• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Survey - Player Abuse

Loony BoB

I have received an email from one of our players questioning the way people are being punished, particularly with regards to people who often trade banter between themselves and, when one decides to use an insult, a line is crossed. This player would like to suggest a change so that individuals can trade insults as banter without any fear of punishment, provided both parties are 'dishing it out'.

I've talked with the player a bit regarding this and we agreed that his proposal is as follows:

"When insults are exchanged between two individuals in a manner that ONLY insults the two individuals and no others directly or indirectly (by means of racism and so forth), it should be pardoned as personal banter."

The flaws in this that I can see at the moment are...

1) When is it okay? How do we know when two players are okay with trading insults? Do we assume they are until they report the other player, or do we assume they are not until they let us know they are alright with things? Is it up to the players involved to do the reporting or can someone else report abuse towards other players? What happens if a player 'assumes' that it was okay to insult someone but the person they insulted did not like it? What happens when someone was okay originally with things that were being said, but then someone insulted them in a way that they thought was going too far, and decided to report them anyway? How far can these insults go?
2) Reputation. Would this 'allowed abuse' damage the reputation of the CW XI Dev League? Would you guys be okay with being around a group of people who are trading insults that you might see as crude? Would it bother you at all?
3) Forums Staff Even if this was considered to be okay, obviously the forums staff can decide if someone is crossing the line from tolerable to intolerable when it comes to what they say in their posts. It's possible that James and his staff might not want people to be able to insult each other in such a way.

I would appreciate it if everyone could discuss the proposal and the questions that are posed regarding it in this thread. If most of you are in favour of this proposal then I will pass it on to the captains and CWBCC to discuss further, but for now I'd like to see if this is what the players want - and if the forums will actually allow for it.

FaaipDeOiad

There's a clear distinction between casual banter and actual abuse, IMO. The post that Chaulk got suspended for was obviously abuse, but there's very little of that around really, and I think the whole thing is a storm in a teacup. I've not seen an epidemic of abuse against players, just the usual banter and so on.

I don't really care about abuse either, but if people do want it removed then I'd much prefer that it didn't cut into the banter which is a large part of what makes the dev league actually enjoyable.

Loony BoB

I understand this would relate to insults such as calling people abusive names and so forth. With regards to things such as "haha, you got out", I don't believe that is considered abuse.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
It's a facile argument trying to pretend that there hasn't been banter before. There has been banter for all eleven seasons of the Dev League. Simulations don't function without interaction and competition between people. The difference between then and now is that we were capable of conducting ourselves without every second word being asterisked out.

CWLand isn't a mature audience game. It's supposed to be for everybody; free-for-all abuse isn't for everybody - the same goes for the whole of the forum, it's very easy for a newcomer to be intimidated by a bunch of people with in-talk and in-abuse - even if it doesn't mean anything to you, it will to others. It drags the whole atmosphere down.

cbuts

i personally think, this season it has gotten too much, and has become childish. everyone loves a joke, but seems to me this season has been more about posting crap about tohers than actually the cricket itself

Dravid

Now exactly what is going on and what happened? Sorry but I followed nothing but my teams performance during the season and then I start reading these posts and I'm like what happened? Someone mind explaining to me?

steds

Loony BoB said:
I understand this would relate to insults such as calling people abusive names and so forth. With regards to things such as "haha, you got out", I don't believe that is considered abuse.
I am of the opinion that everyone (apart from Halsey) has the right to an opinion and a right to express it. Therefore, if x thinks y is a ****, he has as much a right to tell y he thinks he is a **** as y does to make x the butt of a joke because of some numbers thrown up by some stupid computer program.

Loony BoB

steds said:
I am of the opinion that everyone (apart from Halsey) has the right to an opinion and a right to express it. Therefore, if x thinks y is a ****, he has as much a right to tell y he thinks he is a **** as y does to make x the butt of a joke because of some numbers thrown up by some stupid computer program.
Unfortunately for yourself and those that think that way, it seems at this time that the government, the CWBCC, the panel of captains and the majority of players all disagree.

If the majority of players ever do express a desire for more open rights to express opinion in whatever way they see fit, though, then I'll be more than happy to push this matter forward as the view of the Player's Association.

Mister Wright

AFAIC there is far too much disrespect in CW Cricket at the moment. I recently got a little hot under the collar, and I started out something as a joke and have admitted I took it too far, but there were underlying circumstances in certain players continually having a go at my team.

There's nothing worse than going into your own team's thread and finding ridiculous comments from other teams, it's very frustrating.

There is too much swearing going on in posts.

Personally, I don't think people should complain about an abusive post someone has made about someone (unless it's racist etc) and only if the person beigng abused feels it's out of line should report it.

ash chaulk

sometimes i just swear because thats whats in my head.... never mean to hurt anyone and i hope that people realise that these are just "words" even tho i realise that it shouldnt be tolerated i cant help myself.

Mister Wright

ash chaulk said:
sometimes i just swear because thats whats in my head.... never mean to hurt anyone and i hope that people realise that these are just "words" even tho i realise that it shouldnt be tolerated i cant help myself.
They have support groups for those kinds of things...I think...

ash chaulk

The following offenses are punishable by the CWBCC:
1. Blatant insults directed at Dev League players, teams or coaching staff.

dont insult me

(this is only a joke)

Mister Wright

ash chaulk said:
The following offenses are punishable by the CWBCC:
1. Blatant insults directed at Dev League players, teams or coaching staff.

dont insult me

(this is only a joke)
It was less of an insult and more of a way of helping out a fellow cricketer with a problem.

Just trying to share the love (been watching too much sunrise).