems to me to be the NZ version of Ian Harvey re his bowling, and will probably gain selection in the future along with Butler if he can maintain his control with his increase pace this last season.

IMO the current bowlers most at risk for the drop are the likes of Tuffey, Mills & Harris (but not necessarily in that order). Adams is seen as too much of an impact player to be let go. Tuffey may well be consigned to selection for NZ type conditions & there may be an arguement for 'horses for courses' type selections.

:)

Rik

Bazza said:
Still Olonga, ok he's probably good enough to warrant a place for Zimbabwe, but Rik makes him sound like he's as good as Flower the way he goes on about him!
No I make it seem as if he's part of the strongest bowling attack Zimbabwe could pick. The fact that Streak said that he was bowling superbly but was then dropped because the selectors took a punt on someone else grates with me. Also the fact that his replacement (whoever he is) hasn't done much. Yes ok he has a good average but he's done nothing in this WC. Even Streak has been poor. Olonga has the ability to run through a batting lineup and he's done it before, India in WC99 anyone? Zimbabwe pick Sean Ervine for the match, he hits a nice 31* but then when they need someone to grab a few quick wickets he goes for 44 off 6 overs, yes he took a wicket, but it didn't really matter. I just find it disgusting how they can so blatently discriminate against a player like that.