• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Number Generator

Rich2001

Haven't ever looked for one on the net, but I know if you have Excel you can create a simple number generator

superkingdave

Tom Halsey said:
Um... how? :D
Type this into an excel cell

=ROUND(x*RAND(),0)

where x is the range, ie if you want a random number between 0 and 100, x is 100.

Last edited:

DJellett

Actullay using this (well preferablly a dice but a number generator will do)

A quick and suprisingly entertaining cricket game for you and a friend...

Set up the number generator for a range of 1-6
(or use the dice)

Every number is that amount of runs, except 5, every 5 you get is a wicket.
You add the runs until a 5 comes up, then go to the next batsman, continue till you lose 11, yes, 11 wickets, then swap innings.

Interesting Variations:

Test Match
Limited Overs (eg. Only 100 rolls of the dice etc.)

Last Mans Tucker:
If you only want 10 wickets to fall, for realism purposes, the #11 gets 10 numbers/rolls to get as many runs as possible unless they get out before then.

Suprisingly addictive and fun, and you'll be suprised how realistic and can be (and how not realistic it can be)

One Game:

Hayden 3
Ponting 0
Gilchrist 7
Warne 207
McGrath 166

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
DJellett said:
Actullay using this (well preferablly a dice but a number generator will do)

A quick and suprisingly entertaining cricket game for you and a friend...

Set up the number generator for a range of 1-6
(or use the dice)

Every number is that amount of runs, except 5, every 5 you get is a wicket.
You add the runs until a 5 comes up, then go to the next batsman, continue till you lose 11, yes, 11 wickets, then swap innings.

Interesting Variations:

Test Match
Limited Overs (eg. Only 100 rolls of the dice etc.)

Last Mans Tucker:
If you only want 10 wickets to fall, for realism purposes, the #11 gets 10 numbers/rolls to get as many runs as possible unless they get out before then.

Suprisingly addictive and fun, and you'll be suprised how realistic and can be (and how not realistic it can be)

One Game:

Hayden 3
Ponting 0
Gilchrist 7
Warne 207
McGrath 166
And that's how Beach Cricket 2000 was born (obviously it did evolve, but school bus journeys in year 7 playing that game were the starting point)!

Langeveldt

Soutie
I used a manically realistic version of that.. More realistic than anything EA sports have come up with..

Each time a batsman is dismissed they lose a "life"..

The number of lives they can lose is dependant on their career batting average, and a formula is used to determine that.. Bowler strength also came into play but im forgetting how..

superkingdave

If a five is rolled you roll again to decide whether the appeal is successful. I used to have a special hexagoniodal(wateva) shaped die that had, caught, bowled, run out, not out, lbw etd, but i lost it and reverted to odd was out even was another life, home teams got 3 second rolls in an innings to recreate home advantage.

Incidentally i played proper dice cricket with overs and 2 batsman in at a time, quite sad really though it was 10 years or more ago, used to record the scorecards as well, England used to beat the Aussies too.

How times have changed

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I remember doing something similar SKD - batsmen had better chances of surviving appeals based on averages.

PY

superkingdave said:
If a five is rolled you roll again to decide whether the appeal is successful. I used to have a special hexagoniodal(wateva) shaped die that had, caught, bowled, run out, not out, lbw etd, but i lost it and reverted to odd was out even was another life, home teams got 3 second rolls in an innings to recreate home advantage.

Incidentally i played proper dice cricket with overs and 2 batsman in at a time, quite sad really though it was 10 years or more ago, used to record the scorecards as well, England used to beat the Aussies too.

How times have changed
I had that too, I remember them being in a little white tin and worth hours of fun when I was younger.

Though some might say I'm forever young. :whistling