• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Russia and China Deal

Agent Nationaux

Russia and China have signed a 30 year gas deal worth $400bn. They have also agreed to deal in local currencies and bypass the dollar.

Russia signs 30-year deal worth $400bn to deliver gas to China | World news | theguardian.com

Russia, China sign deal to bypass U.S. dollar | Al Jazeera America

The Chinese have managed to get it at a cheaper price than what the Russians wanted.

In addition, the Russians will also be helping the Chinese develop a long distance Airliner to compete with Airbus and Boeing.

Putin looks to improve China relations amid rising tensions with the west | World news | theguardian.com

It will be interesting to see how Europe and the US react to this.

social

Cant imagine that there will be any reaction whatsoever as both countries are major players in the world's energy markets and transact with many western countries on a daily basis

Burgey

I don't know that this is a good development for the Australian gas industry, which I think was hoping to supply a lot to China. But I don't really know a great deal about that industry tbh, other than there's about to be about a 30% rise in domestic gas prices in Australia.

social

I don't know that this is a good development for the Australian gas industry, which I think was hoping to supply a lot to China. But I don't really know a great deal about that industry tbh, other than there's about to be about a 30% rise in domestic gas prices in Australia.
Australian gas companies sell every square foot of LNG that they produce on long term contracts to countries like China, Japan, Korea and Taiwan e.g. Woodside is on track to become one of the world's largest producers but does not have any surplus gas available for at least 15 years

Typical gas contract is 20-30 years as long-term contracts are required as security for the massive investment required to build liquefaction plants, etc

In summary, this is nothing unusual

Last edited:

Burgey

Cheers. Appreciate that.

If it was something potentially bad for Australia, I was going to blame the Carbon Tax.

social

The age-old issue facing Australia energy consumers is that all energy production in this country is in the hands of the private sector and they are naturally going to sell to the highest bidder.

On the plus side, the Oz government collects a royalty (typically 7%) on sales and is not responsible for funding the well/mine/etc.

Therefore, we should be compensated for high energy prices by cheaper/better services funded by these royalties

Sounds good in theory anyway

smalishah84

The Tiger King
Russia and China have signed a 30 year gas deal worth $400bn. They have also agreed to deal in local currencies and bypass the dollar.

Russia signs 30-year deal worth $400bn to deliver gas to China | World news | theguardian.com

Russia, China sign deal to bypass U.S. dollar | Al Jazeera America

The Chinese have managed to get it at a cheaper price than what the Russians wanted.

In addition, the Russians will also be helping the Chinese develop a long distance Airliner to compete with Airbus and Boeing.

Putin looks to improve China relations amid rising tensions with the west | World news | theguardian.com

It will be interesting to see how Europe and the US react to this.
This is just meh