• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Euthanasia debate

Deja moo

Are you pro choice or against it ?

Recently a wheelchair bound sufferer of muscular dystrophy in India moved court to allow him assisted suicide so that he could die peacefully and donate his organs before infection set in. The court rejected his plea. He died the day after the judgement was passed.

Craig

World Traveller
So it never made much difference to whether or not he was allowed to committ assisted suicide, except for a day.

Buddhmaster

In the case that you stated, you'd have to say it should be allowed. But sometimes it's just not needed. But if there was a vote, i'd be for it.

Deja moo

Thats not the point Craig. The question is whether people, under circumstances heve which irreversibly damaged any chance of leading a life of productivity and dignity, should have the right to end their life.

In this case, he had to wait for a long time while the case was sub-judice. His point was that he should be allowed to committ assisted suicide so that his organs could be donated before they were infected. As things turned out, the case dragged on and he ultimately died the day after the judgement was passed.

Son Of Coco

Craig said:
So it never made much difference to whether or not he was allowed to committ assisted suicide, except for a day.
But on the other hand, if you're in pain for years before you finally die it'd be awful. I'm for it if nothing can be done to make the person feel more comfortable. However, I think it should be that person's decision and not our idea of something that'd be terrible to live with.

KennyD

Well, if your a religious person, and various religions list suicide as a sin, well perhaps you shouldnt.

Yet Im a big fan of Euthenasia, and If i became a Doctor, a surgeon, and I opened up some guy with messed up insides, Carcinomas like melons, supreme pain, I would just tell my anesthisiest (sp) 'Just let him sleep a little more deeply'

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
KennyD said:
Well, if your a religious person, and various religions list suicide as a sin, well perhaps you shouldnt.

Yet Im a big fan of Euthenasia, and If i became a Doctor, a surgeon, and I opened up some guy with messed up insides, Carcinomas like melons, supreme pain, I would just tell my anesthisiest (sp) 'Just let him sleep a little more deeply'
*hopes beyond hope Kenny never becomes a doctor...*

*HIS doctor...*

Mister Wright

Until you have seen someone suffer right infront of your eyes, you cannot truely comment on the situation. I had my grandfather lie in agony for over a week before he passed away, it was terrible on the family to see him get worse every day, it would have been much more comforting if we could have said our goodbyes while he was still coherent, instead we have lasting memories of someone on their deathbad who didn't recognise us, and who we couldn't recognise ourselves. I am all for Euthanasia, if you and your family agree that your quality of life is not of benefit to anyone you should be allowed to go out on your own terms. Afterall isn't that what life is about?doing what you want?

There are many benefits to Euthanasia besides the easing of passing, there are opportunities for organ donation and beds for people who really need them.

My Grandmother is also heading down a similar path, although it is her mind that is going before her physical ailments, however she is still a shadow of how I remember her a few years ago. When the time comes I don't want her to suffer, and God knows I don't want to have to see another relative deteriorate within 5 years of each other.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Mister Wright said:
Until you have seen someone suffer right infront of your eyes, you cannot truely comment on the situation. I had my grandfather lie in agony for over a week before he passed away, it was terrible on the family to see him get worse every day, it would have been much more comforting if we could have said our goodbyes while he was still coherent, instead we have lasting memories of someone on their deathbad who didn't recognise us, and who we couldn't recognise ourselves. I am all for Euthanasia, if you and your family agree that your quality of life is not of benefit to anyone you should be allowed to go out on your own terms. Afterall isn't that what life is about?doing what you want?

There are many benefits to Euthanasia besides the easing of passing, there are opportunities for organ donation and beds for people who really need them.

My Grandmother is also heading down a similar path, although it is her mind that is going before her physical ailments, however she is still a shadow of how I remember her a few years ago. When the time comes I don't want her to suffer, and God knows I don't want to have to see another relative deteriorate within 5 years of each other.
Cracking post.. Fully agreed with

KennyD

Nnanden said:
*hopes beyond hope Kenny never becomes a doctor...*

*HIS doctor...*
Well, there are a lot of people in the world who would want me to be their doctor I think. Perhaps Mr Wright's grandfather who he wrote about having the pain would have liked someone with my views to be his doctor.

Mr Wright, I fortunately never had to experience someone I love in that condition, and I hope wont have to in the near future. But I think for conditions like that, euthenasia should definitely be OK!

Now i wonder how long before Cricket Player comess in and says "What do the children in asia have to do with people wanting to die?"