• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to the 2010/11 Ashes

zaremba

Tbh, cant make up my mind whether that is good or bad for Oz
My first thought was that it could be a blessing in disguise for England. I've never really believed in Anderson as a credible proposition in Australia, and if this means that Tremlett gets in the team then it may work in our favour. Finn, Broad, Tremlett makes for a worryingly one-dimensional pace attack, but they would not be a pleasant proposition on pitches with any pace and bounce.

TT Boy

Surely if this was a big deal it would have been reported at the time? Or by Anderson on Twitter or some ****. "Rib broken, raped by Monty, thx".

Son Of Coco

I wouldn't be surprised if Swann disappoints slightly in Australia given the expectation after his recent form. His form before the last Ashes was pretty good too. We also heard a lot about how good Anderson had become before the last Ashes...and he turned out to be pretty much the same as he had been previously - good in conditions that suit, and went missing when they didn't.

Swann may have improved mightily though, so it will be interesting to see how he goes in Oz. I certainly wouldn't discount him going well given how people have been talking him up of late. He did well in SA after all.

Uppercut

My first thought was that it could be a blessing in disguise for England. I've never really believed in Anderson as a credible proposition in Australia, and if this means that Tremlett gets in the team then it may work in our favour. Finn, Broad, Tremlett makes for a worryingly one-dimensional pace attack, but they would not be a pleasant proposition on pitches with any pace and bounce.
It's conventional wisdom that banging it in is the way to success in Australia but there's barely been a bowler this millennium to go there and support that theory. Even the ones that bowled really well got absolutely smashed- check out how many wickets Kemar Roach and Ishant Sharma left with.

Australia's recent home batting failures have all been exclusively down to swing. At the SCG last year against Asif and Sami, at the MCG the year before when Steyn took ten and at Perth the year before that against (of all people) RP Singh and Irfan Pathan. Jimmeh's absolutely crucial.

four_or_six

Jimmy. :(

Stupid Buchanan, I've no idea why we had to have one of his 'bonding sessions'. Didn't a couple of Aussies get injured at theirs last time round?

Scaly piscine

Retarded training strikes again. I thought we'd got over a lot of this when Moores got the boot, with the almost regular pre-Test injury.

Can you imagine if Swann had gotten injured? ****ing stupid.

Flem274*

123/5
It's conventional wisdom that banging it in is the way to success in Australia but there's barely been a bowler this millennium to go there and support that theory. Even the ones that bowled really well got absolutely smashed- check out how many wickets Kemar Roach and Ishant Sharma left with.

Australia's recent home batting failures have all been exclusively down to swing. At the SCG last year against Asif and Sami, at the MCG the year before when Steyn took ten and at Perth the year before that against (of all people) RP Singh and Irfan Pathan. Jimmeh's absolutely crucial.
Yeah that's true actually. Last time we were there our only swing bowler, Southee, was the one who had the most succesful innings. Even when Grant Elliott trundled in for a couple of overs in the first test he made Clarke or someone look a bit concerned when he was getting a bit of swing. O'Brien was the only bang-it-in bowler to look remotely threatening across the series.

England will be missing a trick if they don't replace Anderson with another swing bowler I reckon. Who is the next best swing bowler over there?

zaremba

You could well be right, dammit.

andyc

Jimmy. :(

Stupid Buchanan, I've no idea why we had to have one of his 'bonding sessions'. Didn't a couple of Aussies get injured at theirs last time round?
Seem to remember about MacGill doing something to his knee, but can't be sure on that.

Only a matter of time before Warne uses this injury as an opportunity to attack Buchanan, though.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Swann did have good form prior to the 09 Ashes - but he had only played seven Tests IIRc. With the experience he has gained over the previous year he has come on leaps and bounds, so I don't really think it's an apt comparison.

Also, yeah Anderson is a devil when the conditions and all that jazz, but his record over the past year or so is tremendous, write him off at your peril.

England to win by five or six Tests IMO.