• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at the Adelaide Oval

howardj

We are in the worst of both worlds - we are old and we are losing.

Thanks Messrs Hilditch, Boon, Cock, and Hughes.

Bun

Banned
Another problem is that we haven't had enough young players blooded during the golden years. There aren't enough players with that broad, 50, 60, 70 test-match experience to really guide the younger blokes.
Lee was there to mentor Johnson in the early part of his career. It was upto Johnson to take it forward which didn't happen.

All this is Hodge's curse.

Son Of Coco

They actually started it in the late 80s mate. It started to bear fruit in 89. By 91 they were challenging for top spot.
Yeah, totally agree with getting back to the selection policies of the mid-80's and early 90's. Guys like Boon, S.Waugh, Hughes, M.Taylor, McGrath, Warne all benefited from being backed in at a young age.

If we have young guys there now who are showing some promise, give them a chance. It can't be easy to stay motivated to perform over years and years of non-selection. Give them something to play for.

Personally, I'd look at giving O'Keefe a chance and also put Copeland on notice (unless there's a good reason for not choosing someone who currently has a FC average of around 17 and has taken 50+ wickets).

chalky

Another problem is that we haven't had enough young players blooded during the golden years. There aren't enough players with that broad, 50, 60, 70 test-match experience to really guide the younger blokes.
I remember people saying that about the West Indies for about 10 years the fact was the young blokes just wern't good enough, is the same true of Australia?

Last edited:

Burgey

All the guys who recently beat the best team in the world in their own backyard (SA in SA) are still available.

We are not in transition at present, and therefore should not accept losing.

And nor are we a young side at present.

When we actually move towards blooding young players, then yes we should expect to lose a few more games, and yes then we will be in transition.
But mate I think that mind set is very much part of the problem.

I heard it said before Brisbane that this was one of the reasons they went with Hilf, Sid and Johnson. But that series vs SA was nearly two years ao now. You begin to question whether those fellas are kicking on, and I find it disturbing that the selectors are looking at that series in early 2009 as a reason for picking blokes at the fag end of 2010 and however many lack lustre performances later.

howardj

Yeah, totally agree with getting back to the selection policies of the mid-80's and early 90's. Guys like Boon, S.Waugh, Hughes, M.Taylor, McGrath, Warne all benefited from being backed in at a young age.

If we have young guys there now who are showing some promise, give them a chance. It can't be easy to stay motivated to perform over years and years of non-selection. Give them something to play for.

Personally, I'd look at giving O'Keefe a chance and also put Copeland on notice (unless there's a good reason for not choosing someone who currently has a FC average of around 17 and has taken 50+ wickets).
yes, and what is wrong with picking Smith - good FC batting average, already has a Test 70 to his name and has a lot of upside to his bowling.

And Usman - averages 50+.

Geez, those records are not much more than Martyn, SWaugh, Langer, Slater etc had when the selectors took a chance on them.

Who gives a **** if they didn't perform in an Australia A game.

Spark

Global Moderator
But we didn't even give them a chance!

Surely Clarke wasn't the only decent 23, 24 year old running around at the time?

Smudge

Well, well, that was a hiding. Went for a walk around the Eastern Beaches Coastal Walk, stopped off at Oporto at Coogee Beach for a burger and saw they were 5 down. 20 minutes later, back in Clovelly, and the Aussies have capitulated. The problem for Aussie I see is that it seems to be a case of the old cattle being no better or worse than the calves waiting on the sidelines.

Bun

Banned
Ricky Ponting sadly has to go. Fresh perspective is needed and for that a man with so much of baggage, and proven inability to move on since the end of goldenera has to be replaced. Ricky the batsman however is still indispensable.

Spark

Global Moderator
I wouldn't have dropped anyone at that time.

But I definitely wouldn't have picked Symonds when Martyn retired, and I'd be leaning towards youth when Langer went.

Burgey

Ricky Ponting sadly has to go. Fresh perspective is needed and for that a man with so much of baggage, and proven inability to move on since the end of goldenera has to be replaced. Ricky the batsman however is still indispensable.
Ok, make Clarke captain.

Are the bowlers suddently going to bowl tight lines and lengths? If you want someone to put the fear of God into the bowlers about their performances, get AB back as skipper!!!

howardj

But mate I think that mind set is very much part of the problem.

I heard it said before Brisbane that this was one of the reasons they went with Hilf, Sid and Johnson. But that series vs SA was nearly two years ao now. You begin to question whether those fellas are kicking on, and I find it disturbing that the selectors are looking at that series in early 2009 as a reason for picking blokes at the fag end of 2010 and however many lack lustre performances later.
Good point.

Let's get started then.

These losses would be far more palatable if Hughes, Usman, Smith etc were on the end of them, than some of the 30+ plus chaps.

As your list indicates, our cupboard is not exactly bare. It's not overflowing, but geez there's some promise there.

howardj

wat

Apart from looking very ordinary against England's back up seamers?
It was one game, mate

That's the nature of batting, you can get nipped out quickly.

Jesus christ, is a FC average of 50+ over a couple of years not good enough for people?

It's all that Hayden, Langer, Slater, Martyn etc had.

Spark

Global Moderator
Good point.

Let's get started then.

These losses would be far more palatable if Hughes, Usman, Smith etc were on the end of them, than some of the 30+ plus chaps.

As your list indicates, our cupboard is not exactly bare. It's not overflowing, but geez there's some promise there.
I agree. Whoever gets the big gig next has to do what AB did.

But most of all they have to survive the public, because **** me a lot of the public are acting like spoilt, whiny toerags right now.

Burgey

I agree. Whoever gets the big gig next has to do what AB did.

But most of all they have to survive the public, because **** me a lot of the public are acting like spoilt, whiny toerags right now.
It's only because they've been spoiled mate. A lot of supporters aren't old enough to recall the bad old days

chalky

But we didn't even give them a chance!

Surely Clarke wasn't the only decent 23, 24 year old running around at the time?
Yeah but not decent enough to get past

Hayden, Langer, Ponting, Martyn et al

Anyway am gonna go back to the West Indies example when it was said they could chose from a pool of at least 10 fast bowlers of equal quality during the mid to late 80's but once Marshall retired and Bishop got injured there was nothing behind Ambrose and Walsh the same is true of Aussie batsman with likes of Lehman, Love, Law etc (who would have had good test careers) all finishing their careers the same time as test incumbants and the next generation just not being as good.