• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shaun Tait

duffer

I had the pleasure of watching him bowl live for the first time today, and although he did get tonked around a bit by Jacques and Thornley I was really impressed by the way he looked.

Strong lad, always up there, always challenging the batsmen and was a bit unlucky too, a few streaky shots would've seen him take more wickets on another day. Ended by cleaning up the tail and bagged himself 4-for.

An outside chance for the Aussie squad sometime soon? What are the other forumnites who've seen him play opinions? I thought he might've been overhyped before but he looked like he could become Test-class soon enough and already has what it takes to trouble good batsmen.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
hes been in the Aussie squad before. just a bit worried about his back! i bowl "round-arm" like him, and ive just got off physio after four months. good luck to him.

Crazy Sam

he tends to go for a lot of runs. had a decent season last year but is carrying the SA attack on his shoulders, problem being he is not good enough or experienced enough to take on that burden yet. I think he may improve with better bowlers around him, but I think he will probably play quite a few tests.

duffer

He had a tendency to be a bit legside today and got picked off quite a bit on a good deck. Hopefully he should be able to sort this out in time.

The main thing that stood out was how persistent he was in bowling a full length challenging the batsmen to take him on. That and his raw pace should hold him in good stead once his control improves I think.

Dydl

He definently has talent-but look at Lee-he has as much talent as he does (roughly) and has been sidelined for ages carrying the drinks. He has finally got his break, but that is irrelevant.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
he has the ability to bowl wicket balls more consistently than any other australian bowler. i think that at least he knows that his job is to bowl fast and straight with the intention of taking wickets - in comparison to brett lee who seems to be caught between bowling line and length or rapid.

what i love about tait is how when he was in his teens he started to bowl with the slingshot action just so that he could bowl good wheels and hurt people

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
he has the ability to bowl wicket balls more consistently than any other australian bowler. i think that at least he knows that his job is to bowl fast and straight with the intention of taking wickets - in comparison to brett lee who seems to be caught between bowling line and length or rapid.

what i love about tait is how when he was in his teens he started to bowl with the slingshot action just so that he could bowl good wheels and hurt people
Hahahaha Jack.

Nishant

He has raw pace and the ability to penetrate, which gets him wickets. He goes for a few runs...but if he gets his accuracy (in terms of bowling wides), then he would be fine.

Burgey

guys like afridi,razzak & dhoni will tear him apart when he tour in sub continent.
I presume you mean if they haven't been knocked out of a tournament before they get to play Australia.......
Those players you have listed are as inconsistent with the bat as Tait is with the ball. It would be great to watch them take him on, though, but their records don't really indicate that they will have a sustained spell of dominance over a bowler of Tait's speed and ability to reverse swing the ball. Also not sure how Afridi & Dhoni's techniques would hold up against that kind of raw pace with an action that is so hard to pick up.

Salamuddin

I presume you mean if they haven't been knocked out of a tournament before they get to play Australia.......
Those players you have listed are as inconsistent with the bat as Tait is with the ball. It would be great to watch them take him on, though, but their records don't really indicate that they will have a sustained spell of dominance over a bowler of Tait's speed and ability to reverse swing the ball. Also not sure how Afridi & Dhoni's techniques would hold up against that kind of raw pace with an action that is so hard to pick up.
Are we talking ODi's or tests ? Because I certainly wouldn't call Dhoni an inconsistent batsman in ODi's.

An average of mid 40's after 70 odd games....he will be a tough proposition for Tait from what I've seen of him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd guess Cam was talking about ODIs (as I was) given that he mentioned "tournaments".

pup11

Taity is an exciting prospect and he has got the natural ability to bowl quick,his accuracy isn't too good atm but one expects that to get better as he plays more international cricket.

As far Taity being taken to the cleaners is concerned, all i have to is Taity would mash all of them like a "PO-TAIT-0"!!

Dasa

Are we talking ODi's or tests ? Because I certainly wouldn't call Dhoni an inconsistent batsman in ODi's.

An average of mid 40's after 70 odd games....he will be a tough proposition for Tait from what I've seen of him.
Dhoni's fast becoming one of the most under-rated batsmen around here.

Burgey

I'd guess Cam was talking about ODIs (as I was) given that he mentioned "tournaments".
Yeah I was Richard.

I obviously haven't seen as much of Dhoni as many others around here, but really, I from what I have, I can't, so far, justify all the fuss about him. I know he hits the ball a long way, but so do a heap of other blokes. He scored that awesome ton vs Pakistan early doors, but I'm just wondering (and this isn't his fault - if you get big wraps on you from the press you can't help that) whether he will live up to the hype. I hope for India's sake that he does.
ODIs aside, what are everyones thoughts on him as a Test player?

pup11

Dhoni is a good batsman and certainly he shouldn't be named along with the likes of Afridi and Razzaq.

Dhoni might be underrated in CW but in India he is rated even above Gilly (in general), which of course is so.. dire.