• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Quick Question...

Turbinator

Haha, he obviously added that ("Quick Question") to prevent another one of his threads from getting bashed :p.

Langeveldt

Soutie
haha, going to go out on a limb here

Over rated - Oasis
Under Rated - Springbok Nude Girls (Hell if they were English they'd be > Oasis)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's probably tougher to say who's overrated than who's underrated. There are literally dozens of great bands who don't get the props they should; some because they've never quite cracked the mainstream & some posterity has forgotten.Bands I would personally recommend include American Music Club, Buffalo Tom, Thin White Rope, The Triffids, The Replacements, The Afghan Whigs, The Wonder Stuff, Shed Seven, The Bluetones, The Boo Radleys & Gene. I could go on...

Overrated is harder, because for everyone who rates a band there's usually someone who hates them. I think probably the most overrated band ever tho are The Beastie Boys, who seem to be inexplicably lauded by people who should know better.

16 tins of Spam

Over rated - Oasis
Hardly. No-one's rated them since a week after Be Here Now came out.

The Doors are the most overrated band ever, IMO.

Underrated: any band that is innovative and talented but isn't fortunate enough to be British or American. I'm thinking of The Phoenix Foundation in particular. If they came from either of those countries the NME and Q would be talking them up as being on a par with Radiohead and Wilco.

Last edited:

Simon

WCC Staff
Over Rated - Silverchair (By too many Australians)
Under Rated - Third Eye Blind (That'll change this year when their fourth album comes out though)

_Ed_

My opinion, forcing myself to restrict it to two of each:

Overrated: U2, Green Day
Underrated: Gramsci, The Veils

FaaipDeOiad

Oasis are surely the most overrated. The number of people that like the content-free drivel they churn out year after year is simply astonishing.

Green Day at least had some appeal to people who were too young to have experienced punk rock when they were new on the scene. U2 had a few decent tunes in the 80s. The Beastie Boys are really a pretty diverse and interesting band with a couple of really good records. Oasis have nothing.

16 tins of Spam

Green Day at least had some appeal to people who were too young to have experienced punk rock when they were new on the scene... ...Oasis have nothing.
I can respect that you don't like Oasis, but if you're going to allow Green Day that concession, what about the kids who'd had nothing but manically depressed and angry Americans to listen to? Oasis were one of the key - if not the preeminent - bands that brought about a resurgence in music that was unashamedly British, and gave kids something positive to focus on after years of being shat on by the Tories.

You can argue all you like about the quality of their music, but you cannot deny them their role in the movement that also brought Suede, Pulp, Blur, Elastica, and so on to prominence, as well as inspiring a general renaissance in British culture, and arguably ushering in a new government as well.

Last edited: