• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 2nd Test at the Adelaide Oval

age_master

UncleTheOne said:
Indeed. The bloke is so amazingly underrated. He gets practically written off before every tour with people banging on about how the conditions of foreign climates don't suit him, some people will probably never learn.

I spose he often doesn't look that threatening when hes bowling, but he has alot of talent and bowls his heart out every time, which is what makes the difference.

Slow Love™ said:
I suppose Martyn thought he had nothing to lose, and he was probably right... But playing that particular shot - it's almost hard to believe. It obviously wasn't necessary though, so it all comes across as weirdly selfish. Might sound tough, but wouldn't it have been better for the team to take it a bit easier and support Hussey?

I think I'm just reeling from the brainlessness of it all.
I understood the point of it at that time and out of his three dismissals that annoyed me the last to be honest.

He was obviously under instruction to try and end it aggressively, knowing that it was likely he would get a few more than that quickly and there would be insurance to follow. They probably only wanted a 20 or so in about half the number of balls.

OK, so it didn't come off but It was a good move and he couldn't have picked out that one man again if he tried. Bit unlucky.

UncleTheOne said:
Indeed. The bloke is so amazingly underrated. He gets practically written off before every tour with people banging on about how the conditions of foreign climates don't suit him, some people will probably never learn.
He had a decent game but let's not get carried away.

He really isnt underrated because most people who know that game and who's opinion matters rate him quite highly. Not even I really criticise him much because I acknowledge his skill.

Craig said:
Ponting getting MOTM if farcial IMO.

Other people who put in better efforts deserved it.
Don't be ridiculous, "farcical?" that would be if Giles got it.

He captained very well today for a start. Set good fields and saw his team through the majority of the chase with a sterling captains knock. Shame his dismissal was rather tame as he looked steady and was picking off the singles superbly.

As well as getting them out of a jam in the first innings with another superb century under immense pressure to set up a game.

The man was rock solid.

Matteh

BingLeeElectric said:
Don't be ridiculous, "farcical?" that would be if Giles got it.

He captained very well today for a start. Set good fields and saw his team through the majority of the chase with a sterling captains knock. Shame his dismissal was rather tame as he looked steady and was picking off the singles superbly.

As well as getting them out of a jam in the first innings with another superb century under immense pressure to set up a game.

The man was rock solid.
Collingwood > Ponting

Matteh said:
Collingwood > Ponting
Ponting > Collingwood.

BTW, speaking of Collingwood, I loved how when he was trying to waste time so as to only face one more over before lunch and Gilchrist said "He must have learned that in county cricket"

:laugh: Classic.

Collingwoods second innings knock was one of the main factors which cost England the game with his absolutely ridiculous scoring rate, even with four men around the bat and the tailenders coming in he still didn't play any shots and it proved telling in the end.

Maybe he was playing for his average or something.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Matteh said:
Collingwood>Ponting
No way - while it was an admirable effort in some ways sticking it out today, the fact that he allowed himself to get so pinned down robbed England of their chance to save the match. If he'd made more than 22* off his 150odd balls faced, they might not have lost the game.

Ponting's first innings was < than Collingwoods, but Ponting's innings this afternoon was great and his captaincy was pretty damn good as well.

Feel for Collingwood tho...

Alysum

BingLeeElectric said:
Ponting > Collingwood.

BTW, speaking of Collingwood, I loved how when he was trying to waste time so as to only face one more over before lunch and Gilchrist said "He must have learned that in county cricket"

:laugh: Classic.

Collingwoods second innings knock was one of the main factors which cost England the game with his absolutely ridiculous scoring rate, even with four men around the bat and the tailenders coming in he still didn't play any shots and it proved telling in the end.

Maybe he was playing for his average or something.
no he was wasting overs to get a draw

Matt79 said:
No way - while it was an admirable effort in some ways sticking it out today, the fact that he allowed himself to get so pinned down robbed England of their chance to save the match. If he'd made more than 22* off his 150odd balls faced, they might not have lost the game.
Exactly.

He's either too stuborn or lacks the talent to adapt.

Matt79

Global Moderator
More to the point WOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Go Australia!!! One of the best, and most unlikely Test wins I can remember. How gun are Warne and Hussey! Particularly Shane, bouncing back from 1/160+ in the first innings.

can't see England getting back from here.

Matteh

Ponting's 49 wasn't stand out. Collingwood's innings today which was a not out was clearly superior.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Just had the wrong mindset - was looking to block out the bowling for the whole day. Yes, he kept his head while the rest of the team, except Anderson, lost theirs, but he forgot that the other variable he could control besides how long Australia had to bat, was how many do they have to chase.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Matteh said:
Ponting's 49 wasn't stand out. Collingwood's innings today which was a not out was clearly superior.
Except Ponting's 49 contributed significantly to Australia winning, while in the end Collingwood's innings didn't contribute to saving the match for England. It would be easy to underestimate Ponting today, because he made it look very easy but he was batting like a tank.

Complicated

England really needed runs in the second innings. If Collingwood could have gotten another 30 runs, rather then be 22 not out, maybe he would be MOM, and maybe England would have won.