• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Bahseph

Hmm. Happy with the Smith appointment. But who's going to get the captaincy? It's either Markram or Bavuma imo. Rassie isn't going to be around for that long.

Dendarii

How much captaincy experience does Rassie have? It does seem a little like the only reason his name is being brought up in these discussions is that they're just listing all the batsmen who are likely to be in the team going forward as potential candidates.

SeamUp

Maybe even Kesh ? But most likely between those 3 batsmen.

I see CSA has arranged a T20 series with India in August. Being behind closed doors won't hurt financially. Would still need to make up 2 small limited overs tours to Sri Lanka and India possibly.

In the winter now 47 identified players less IPL players were to go into a camp. Part of the reasoning was that Smith/Boucher/coaches felt players are well short of where they need to be with understanding and tactical part of the game. So lots of conversations as well as training would have been a crucial part of it.

Charl Langeveldt name dropped Glenton Stuurman, Stefan Tait, Lifa Ntanzi and Gerald Coetzee as young bowlers who would have been there. The key to was to carry on the opportunity young players got at the back of the end the summer to grow their talent and knowledge. Right now though it is personal fitness. Graeme Smith spoke to each one of them personally which is a nice touch.

Watching Graeme and listening to his interview with Pommie it really seems like it has been a massive effort so far and there is still so much more to come. Getting the relationship with SACA sorted along with being more financially prudent but creative (getting sponsors back on side) have been the initial areas outside of excellence in the game he wanted sorted.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Definitely an option but it would mean that they couldn't ever go with all-seam attack, although that's not something I'd have a problem with.
Outside a green Wanderers and an occasional Aussie tour we should never be going in with an all seam attack.

But I don't think Kev is really going to be considered. Listening to Smith speak I get the feeling that he wants QDK to grow into the captaincy role using the LO as a starting point. I expect a 'temporary' captain (a year or two) in either Rassie or Elgar. I get the feeling that the Test team is becoming secondary (or more long term plans) while SA try win a LO tournament and sort out domestic structure.

Last edited:

GoodAreasShane

Young probably the incorrect word :D But yeah 28 and a late developer on to the professional scene.

From what I have seen , he won't be a star but he does look a bowler worth trying to grow.
Yeah from what I've seen he definitely has some talent, not express but hits the deck and gets some awkward bounce and seam

Just reminds me of noted 36 year old young gun Shaun Marsh

Dendarii

I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with developing players who are a little bit older to build a bit of depth. Injuries happen, so it's useful to have players who can come in and deliver a solid performance if required. There can be a danger in focusing too much on older players, which is what we saw recently, but the odd one here and there like Stuurman should be fine.

StephenZA

Them talking about camps of 40+ players is not selecting the best for a national 15 squad, that is well beyond just trying to create depth for the national squad. That is trying to improve players at a domestic level and give those good quality FC players a chance to improve with the best. It feels like a big upliftment program for the entire domestic structure. Which is a good tack to take for long term improvement.