• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The England Thread

PY

Used to be Grevious Bodily Harmison but that nickname is out-of-date as he couldn't harm a fly at the moment.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I feel Bell's best position for the meantime is #6. He has done well their in the past, most notably against Pakistan last year and won't find the pressure as great compared to if he was coming in at 0/1 in the first over. In the future I think he'll develop into a #3 batsman, but not just at the moment. If England play 6 batsman then I would put Collingwood at #4, but if they weren't playing that many and Flintoff was at #6 then I would drop Colly down one and move Pietersen.
I'd probably bat Bell at 4 before I would Collingwood, to be honest. Collingwood is a gutsy player but I fell Bell is more of a top order player. The downside to that is the fact that Collingwood is completely dire when batting with the tail.

Perm

Used to be Grevious Bodily Harmison but that nickname is out-of-date as he couldn't harm a fly at the moment.
I see then, he did have a good game first up in the County Championship but at Test level he has been pretty poor for a while, apart from the odd spurt.

Perm

I'd probably bat Bell at 4 before I would Collingwood, to be honest. Collingwood is a gutsy player but I fell Bell is more of a top order player. The downside to that is the fact that Collingwood is completely dire when batting with the tail.
If it was a straight choice between Bell and Collingwood at #4 then I would choose Bell almost every time, however since the other batting spot available is #6 then you have to decide who is going to be better for the team. While Bell would be slightly better at #4 than Collingwood, he's a hell of a lot better #6 than Collingwood would be/is.

simmy

If it was a straight choice between Bell and Collingwood at #4 then I would choose Bell almost every time, however since the other batting spot available is #6 then you have to decide who is going to be better for the team. While Bell would be slightly better at #4 than Collingwood, he's a hell of a lot better #6 than Collingwood would be/is.
I would choose Bell. He has talented and this should be embraced. He has batted very well at test level (bar one series) and dropping him would be harsh.

Anyway... I very much doubt Tresco is coming but so this is neither here nor there.

How is Simon Jones? aka our best bowler...

Perm

I would choose Bell. He has talented and this should be embraced. He has batted very well at test level (bar one series) and dropping him would be harsh.

Anyway... I very much doubt Tresco is coming but so this is neither here nor there.

How is Simon Jones? aka our best bowler...
He was supposed to be making a full comeback for Glamorgan, but he didn't play for them in the latest round of cricket.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
What's wrong with Bell at 4 and Collingwood at 6 though?

With the batsmen at our disposal I don't see why we can't play 6 plus Flintoff, a keeper and 3 bowlers.

Perm

What's wrong with Bell at 4 and Collingwood at 6 though?

With the batsmen at our disposal I don't see why we can't play 6 plus Flintoff, a keeper and 3 bowlers.
Because Bell is a far better #6 than Collingwood, while he would only be marginally better at #4. Therefore, to do what is best for the team Collingwood should play a #4 and Bell should be at #6, that's the way I see it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If Jones bowls as he did in 2005, he > Hoggard and possibly Flintoff and certainly Panesar on a non-turning pitch.

If, however, he doesn't, he may be < all of them.

simmy

I would rate Jones above Panesar. It's difficult to judge him accurately because Jones has played so little Test cricket and quite obviously has immense talent, just a shame he's had so many injuries really.
Yeah, England have missed him massively.

Here's hoping he is back in the reckoning for this Summer.

Scaly piscine

Because Bell is a far better #6 than Collingwood, while he would only be marginally better at #4. Therefore, to do what is best for the team Collingwood should play a #4 and Bell should be at #6, that's the way I see it.
Bell is only better than Collingwood when up against rubbish bowling and under no pressure. Generally Collingwood > Bell.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
As shown by this World Cup quite clearly.

I distinctly remember that fine knock from Collingwood against Australia when England were 2 down very early on, especially in tandem with Bell not making it past 31 against any Test-playing nation...

Scaly piscine

As shown by this World Cup quite clearly.

I distinctly remember that fine knock from Collingwood against Australia when England were 2 down very early on, especially in tandem with Bell not making it past 31 against any Test-playing nation...
You mean where he got to 77, had the opportunity to do something that would make sure England would win/post a big total by going on like Collingwood does, but instead got out as Bell always does?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
77, as in 2 and a half times what Collingwood's best against proper nations you mean?

Unless of course you think that the Australian bowling attack is the worst, and it's the Canadians that really matter?

FBU

The way to the finals -

Pick -

a left arm swing bowler
a very fast right arm slingy type bowler
a mystery spinner
a tall economic right hand bowler

an attacking left handed opening batsman
a captain that leads by example

Unfortunately we couldn't even find one of these but both Australia and Sri Lanka have all of them.