• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at the Adelaide Oval

Pothas

Bloody hell just got back from work, my bloody manager made me wait around for half an hour for no good reason but oh well so happy anyway.

Burgey

Sorry who's our ready made captain in waiting? Clarkes spots even been questioned lately, hardly what you want from a captain.....
Really don't know where Australian cricket is at at the moment.
Look, you play the hand you're dealt.

If you don't have the players you don't have them. All you can do is have the systems in place to make sure you get the best out of the talent you do have. To that end the infrastructure is in place with academies etc.

If the players that are about aren't as good (and let's be honest we were spoilt for a decade or more) then it's up to the selectors to identify those who at least have the right mindset. In the 80s (and we're miles away from that nadir) the selectors bit the bullet and chose players who weren't ready at the time but who they saw as having the right mentality to thrive at Test level once they got experience. Guys like Healy, Boon, S Waugh, even Merv Hughes were persisted with for a few years. I think the worst thing Australia can do is chop and change a lot. Rather they should identify a core group of younger players and give them time.

The problem really is the selectors who are there now (with the excpetion of GC who was part of the panel in the 80s) don't have the stones to do it.

Well played England. A proper thrashing that. Now I'm back here though the slide will be arrested and no doubt we'll clean up and win 3-1.

Last edited:

Adamc

Cricinfo currently displaying the following:

Australia 245 & 304 v England 620/5d
Australia won by an innings and 71 runs

Their system clearly not equipped to deal with an innings win by England.

Burgey

Cricinfo currently displaying the following:

Australia 245 & 304 v England 620/5d
Australia won by an innings and 71 runs

Their system clearly not equipped to deal with an innings win by England.
Haha, don't think anyone's system is.

outbreak

Look, you play the hand you're dealt.

If you don't have the players you don't have them. All you can do is have the systems in place to make sure you get the best out of the talent you do have. To that end the infrastructure is in place with academies etc.

If the players that are about aren't as good (and let's be honest we were spoilt for a decade or more) then it's up to the selectors to identify those who at least have the right mindset. In the 80s (and we're miles away from that nadir) the selectors bit the bullet and chose players who weren't ready at the time but who they saw as having the right mentality to thrive at Test level once they got experience. Guys like Healy, Boon, S Waugh, even Merv Hughes were persisted with for a few years. I think the worst thing Australia can do is chop and change a lot. Rather they should identify a core group of younger players and give them time.

The problem really is the selectors who are there now (with th eexcpetion of GC who was part of the panel in the 80s) don't have the stones to do it.

Well played England. A proper thrashing that. Now I'm back here though the slide will be arrested and no doubt we'll clean up and win 3-1.
I think we do need abit of chop and changing before we decide on the core group that we persist with. More in relation to our older players. Personally i have no problem with Clarke in the side i'm just not convinced he should be captain but as you've said we need to make do with what we have. I expect us to hit even lower in the comming year in test cricket.

chalky

Man of the Match: Swann, Anderson or Pietersen

Think I would go for Anderson his 1st innings performance set the game up IMHO

Jacknife

Those extra runs that were added yesterday, has proved to vindicate Strauss' decision to bat on a while yesterday morning.

howardj

Ponting only got it half right when he said our character was going to be shown by what we did in our 2nd innings. It was really shown by what we did in our first innings, when the game was on the line.

flibbertyjibber

Ponting only got it half right when he said our character was going to be shown by what we did in our 2nd innings. It was really shown by what we did in our first innings, when the game was on the line.
To be fair there wasn't much character shown today considering there was weather coming in at some stage. Can't blame the bowlers as they can't bat but Hussey was out to a piss poor shot whatever the circumstances and North was always going to be out how he was.