• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Under 19s Tour of Africa

chaminda_00

Zimbabwe Announce Squad for Youth Test

Sean Williams (c) (LHB, LAOS)
Ryan Higgins (vc) (RHB, RALS)
Gary Balance - (LHB)
Ronald Benade - (RHB, RAM)
Justice Chibhabha - (RHB, RAMF)
Graeme Cremer - (RHB, RALS)
Friday Kasteni - (LHB, WK)
Tarisai Mahlunge - (LHB, WK)
Keagan Meth - (RHB, RAFM)
Taurai Tapfumaneyi - (RHB, RAFM)
Donald Samunderu - (RHB, RAOB)
Glen Querl - (RHB, RAM)

chaminda_00

Three Webbers make their debut

The Under-19 Selectors have named three new faces for Youth Test aganist Zimbabwe at Academy Ground, Harare. With former captain Thamba Mamesh playing Test Cricket, Matt Luff and James Mathus-Howell make a new look opening combination. Luff has pervously played for the Under 19s in Season XI pre-season matches, but this is his official debut. Mathus-Howell has played in a One Day match against England A, last season and was on stand-by for the European Tour, but makes his Youth Test Debut against Zimbabwe. The third Webhead to make his debut is Red batting all rounder Zac Ritchie, who like Luff played in pre-season matches at the start of the season. Kev Goughy is also making his Youth Test debut, but has previously played in the YODI series against South Africa.

CWU-19s: Matt Luff, James Mathus-Howell, Nick Scott, Matt Pitt, Shan Jasotharan, Zac Ritchie, Stephen Burke (wk), Matt Currie, Nick Hancock (vc), Andy Cameron (c), Kev Goughy, 12th man: Ntini Dravid

Perm

Cracker, batting at #6 and will hopefully get a few overs under my belt to further impress the selectors. Looking forward to it.

luffy

chaminda_00 said:
The Under-19 Selectors have named three new faces for Youth Test aganist Zimbabwe at Academy Ground, Harare. With former captain Thamba Mamesh playing Test Cricket, Matt Luff and James Mathus-Howell make a new look opening combination. Luff has pervously played for the Under 19s in Season XI pre-season matches, but this is his official debut. Mathus-Howell has played in a One Day match against England A, last season and was on stand-by for the European Tour, but makes his Youth Test Debut against Zimbabwe. The third Webhead to make his debut is Red batting all rounder Zac Ritchie, who like Luff played in pre-season matches at the start of the season. Kev Goughy is also making his Youth Test debut, but has previously played in the YODI series against South Africa.

CWU-19s: Matt Luff, James Mathus-Howell, Nick Scott, Matt Pitt, Shan Jasotharan, Zac Ritchie, Stephen Burke (wk), Matt Currie, Nick Hancock (vc), Andy Cameron (c), Kev Goughy, 12th man: Ntini Dravid

An honour to make my debut, hoping to do my best.

Travis_Teh

In an amazing match the young under 19 Cricket Webbers defied all odds to pull off a scintellating victory in the last few overs of play against the Zimboks.

Needing 356 to win, with less than a days play left, the CW team decided to go for broke and ended up winning with 3 wickets to spare inside of the third last over of play. The enourmous chase was set upon by a gobsmacking 185 run partnership, in good time, for the second wicket by Matt Luff and Nick Scott. Luff went on to register 107, to follow up his well made 42 in the first innings, along side an unlucky Nick Scott who was caught at mid-on in a dubious manner for 96. Replays showed around the ground, as Scott trudged off towards the pavilion, clearly showed Higgins putting the catch down but still claiming it.

Shan Jasotharan and Zac Ritchie were elevated above Matt Pitt to try and keep the tempo flowing but both fell for 29 and 37 respectively whilst set. Needing 85 off the last 16 overs or so, the Webbers were not let down by Currie and then Hancock as they pulled off an amazing victory.

Earlier, the Zimboks won the toss and elected to bat on a great deck for the batsmen.
A toss Andy Cameron wished he had won, as the first Zimbabwean wicket fell at 132 in the 49th over. The Zimboks might not have been the most aggressive or entertaining batsmen to watch, but they calmy put on a big first innings total of 371.
In resposne, the Cricket Web lads were skittled for just 189, still recovering from fielding for 136 overs.

The Zimboks were then bowled out cheaply for 173 due to great seam bowling by Kev Goughy and Andy Cameron .. which led to the now infamous chase.

Man of the Match : Matt Luff [42 (77) & 107 (142)]

Attachments

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
Congrats to all the playing XI. Disappointed at missing out the opportunity but hopefully the next match.

Goughy

Well batted Luffy.
Unlucky Scott

Good stuff from myself and Cameron.

The 3 people in the stands will talk about this game for a long time :)

andyc

Top effort there boys, we cameback really well. Good stuff from Luffy and Scott with with the bat, while Goughy went very well with the ball too. Was pleased to take some wickets myself as well.

Perm

Excellent recovery there, disappointed not to really capitalise on my opportunity, bowled 7 wicket less overs and failed in the first innings. Made small amends in the second.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
A great effort by the boys, against a number of players with senior international experience, who are certainly no slouches when it comes to U/19 cricket. That sort of fight is fantastic to see. Probably the most courageous effort seen by a CW U/19 side.

chooka_nick

Quite brilliant, gentlemen. I'm very impressed with the fight we showed. I agree with Jack - its a great sign for the future.

crickhowell

Great stuff guys, sadly I can't take any credit for it. My 20 in the first dig wasn't too bad a start though.