• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Thank God You're Here

cameeel

Absolutely brilliant show, but what's the point of Tom Gleisner?

Is he on the show because he created the concept? 'cause it certainly isn't for his judging ability. Jimoin was a shocker, give the vote to the audience or something.

Burpey

Yeah, Tom's speeches are lame and doesn't give to the best performer anymore. I can't believe Ahn Do won a few weeks ago, worst person to ever be on it.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
It's alright, but could be a whole lot better if they tweaked the format.

Personally, I think there's enough talent to have our own version of Whose Line Is It Anyway

Burpey

I reckon Ed Kavalee is wasted in the ensemble cast, have him on as a contestant I say.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I think a lot of TGYH's appeal comes in it's relative simplicity - after you've watched the first show, you know what it's all about. Tom Gleisner's role has potential, just for someone who uses less obvious gags and less puns.

Mr Casson

Hoggy31 said:
Poor show, just cancel it and bring back 'The Panel' please, Channel 10.
That was an awesome show. So was Good News Week, I can't believe that isn't on anymore.

Kweek

we got a dutch version of that show here...
1st epi was brilliant

after that it totally flopped.

Kweek

btw: I hope you do realise that there are just 4 milion more people in Australia then in The Netherlands...

andyc

Top show IMO. A lot of it is on youtube too, if anyone's interested in checking it out.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Good News Week was only good when it was on the ABC. Channel 10 ****ed it.

This show is okay, but seriously, get rid of Shane Bourne. The guy just isn't funny.

chooka_nick

vic_orthdox said:
I think a lot of TGYH's appeal comes in it's relative simplicity - after you've watched the first show, you know what it's all about. Tom Gleisner's role has potential, just for someone who uses less obvious gags and less puns.
I'd push for guest judges, imo. Get someone like Santo or Pete Helliar (why hasnt he been on yet?) to give the audience's verdict.
Tom is part of Working Dog, the Australian company responsible for the show (and for the Panel, Late Show, the Castle et cetera).

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Thank God You're Here can be good, but can be woeful at the same time.

Intellectual improv and good spur of the moment gags makes for good showing, random improv for the sake of being random makes for cringeworthy television.

And The Panel would have been a great show had it not had Kate Langbroek, possibly the dumbest female in the world, on it. Really really used to piss me off the way she talked to the guests, just a fat airhead really. Fat, and nothing but air in the head.

age_master

Jono said:
Thank God You're Here can be good, but can be woeful at the same time.

Intellectual improv and good spur of the moment gags makes for good showing, random improv for the sake of being random makes for cringeworthy television.

i have to agree, the host / judge team are lame at the moment. some of the contestants tend to be funny and some aren't. As a ganeral rule i dont think the senario's for this series are as good as the first. I think they should try and get some of the american whose line is it anyway contestants over for it, they would be so much better then alot of these radio comedians they are getting on at the moment.

Slow Love™

I've watched the show sporadically this season, while last season I watched it more regularly. Not because I perceived any great dip in quality, just had other things going on.

My favorite performers in general are the ones that really sieze control of the scenarios - like Frank Woodley and Josh Lawson. Tony Martin and Shaun Micallef are always funny though. Rowsthorn has some great highs, but can occasionally be mediocre, and Anh Do was diabolical. They seem to have a lot of trouble getting a decent woman on the show - maybe Judith Lucy could be given a go.

And yeah, Tom Gleisner does seem to take the attitude of sharing the winners trophy around - he's at times given it to the noticably worst performer. No harm in having somebody be a recurring winner that the others have to beat. Don't mind Shane Bourne though.