• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Book Thread

DriveClub

Listening to audiobook of Prisoners of Geography by Tim Marshall. For a geopolitic noob like me its perfect. Helps me understand the complicated global politics.
Really into history now after this. On the lookout for good historical books on Indian subcontinent and central Asia.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Based on several recommendations, I just bought ‘The illicit happiness of other people’ by Manu Joseph.

DriveClub

Stumbled across another fascinating read: Sapiens A brief history of humankind by Yuval Noah Harari. I'm a changed man now, love it

smalishah84

The Tiger King
Currently reading book 1 of the farseer trilogy as well as Musashi. I think farseer book 1 will have to take a backseat. I am loving Musashi, reminds me of James Clavell's shogun.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Based on several recommendations, I just bought ‘The illicit happiness of other people’ by Manu Joseph.
This was excellent. Dark comedy in the bleakest of situations mixed with whodunnit and psych-thriller. Loved the portrayal of 90s Chennai. The premise is basically a drunk journalist father obsessively researching the life of his 17 yo son who committed suicide.

Really cool to see contemporary Indian fiction in the style of RK Narayan.

Has anybody here read any Kissinger? Thinking of reading one of his geo-politics books.

Last edited:

Sudeep

I loved The Stand. I did audiobook though, and it was narrated fairly well. The length of the book didn't bother me; I didn't feel bored at any point. The premise is excellent, and King's character work is brilliant. I started It after reading The Stand, expecting that would be a similar read (in terms of big book, but a breeze to read/listen), but I've gotten bogged down at different points along the story (and still haven't completed it).

Sudeep

I really liked Sapiens. I did audiobook for that as well. It was actually the first audiobook I ever listened, and it's narrated very well. Same narrator did the Homo Deus book, but I just didn't enjoy it as much, and quit after about the first 10% or so. It's a book along similar lines with A Short History of Nearly Everything, with a slightly smaller scope. Of course Bryson's humor makes his A Short History of Nearly Everything a better read/listen than Sapiens, but the latter was very good too!

I always have three on the go, one on my phone, one upstairs, one downstairs. This is because you can't **** around with hardbacks in the bath.

Mobile: The White People and Other Stories by Arthur Machen. I'm a Lovecraft obsessive but i've never read this before, somehow, so am looking forward to it. Spooooky.

Donwstairs:Something Deeply Hidden by Sean Carroll. There's always a #1 physicist and he always has a #1 book and this is his I guess. It's good, but he's got one of those chapters where a scientest and her dad discuss many worlds quantum physics, and you know what, gtf with that. Those chapters are always terrible. I don't want to hear about how many olives some kid's dad likes in his martini when I read this type of book. Or any type of book tbh. But he's so strong until he gets on to many worlds, I felt my understanding refreshed. He's married to many worlds though. I think this blinds him a little to the shortfalls.

Upstairs: 30 Second Brain by Amil Seth. This has been a big disappointment. The idea is that each page holds 30 seconds of vital information on a crucial point of the subject matter, in this case, the human brain. I was really stoked to read this but I haven't really had my mind blown tbh. It's not **** - probably my expectations were a little high.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Currently reading the third Dark Tower book, The Waste Lands. Like it. Suspect I will finish it in the next few days.

4th Dark Tower book is the best one imo.
wtf brother.

Is that Wizard and Glass?

Did not finish, and did not go near a Dark Tower until the last one. Stood in the shop reading the last chapter and absorbing dirty looks from the staff. Worked in a call centre at the time and no amount of service industry needle could hurt me.

One is the best for me by 100,000 miles and the best thing he wrote, also.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Current to-read list (inspired by UC's post in the political party thread, might try to pick that one up too):

Peter Pomerantsev - Nothing Is True and Everything Is Possible (non-fiction...or is it?!)
Cathy O'Neil - Weapons of Math Destruction (data scientist explores the ethical problems of her field)
Kjell Westö - Mirage 38 (historical novel of a post-Civil War society)
Fiann O'Brien - At Swim-To-Birds (doubt I'll ever finish this but should try)
Ta-Nehisi Coates - Between the World and Me
got through one out of five, and have since added about 30 that i'm probably never going to read.

i blame the weird cost models of amazon, booksellers, and the death of translated works

Uppercut

got through one out of five, and have since added about 30 that i'm probably never going to read.

i blame the weird cost models of amazon, booksellers, and the death of translated works
Nice, which one did you read?

Pomerantsev's latest is very good too. But it's so densely packed with insight that it takes a bit of time to get through, whereas Nothing is True is if anything hard to put down. You can tell which one was written when he was working as a documentary maker and which one he wrote while working as an academic.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Me and the SO are doing a thing where we read part of a classic book that neither of us has read before everyday and discuss it at the end of the day. We’re starting with Oliver Twist to be read over a period of ten days.

Read the first four chapters today and it was pretty gun.

>Dickens manages to both stick to describing specific scenes in minute detail (with the narrator often relegated to the role of a descriptor as opposed to a standalone storyteller) as well as always advancing the plot at the same time. In the first four chapters, Oliver has changed locations five times yet I know the specifics of his diet, boarding and authority figures in each location in memorable detail.

>love how the narration is fueled by CD’s deeply sarcastic rage against the machine.

>It’s unreal how CD manages to turn the grim reality of an orphan being raised in torturous conditions into the genre of dark comedy.

>There’s a lot of tropes and references that I now get.

Can’t wait for tomorrow’s allowance of gruel!

Last edited: