• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Religion

NasserFan207

Opinions? Personal beliefs? Just wondered if people felt like discussing it here really.

Personally a Catholic, though I haven't been to Church in several years, and it doesn't really impact my life in anyway (although I do believe in God). Since this is a cricket forum I figured there'd be quite a wide variety here.

fredfertang

My mother has been telling me my whole life that I am Church of England - can't pretend to understand what that means but I do know my mother wouldn't lie to me

Uppercut

A religion thread.

Can see a few warning and bans in here in the future.
We've had them plenty before. They're generally not that messy, despite the best efforts of silentstriker and myself. Discussions in OT tend to be much more civil than the CC equivalents.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
We've had them plenty before. They're generally not that messy, despite the best efforts of silentstriker and myself. Discussions in OT tend to be much more civil than the CC equivalents.
I wonder how cricket threads in OT would go. :p

Uppercut

Lol, seriously, not looking for arguments, just normal discussion.

That is possible here... right? :mellow:
It depends what you'd like to discuss. You can't really get much intellectual mileage out of purely religious questions (e.g. does God exist?) because there aren't any sources for anyone to cite one way or the other and no one ever changes their mind. There are pretty interesting debates on stuff related to the social impact of religion. But even then the people on one side of the argument are almost always religious, which generally means they can't (or refuse to) think rationally on one level or another and hence makes them difficult to debate with.

Manee has some interesting thoughts though. The best debates I've had have invariably been with other atheists who disagree on certain elements.

PhoenixFire

Not a big fan of organised religion TBH, especially Islam. Have no problems with religious followers themselves, have many friends that are Catholics and I have several Muslim friends at school, I just think that organised religion has a net bad effect on the world (bar Buddhism which doesn't really seem to do much wrong).

I'm an atheist myself and have been for as long as I can remember. Science FTW.

Pothas

These debates get very boring on here, certainly a non-theist myself but get pretty irritated by militant atheists after a while. Find religion itself quite interesting but as to whether there is actually a god or not does not really matter although I personally think it is very very unlikely.

NasserFan207

Do the foundstions of philosophy really exist? :dry:
I hope so, I studied them for two years.

I have since concluded that it was mostly a waste of time, but it would still be a bit of a downer for me. :ph34r:

Uppercut, ok here's one for you. How would you define an atheist?