• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Openers for the 1877-1940 Test XI

Openers for the 1877-1940 Test XI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

oz_fan

As a follow up to the Pre 1914 Test XI a couple of people suggested that we choose a combined pre 1914 and 1920-1940 Test XI like what was done previously with the post World War 2 team. All the options have been chosen for either the pre 1914 XI or 1920-1939 XI. This is a poll to decide the openers for the team. Here are the options to choose from:

Batsman Mat Inn NO Runs HS1 HS2 HS3 Ave 100 50
Jack Hobbs - 61 102 7 5410 211 187 187 56.94 15 28
Herbert Sutcliffe - 54 84 9 4555 194 176 161 60.73 16 23
WG Grace - 22 36 2 1098 170 152 75* 32.29 2 5
Victor Trumper - 48 89 8 3163 214* 185* 166 39.04 8 13

oz_fan

I voted for Hobbs and Trumper. Hobbs was an automatic selection but I voted for Trumper on reputation ahead of Sutcliffe who has the more impressive record.

Perm

While Grace and Trumper were both legends of the game, it's hard to go past Hobbs and Sutcliffe who were possibly the greatest opening pair of all time.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Hobbs is an automatic selection, and I went for Vic to provide a bit of sparkle at the top of the order. With the batting that will be there to come, I'd rather have a quicker scoring stylist at the top of the order than an accumulator of the Sutcliffe style.

archie mac

While Grace and Trumper were both legends of the game, it's hard to go past Hobbs and Sutcliffe who were possibly the greatest opening pair of all time.

Delete this word and I would agree 100%

I chose Hobbs and Trumper in that order:)

Last edited:

JBH001

I agree, 38 opening partnerships, 15 century stands, 10 half century stands, and an opening partnership averaging 88. I think "possibly" is the wrong word too.

In any case, I vote for Hobbs and Trumper.

(with apologies to the Champion and Sutcliffe)

bagapath

hobbs - for sheer mastery of the science of batting and
trumper - for unadultrated entertainment

Perm

Delete this word and I would agree 100%
Greenidge-Haynes and Hayden-Langer are two that come awfully close to matching them. As JBH001 mentioned, they only opened together in 38 innings which isn't really that many.

adharcric

Greenidge-Haynes and Hayden-Langer are two that come awfully close to matching them. As JBH001 mentioned, they only opened together in 38 innings which isn't really that many.
Greenidge-Haynes, perhaps. Hayden-Langer, not really.

Matt79

Global Moderator
They (Hobbs and Sutcliffe) also batted together in FC cricket and must be the greatest FC opening partnership of all time, even to this day. Plus 38 tests was a hell of a lot when you'd only play 5 tests a year...

Perm

They (Hobbs and Sutcliffe) also batted together in FC cricket and must be the greatest FC opening partnership of all time, even to this day. Plus 38 tests was a hell of a lot when you'd only play 5 tests a year...
Oh, I wouldn't hesitate in caling them the graetest First Class opening partnership of all time. Test's are a different story though, 38 Test matches was a lot back then, but compared to the current era it doesn't seem like much.

archie mac

They played against quality sides and opened for around 8 years (just a quick estimate), no doubt in my mind tbh