• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What should we do with Mitchell Johnson?

What should be done with Mitchell Johnson?

• Total voters

Athlai

Not Terrible
Apologies if you feel offended by my generalisations.

But middle-aged women are characterised by an inability to control their temper, eternal crankiness and a tendency to worry incessantly about what their neighbours think. They spend their days desperately trying to look younger and as a result closely resemble harpies, often getting drunk on wine and crying until they're kicked out of the bar/house/public toilet they're in. Their voices are high-pitches and broken, causing all nearby listeners to suffer brain haemorrhages within five seconds. Regardless of their actual quality of life, they will complain incessantly about stress to anyone who will listen, insisting that their boss/husband/car is out to get them and this is ruining their chances of finding happiness again. The only respite from this life of pain is in the hot celeb goss of Hello! magazine.

One will inevitably point out to me that not all middle-aged women are like this, and glare smugly as though they have just gifted me with a bead of fantastic knowledge of which I truly had absolutely no idea of. Seemingly they'll be unaware that taking my obviously-insane rantings seriously, growing hugely offended and screaming at me like a banshee is going quite some way to proving my point that the vast majority of 40-55 year old mothers live in a permanent state of comically over the top PMS.

Lester's wife in American Beauty is the perfect depiction of the typical middle-aged woman.
Have to agree with Upper**** here a lot of those points ring true. Though I think he unfairly calls them the worst, all people are equally ****s. In time... maybe we can all learn to accept that.

Son Of Coco

His seam position in SA wasn't perfect either if you remember. I know for sure, from the club cricket i've played the duke ball is smaller than the kokabura as well & when you first feel the difference its takes a while to adjust.

Johnson arm has been fairly low in this series as well, so that tells me given the light weight of the ball he is trying to push the ball through. Theirfore he is losing that high arm action which is essential to his bowling.
I've played with it too, didn't have a problem keeping the seam upright though.

Son Of Coco

I dont think it possible they could have been preparing the likes of Johnson, Hifly & Siddle with the duke ball before they got to England, given the amount of cricket AUS have been playing.

So unfortunately its clear its a situation where he just hasn't adjusted to the duke ball.
Don't think that is clear to be honest. I think he's struggling with other things too. He's had problems with his arm being too low before using the Kookaburra.

I think some people are overplaying the mystical powers of the ball.

Uppercut

Weird, have met no women like that personally. Sounds like someone out of a soap opera. Personally can't understand how middle-aged women can be generalised as a worse group than any age group of men. ;)
Teenage boys are pretty poor. I still just about belong to that group and can tell they're largely ****s.

But at least they have a sense of humour. Middle-aged women generally don't.

four_or_six

Teenage boys are pretty poor. I still just about belong to that group and can tell they're largely ****s.

But at least they have a sense of humour. Middle-aged women generally don't.
Meh, this isn't the place for this discussion really. Anyway, suffice it to say I don't agree, and I don't really think you can generalise about any group of people like that. :)

aussie

Therefore its hardly surprisng to see him struggle, I don't agree with your Duke ball theory that you are coming up with, because Mitch has sprayed it around in the past too, while playing with other balls.
Johnson has gotten his accuracy together in test cricket since in IND 08, the last time he was wayward was in WI 08. That was totally different to know, because the crazy selection where trying to turn him into a swing bowler on that tour, so he basically abandoned his strenght & was awful.

Totally different to why he spraying it around in ENG currently. I wont say the duke ball theory IS THE MAIN REASON, but it has to be one of the reasons attributing to his woeful bowling, added to his personal issues which surely is having some affect on him.

Its too risky to pick Johnson ATM, he really had to AT LEAST run through the useless county side the other day. The "he is a x-factor player & we are backing him to come good" argument aint valid right now.

Take a leaf out of SRI's book recently with the dropping of Mendis. The balance of the bowling attack right now cant afford to pick Johnson. But its not the end of course, he could still go back to AUS the coming home summer & be back to his best.

aussie

I've played with it too, didn't have a problem keeping the seam upright though.
As i said Johnson in his career to date, he has never been perfect at keeping the seam upright, even in SA recently.

Don't think that is clear to be honest. I think he's struggling with other things too. He's had problems with his arm being too low before using the Kookaburra.
I'd say between IND 08 - in SA 09. Johnson hasn't had any probs with his arm positioning. The last time he had this problem was in WI 08, because on that tour he was trying to hard thanks to the stupid selectors to swing the ball. Thus he basically adandoned the fundamentals of his bowling.

I think some people are overplaying the mystical powers of the ball.
Well yes, it probably is the MAIN reason. But Johnson isn't the first bowler to have the problem of adjusting & he wont be the last. I read Akram in that cricinfo comment suggesting reasons for aiding Johnson, that he had problems on his first tour as well.

Lillian Thomson

Just when I thought I'd seen just about everything that there was to see on a cricket field up pops Mitchell Johnson and pitches two deliveries in the foot marks at the bowlers end. Top man.