• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at the SCG

heathrf1974

Does anyone know who the Australian seclectors were in the late eighties and early nineties? That was when some good decisions were made.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
haha, so not surprised by any of this. Bear in mind the sort of personality we're dealing with here, a bloke who swore on several mothers' graves during his playing days that he never had a problem with the hook shot, they were all just calculated gambles that didn't come off.
Hate those kind of ****s whose self belief/lack of self awreness is such they can't countenance they might've ****ed up. "The problem is one of execution, not decision making"

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hate those kind of ****s whose self belief/lack of self awreness is such they can't countenance they might've ****ed up. "The problem is one of execution, not decision making"
It's odd that you never encountered such a person on CricketWeb and clashed badly due to your beliefs... :ph34r:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Prince that was gold :laugh:

And Howard, I can't wait for the Allan Border medal. I am genuinely curious how they plan on doing it. What has been a back-slapping event for years will be very different this year.

howardj

AB won't let his name be put to that thing this year

No ****ing way

He'll give them all the tea-pot stance when he's on stage lol

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Prince that was gold :laugh:

And Howard, I can't wait for the Allan Border medal. I am genuinely curious how they plan on doing it. What has been a back-slapping event for years will be very different this year.
They'll just give it to the least bad Australian of the last year IMO.

heathrf1974

Selections such as Hughes, Smith and Beer shouldn't happen, these are hopeful selections which little evidence that they will come off. These are signs of desperation. Shield form should be used as an indicator of talent. Hence Hauritz should be our spinner until a better option shows itself at first class level. The selectors need to make a private list of about twenty players they believe will handle test cricket standard within the next two years and stick with it. Batting, Bowling and Fielding coaches need an overhaul.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
How can you criticise the selections of Smith and Hughes, yet in the same post argue that Shield performances should be used as selection criteria and that Nathan Hauritz should be the side's spinner?

Woodster

How can you criticise the selections of Smith and Hughes, yet in the same post argue that Shield performances should be used as selection criteria and that Nathan Hauritz should be the side's spinner?
Hauritz has been decent in the Sheffield Season, has 19 wickets at 26.78, more wickets than any other spinner I think, without taking his batting form into account.

Woodster

Selections such as Hughes, Smith and Beer shouldn't happen, these are hopeful selections which little evidence that they will come off. These are signs of desperation. Shield form should be used as an indicator of talent. Hence Hauritz should be our spinner until a better option shows itself at first class level. The selectors need to make a private list of about twenty players they believe will handle test cricket standard within the next two years and stick with it. Batting, Bowling and Fielding coaches need an overhaul.
I do agree with this. The players you've mentioned there are either lacking in form or are not ready for Test cricket and their development will be hindered rather than accelerated by playing Test cricket before they're ready.

Hauritz should clearly be the spinner in the Aussie side, if we're judging on playing talent alone.