• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Bangladesh in New Zealand 2016/2017

16 tins of Spam

It would if they brought back the Boxing Day test. The first day of a Boxing Day test there against someone like England or India would be close to a sellout.
Perhaps no one wants to go and pay $35 for the privilege of watching NZ stink up the joint against ordinary opposition in awful weather.

Blocky

Banned
I love the Basin, but as a ground it's in dire need of a lot of work. The toilets are disgusting. The Vance stand is shabby and dirty. The old stand is just a blot on the ground. The ticketing facilities are average - if there's any sort of a crowd turning up you better have bought yours already or get ready for a 40 minute wait in line.
Yup - they haven't done anything to the facilities since the late nineties, and they really can't do that much about ticketing, etcetera due to where it's placed - there are already traffic hazards of people trying to cross the road to get to the Basin due to it being right on the main road into Wellington so they won't want to open up more gates and have to deal with the resulting impacts.

I just think NZ should start to establish stadiums that have a good history for us, a good grounds crew and a position that allows the stadium to naturally grow/change when required - if you look at Hagley, Seddon Park (Take a look at the practice facilities for an example of this) - really good examples of what we should start to look towards for our grounds for test cricket. I still think given the weather, places like Nelson and Hawkes Bay should also be looked at more, considering retirement populations in those venues I think you'd still see good turnouts fan wise, and if you got the right venue and grounds crew, you could produce some cracking wickets there. ( i.e not McClean Park)

Auckland, Wellington, Dunedin - the weather conditions don't support great wickets at all. Yes it's where our population base is, but give them the T20 and ODI stuff where you can profit more anyway, most people prefer Test Cricket on the TV as it is so you won't lose much by moving from those venues.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Tbf, I've been watching cricket at the Basin for 25 years and Thursday was afaia the first time that the camera facilities were shut down by the wind.
Happened against Pakistan a few years back to for a time when it was blowing a gale.

Zinzan

Said Australia were a disgrace and bullies, and it was disgusting they hadn't played more against Bangladesh.

There was more but I can't remember now.
Rigor's always been scathing of Australia though & does it under the pretense of being tongue in cheek, but he generally means it. When he was on Radio sport they used to call into an Aussie station once a week & he'd always let them have it & call them 'scumbag cheats' etc etc.

16 tins of Spam

I love the Basin, but as a ground it's in dire need of a lot of work. The toilets are disgusting. The Vance stand is shabby and dirty. The old stand is just a blot on the ground. The ticketing facilities are average - if there's any sort of a crowd turning up you better have bought yours already or get ready for a 40 minute wait in line.
All this stuff is being addressed. I agree that it's been neglected for far too long and that's a disgrace, but we are getting some progress now.

I hope they retain the bogs at the southern end though. It is neat to be able to watch the game through the breeze blocks while taking a whizz.

Last edited:

Blocky

Banned
We can't afford to play guys who may eventually come good, Santner offers little with bat and ball atm. He'd be better off working on his game at the domestic level before giving another run in Tests.

As for Guptill, I want to see what Guptill can do against the older ball at 5. It was poor to have him open when it's evident that he struggles to playing the moving ball.

Neesham is self explanatory, I'm surprised he isn't playing here. IIRC he scored 70 odd in the last Test he played in India, looked great while scoring those runs too.
Name someone who can do the job Santner has done for the past 12 months in tests though, I think Williamson should definitely bowl himself more, but Santner has taken wickets at 38, kept the runflow reasonably quiet and done so in conditions that don't usually offer him that much, and that's in his debut year. His batting needs to come on more, but bowling wise, take a look at the returns of Craig, Sodhi, Jeetan, Nethula, Astle etcetera to see why you just can't leave Santner out.

Also, the "Let him go get better at domestic" doesn't really work in NZ - captains do not know how to use spin here, pitches don't support spin here and they just don't progress unless they're in the national team or playing county style cricket.

