• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your New Zealand World Cup Squad if selected today...

Hurricane

So questions for y'all and y'all have no idea how versatile a word y'all is until you have met someone from the South btw

Would you rest anyone for this upcoming match
Do you think McHesson will
If yes to any of the above who would you rest...

I would rest Corey for NMac
And would rest Southee and Boult.

Would give the rest of the batsman a run. Wouldn't bother playing Latham the other batsman need time in the middle.

Just don't see much point in this match for us except for the momentum word.

Days of Grace

This could be a dangerous game since we will be batting second against their spinners and it's in Hamilton. Hope we don't have our minds on the quarter-final already.

GGG

Anyone have any stats on Mills death bowling and also compared to Anderson? Keep reading that he is dire in the death but going through his ODI list the games I managed to find he didn't bowl that bad. Is it all about the Klusener assault?

wellAlbidarned

Anyone have any stats on Mills death bowling and also compared to Anderson? Keep reading that he is dire in the death but going through his ODI list the games I managed to find he didn't bowl that bad. Is it all about the Klusener assault?
The difference is that Anderson is a batsman. Being an acceptable bowler is a bonus so we don't need him to be brilliant.

Last edited:

GGG

But we are talking bowling at the death, not a time for a mediocre bowler to be bowling.

wellAlbidarned

But we are talking bowling at the death, not a time for a mediocre bowler to be bowling.
Well we don't exactly know how good anderson is at the death because recently we've had very few situations where we haven't bowled a team out. We do know that Mills has been pretty bad whenever the situation has arised. There was a period a few years ago when management were insistent on giving him 3-5 overs in the last 10 and it never worked out.

GGG

I am really struggling to find games where he been taken to the cleaners, lots of early finishes etc and him not bowling at the death. The few I did find around that time he seems to have bowled OK 5th ODI: West Indies v New Zealand at Basseterre, Jul 16, 2012 | Cricket Commentary | ESPN Cricinfo 2nd ODI: South Africa v New Zealand at Kimberley, Jan 22, 2013 | Cricket Commentary | ESPN Cricinfo but he did go for runs in a few as well 1st ODI: South Africa v New Zealand at Paarl, Jan 19, 2013 | Cricket Commentary | ESPN Cricinfo and a England game but they were cruising and in his one over he went for 9 off 4 balls.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc-cha...e/match/578624.html?innings=1;view=commentary
http://www.espncricinfo.com/sri-lan...e/match/668961.html?innings=1;view=commentary - seems to be the last time he bowled at the death 2 overs 2/16.

Southee, Boult, Mills and Vettori.

Last edited:

Zinzan

I am really struggling to find games where he been taken to the cleaners, lots of early finishes etc and him not bowling at the death. The few I did find around that time he seems to have bowled OK 5th ODI: West Indies v New Zealand at Basseterre, Jul 16, 2012 | Cricket Commentary | ESPN Cricinfo 2nd ODI: South Africa v New Zealand at Kimberley, Jan 22, 2013 | Cricket Commentary | ESPN Cricinfo but he did go for runs in a few as well 1st ODI: South Africa v New Zealand at Paarl, Jan 19, 2013 | Cricket Commentary | ESPN Cricinfo and a England game but they were cruising and in his one over he went for 9 off 4 balls.

11th Match, Group A: England v New Zealand at Cardiff, Jun 16, 2013 | Cricket Commentary | ESPN Cricinfo
1st ODI: Sri Lanka v New Zealand at Hambantota, Nov 10, 2013 | Cricket Commentary | ESPN Cricinfo - seems to be the last time he bowled at the death 2 overs 2/16.

Southee, Boult, Mills and Vettori.
It's a myth. Anderson is allowed to be one our of most expensive bowlers ever of all time, yet apparently Mills gets smashed all over the shop after his opening spell, just because his last 3 overs aren't as good as his usual opening spell of 7 overs 1-25. Go figure.

hendrix

It's a myth. Anderson is allowed to be one our of most expensive bowlers ever of all time, yet apparently Mills gets smashed all over the shop after his opening spell, just because his last 3 overs aren't as good as his usual opening spell of 7 overs 1-25. Go figure.
That's bull****.

Anderson has almost exclusively bowled at the death for the last year or so. He was terrible at first but he's now genuinely pretty good.

There's no room for Mills unless Southee or Boult drop out.

Zinzan

Load of ****

I wouldn't have Mills either atm, but that doesn't change the fact its a total myth that he's the worst at the death just like it is that Anderson is good, But don't let me stop you thinking he's an awesome death bowler.

GGG is right - produce the spells Mills has been murdered time and time again.

hendrix

Load of ****

I wouldn't have Mills either atm, but that doesn't change the fact its a total myth that he's the worst at the death just like it is that Anderson is good, But don't let me stop you thinking he's an awesome death bowler.

GGG is right - produce the spells Mills has been murdered time and time again.
I feel like you're being obtuse here. Mills has not bowled at the death because it's a known quantity that he's not good at. Everyone in NZ - including the coaches and the captain - have known that for years. That was the point in investing in Anderson at the death. You can only take 4 bowlers and an allrounder. Anderson's role is to aim for 7 an over.