• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Knockout Stages

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I remember reading a soccer pundit or former player saying about 10-12 years back that Club football will over take the importance of the world cup or some thing on those lines. He even ridiculously suggested hosting the tournament once every two years. There is nothing like the world cup. Best tournament.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Chile losing it when they get to the final third though. Horrible crosses, passes that are belted at each other or misdirected, unnecessary speculative shots going miles off target. Been irritating because they need to score to make it a better game.

Pothas

Brazil are just amazing to watch.
Good to watch on the counter certainly, not sure about the rest of the time.

Shame but it has been fairly comfortable for Brazil.

Mark Gonzalez is just ****.

ITV's support of the officials is so anoying.

R_D

Pratters... It would've been a very soft penalty...

Good goals by Brazil..... Chile didn't do too much wrong aside from conceding those 2 goals..

The guy on left wing should learn to cross though.

grecian

Good to watch on the counter certainly, not sure about the rest of the time.

Shame but it has been fairly comfortable for Brazil.

Mark Gonzalez is just ****.

ITV's support of the officials is so annoying.

It's not annoying at all, I'm not actually listening or watching it, but I think they're spot on :p

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I remember reading a soccer pundit or former player saying about 10-12 years back that Club football will over take the importance of the world cup or some thing on those lines. He even ridiculously suggested hosting the tournament once every two years. There is nothing like the world cup. Best tournament.
It depends how you look at it. Because of being the only truly global sporting event outside of the Olympics, the World Cup will always be football's showpiece. Financially, I'd imagine winning the Champions League is worth a lot more, although if England were to ever win the WC again the winning team could live off endorsements for the rest of their lives so maybe not.

As for how the spectators see it - in this country there is a fairly even divide between which people care more about, club or country. I have no desire to ignite that debate (as that **** grecian once said, it's not like we have to choose) but the fact that it exists at all suggests that club football is more important to many people than the World Cup.

That being said Pratters, couldn't agree more than with your last two sentences. As down as I feel today, I'll feel very sad on Wednesday when we have a day without a game for the first time. Puts me on a massive downer every time.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I'll feel very sad on Wednesday when we have a day without a game for the first time. Puts me on a massive downer every time.
I'll be glad I can sleep. I go to sleep at 2 AM and then go to my factory at 7 AM (even on ****ing Sundays). Australians have it much tougher than me though I imagine. Always feel very nice watching sports late in the night right from the Indian tour to South Africa in 1993. Feel warm towards some one like Pasag and others following IPL in the wee hours, Fuller following the football so ardently. Ashes is always special to you guys and to cricket in general and time difference adds to the charm of the English and Australian fan's viewing experiences.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Dunno, much prefer a decent timezone myself :p

Felt tormented enough getting up at 7.30 over Xmas to watch us rout the Saffas, felt like a waste of being off work

I do like the idea of staying up and watching cricket all night this winter but in truth it kills me

Zinzan

Haha, it must look a lot harsher when you don't live in the midst of the England hype machine.
Uppers, I'm well aware of the hyped-up media machine there, that still doesn't entitle Sir Alex & co to blatantly & so obviously 'stir-up' the English fans the way they did this time yesterday.