Guptill won't get a chance at five, unless he does what Brownlie tried to do (and failed) and move himself there for Auckland and show over the course of a few seasons that he's worth a go. He's burnt his chances and to be honest, I'd rather see us promoting youth, there are quite a few prospect batsmen showing up, there are only so many times you can say "Well Guptill is so naturally talented" but to look at his record, he's just not shown it, ever.

Last edited:

Blocky

Banned
Now, if the argument is "Guptill vs Nicholls" - sure, Guptill would be in my side, but to be honest, given Broom's comeback performances in the ODI arena, and the fact that he's always generally been a better first class batsman than limited overs cricketer, he should have got the nod for this series, and should be given a chance where plausible. Yes, it goes against the "promote youth" policy, but it's also not "Let's continue giving chances to the same people hoping they turn it around"

_Ed_

Now, if the argument is "Guptill vs Nicholls" - sure, Guptill would be in my side, but to be honest, given Broom's comeback performances in the ODI arena, and the fact that he's always generally been a better first class batsman than limited overs cricketer, he should have got the nod for this series, and should be given a chance where plausible. Yes, it goes against the "promote youth" policy, but it's also not "Let's continue giving chances to the same people hoping they turn it around"
Broom's injured, isn't he? I think he would have been in the team otherwise.

Zinzan

So if NZ did make a sporting declaration 199 behind, I doubt Bangers would play ball & set something interesting up, you'd think they'd be happy with the draw.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
This is disappointing to hear. It always looks so beautiful on TV; one of the cricket grounds in the world I most want to go to. Hopefully they've fixed it up a bit by the time I get off my lazy arse and go to a Test there.

hendrix

Santner's bowling is underrated due to aesthetics, and his batting is overrated due to aesthetics. His batting looks great but then there are many tailenders who can look great too; until we get a dominant domestic season of runscoring there's nothing to suggest he'll score hundreds at test level apart from pure eye test. His bowling looks like he's not rotating properly but in actuality he gets a decent amount of revs.

Blocky

Banned
So if NZ did make a sporting declaration 199 behind, I doubt Bangers would play ball & set something interesting up, you'd think they'd be happy with the draw.
I don't think they'd give them 200 - I'm thinking if Baz was in charge, you'd see a declaration around 100 behind and ask them to set up a total - at the same time, see him aggressively attack them with good field placements and bowling plans.

The other option is just hit the crap out of the bowling from this point onwards and see where you end up.

Styris showing his lack of captaincy credits here... "Oh, they shouldn't declare behind, because they'd have nothing to play for in the fourth innings" - 1. Fourth innings is probably the easiest time to bat on this dreadful wicket, 2. Bangladesh aren't known for responding under pressure (take a look at the choke that cost them the first test against England) and 3. We have a batting line up that could chase 300 in 60.

Blocky

Banned
Oh Tom... that sweep was looking worse and worse, especially with the drift.

Great innings, but you have to put that in as an avoidable dismissal.

Blocky

Banned
Santner's bowling is underrated due to aesthetics, and his batting is overrated due to aesthetics. His batting looks great but then there are many tailenders who can look great too; until we get a dominant domestic season of runscoring there's nothing to suggest he'll score hundreds at test level apart from pure eye test. His bowling looks like he's not rotating properly but in actuality he gets a decent amount of revs.
Here is Santner's chance to prove you wrong I guess. The guy is a legitimately good batsman, he's just not translated it yet to first class or international cricket, but his scores at Hawke Cup and the A level province stuff shows he can turn "good looking batsmanship" into gritty scores. A good punchy fifty or so here would be a good sign he's learning with the bat.

Zinzan

I don't think they'd give them 200 - I'm thinking if Baz was in charge, you'd see a declaration around 100 behind and ask them to set up a total - at the same time, see him aggressively attack them with good field placements and bowling plans.
I was meaning if it was another side other than Bangers, perhaps one ahead of us in the ratings who'd really want to force a result, you'd do it and hope they played ball. But Bangers would be happy with a draw here one feels.