• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Unfair Play!!

Top_Cat

Good point, greatindia. That's why we have to keep an eye on ALL bowlers in the same way. I understand what you're saying (and let's face it, getting him to bowl at top pace would have been more statistically sound) but the difference in action between a 160 km/h delivery and a 145km/h delivery wouldn't be THAT great. Still, it might be that little bit extra which causes him to throw, who knows?

One more thing, the report (by University of Western Australia) page 9 clearly says ""increase in hyperextension is certainly against the letter of the law but not against the spirit of the law." Can you clarify that?

This is what i've been questioning about having a "law" and leaving it to individual and University interpretations. Then why have that law in the first place..take that damn law out and let chucking be a legal so there is no inherent advantage of one indiv over other. OR to get technical put some limits on the hyperextensions (so individuals exceeding that limit are prohibited from playing). It's like that profession golfer who had an injured leg and claimed handicap (that his limits should be different from any normal person)..sorry, but he can't compete with normal persons then..or find a different sport..enough said..he chucks (according to the letter of the cricket law..period)..who cares about the spirit of the law..in that case sportsmanship is also in spirit..who is upholding those spirit.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Top_Cat said:
but the difference in action between a 160 km/h delivery and a 145km/h delivery wouldn't be THAT great.
I personally would think there's a big difference between those 2 speeds - it's 10% more speed, so at least 10% more effort - it may be unwillingly, but the action may cross over into the realms of the uncertain.

I seem to remember Shoaib saying he'd not changed his action one bit...

Top_Cat

The letter of the law says that it's illegal to bend and then straighten your arm in the delivery action but makes no allowance for those whos arm bends back the wrong way (in relation to the elbow and snaps back, like Shoiab's does. The law was only designed to stop people from walking up to the crease and pinging the ball down, where the arm is bent and straightened but not extended. The law doesn't cover those whose arms hyper-extend beyond being perfectly straight.

I guess the big difference is in control; someone who throws the ball has control over whether their arm bends. Shoaib and co. do not. I mean, how COULD you control your arm bending back 40 degrees the wrong way? This is the crux of the issue for me.

Rik

The problem is some people on this board don't think those players should be playing cricket if they can't control it...

Bazza

Including me.

Top_Cat said:
No offense Bazza. :)
None taken but I'm afraid I'm still going to argue with you! :P

GI does make one very good point which is that if you say to someone "I'm going to watch you bowl to see if your action is legal", as opposed to "do whatever you can to get me a wicket" (for example), there are going to be very different outcomes.

I agree with Marc here as opposed to TC, in that I think there is a big difference between 140-145 and 160kph. It could be 1 or 2 percent which is enough to take you across that line, so 10% or so is a very big difference in relative terms, seeing as everyone can bowl 140kph, but not everyone can bowl 160.

luckyeddie said:
Sorry, Bazza, but your opinion is not shared by anyone who actually counts in the game (ICC)
Maybe not, but that's still my opinion and I'm afraid it won;t be changed! :D

V Reddy

Actually i saw in a tv program where Umpire Venkatraghavan was also there and he said that he thought that Murali and Shoiab chuck but do not report them b'coz anyway they are going to be cleared and also they are going to face problems after that. And Bedi was also there and he referred to Murali as a javelin thrower and said they shouldn't be allowed to play. He said that even he could have spun the ball that much if he bowled that much.

V Reddy

Maybe Ganguly also thinks he is a chucker but he doesn't want it to be known.Read at the end of this article.

Wright-handed compliment
By: Debashis Datta
March 5, 2003
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cape Town: Indian captain Sourav Ganguly has credited the team’s success to the three foreigners close to the team — coach John Wright, physiotherapist Andrew Leipus and physical instructor Adrian Le Roux.

“All of them are without their families for the last one-and-half years. They were as relentless as we were. Andrew Kokinos, who was the physical instructor in the last World Cup, was keen to make us toil. But we got often away.

“There is no escape now. Wright has made such an impact that we can’t go away without doing what he wants. I don’t know whether these three will be with us in the future, but for Indian cricket’s sake, they should.”

He is unhesitating in saying that this team is the best in the last 15 years. “Only two cricketers could have made it to this team — Kapil Dev and Mohammed Azharuddin. They would be playing for Ashish Nehra and Dinesh Mongia.

“Just give it a thought — Azhar, Yuvraj (Singh) and Mohammed (Kaif) fielding in the same team in the 30-yard circle! I have always said that if we had a Kapil Dev in our team, we would have been the champions.”

But what about Manoj Prabhakar, the man who ‘taught’ Kapil Dev how to bowl reverse swing? “With Kapil and Srinath operating with the new ball and Zaheer (Khan) as the first change, there is just no place for Manoj. We don’t want him to open the innings either,” came the reply.

The Indians are a happy lot now. But Ganguly can not take his mind off the opponents they had failed against in the tournament — Australia.

“(Adam) Gilchrist and (Mathew) Hayden are not among runs. England should have gone for the kill in their last match. I just fail to understand why Nasser (Hussain) didn’t use the experience of (Andrew) Caddick when Australia was eight down.

“(James) Anderson is a good prospect but Caddick has the experience to bowl in such situations. They needed only one wicket to have (Glenn) McGrath batting.”

So, is the skipper already thinking about a final showdown with the Aussies?

“Not now. We have three matches to be played in the Super six to qualify for the semis and we want to be the second or third team to qualify for the last four. I feel the Aussies will be the first team. If we have to play them once again, it’ll be better to play in the final.”

But he didn’t forget to add that if they qualify for the final, he would buy himself a Mercedes. “I have a passion for the best cars, I just can’t resist them.”

Ganguly was happy to hear that his father had distributed sweets to the people around his Behala residence in Kolkata after the Indians beat Pakistan in the last group match.

“That tells you that the situation is better. I can understand their mood when we play badly. Yet, we all are playing for the country and nobody is more frustrated than us when we lose a match.

“I read that the people in Pakistan had threatened to burn Shoaib’s (Akhtar) house if he plays the next match. That shouldn’t happen. Shoaib too was playing for his country and was eager to succeed. It’s different that Sachin (Tendulkar) was just unstoppable that day.”

But does he think that Shoaib chucks, to be able get such an awkward bounce? Ganguly offered many views but with a request that not a single word be printed!

“I can only tell you that when I got hit by one of his deliveries in Mohali in 1997, for the next month, I just could not sleep on a particular side,” Ganguly said.

warrioryohannan

Well the umpires who had reported Akhter for chucking have cleared him , in particular Steve Dunn who said in an interview that he had no doubt that Shoaib action were legal.Harper and Hair have also cleared Akhter.

But i guess some people will continue to raise hue and cry.Recently Lee was reprted for suspect action, then there were a couple of former English players that had called Harbhajan singh a chucker ,while some have reservation about Afridi's action.