• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should we thank the bus driver?

Should passengers thank the bus driver?

• Total voters

16 tins of Spam

Here in Wellington, we have a curious little tradition (at least I can't remember having come across it elsewhere) of thanking the bus driver as we get off, even if we're at the back door.

Anyway, I refuse to participate. One could argue that it's a nice little habit, even though it's their job to get us from A to B in one piece and that we paid them, and hence there's really no need to thank them. However, it's mainly because they are scruffy, surly, and as soon as everyone's on board they'll drop the accelerator to the floor and send anyone not yet sitting hurtling towards the rear window.

So, who thinks they're worth a "Thank you driver!"?

andyc

I always thank the bus driver, even when I'm getting off from the middle. It's just what I do.

_Ed_

I do too. In fact I say "hi" and "thank you" when I get on and give the driver my ticket, and then I thank him or her again when I get off. I'm not entirely sure why since as you say they aren't usually very nice.

GotSpin

Depends. If im with mates I'll act all macho and won't say anything.

But usually, I say Thanks...

16 tins of Spam

_Ed_ said:
I do too. In fact I say "hi" and "thank you" when I get on and give the driver my ticket, and then I thank him or her again when I get off. I'm not entirely sure why since as you say they aren't usually very nice.
Yeah, when I get on it's the usual niceties. It's at the end when I'm thankful I'm still alive that I waver :unsure:

andyc

Speaking of buses, what is with those selfish gits who get a seat to themselves, and then sit on the outside of it, so no one else can get in to sit next to them? Really annoys me... everyone else has to sit next to a random, so why shouldn't they?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I always say "cheers mate" as I go out the door. Unless the bus driver is rude when I get on the bus. But there's really only a couple of drivers like that in Wagga.

GotSpin

andyc said:
Speaking of buses, what is with those selfish gits who get a seat to themselves, and then sit on the outside of it, so no one else can get in to sit next to them? Really annoys me... everyone else has to sit next to a random, so why shouldn't they?
I always do that.

And if i have a bag, I'll put it on the remainder of the seat

Smudge

If they were pleasant when I got on, then I say thanks when I depart. If they were grumpy, then I don't.

benchmark00

I always say "G'day mate" when getting on and say "Thanks champ" when leaving, even though 90% of them are ******s.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I usually say thanks to the driver, no harm in that is there? (Although people here seem to have forgotten how to say thank you in any situation, so I expect I'm in the minority)

Burpey

I definitely won't if I get off at the back. However, if I'm getting out at the front I usually will unless the driver acts like a ********.

_Ed_

GoT_SpIn said:
I always do that.

And if i have a bag, I'll put it on the remainder of the seat
Really annoys me when people do that.

Also really annoys me that I always end up taking about 15-20% of the seat when I sit next to someone and they have the rest. Not very comfortable.