• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Group A Discussion

Dissector

When Voges got out, Australia needed 62 runs in -1 overs to qualify, but clearly with that never-say-die Aussie spirit nothing is impossible.:dry:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I don't suppose there's any chance that the ICC, if they persist in abolishing the Champions Trophy, will at least take the lesson that all you need for a great ODI tournament is to have as many matches between closely matched teams as possible, with as many meaningful matches as possible and adopt it for a World Cup? Not just a load of mismatches to determine an expected set of qualifiers followed by Q/F,S/F etc.
No.

The World Cup is for everyone.

16 teams in 4 groups of 4. Top 2 in eacb group go to the Super 8s, which then follows the same format as the Champions Trophy. Easy peasy.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
You said the super 8's were rubbish last week...
The 2007 version of the Super 8s was ****.

I'd prefer quarter finals but realistically that's not going to happen, we need a million and one games to flog to broadcasters so making the last 8 onwards be the same format as the Champions Trophy is the only acceptable compromise. Anything is just too lomg and lacks intensity for me.

Spark

Global Moderator
We had quarter finals WC...?

Though it had the problem that the group stages took forever and a day, and then the exciting bit of the tournament was really over before it began.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
We had quarter finals WC...?

Though it had the problem that the group stages took forever and a day, and then the exciting bit of the tournament was really over before it began.
I want a 16 team World Cup, with 4 groups of 4. Quarter finals after that would never happen.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I want a 16 team World Cup, with 4 groups of 4.
Yep, me too. It'd then go into two groups of 4 after that - but each team would only have to play two games after that because they could just take the points forward from the first set of matches. You'd then have semis and a final.

8 teams would play 3 matches
4 teams would play 5 matches
2 teams would play 6 matches
2 teams would play 7 matches

35 games. Over relatively quickly. Each game means something. Minnows get a chance but are gone early.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Or failing that, just have the winner of each initial group go to the semis. That'd really make the group matches mean something.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yep, me too. It'd then go into two groups of 4 after that - but each team would only have to play two games after that because they could just take the points forward from the first set of matches. You'd then have semis and a final.

8 teams would play 3 matches
4 teams would play 5 matches
2 teams would play 6 matches
2 teams would play 7 matches

35 games. Over relatively quickly. Each game means something. Minnows get a chance but are gone early.
Nah, no carrying points forward. I'd have group 1 be A1, B2, C1 and D2, everyone plays everyone else.

Therefore the teams that make the last 8 play 6 games, which is more than enough, and the group stages are short enough where all the games matter.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Nah, no carrying points forward. I'd have group 1 be A1, B2, C1 and D2, everyone plays everyone else.

Therefore the teams that make the last 8 play 6 games, which is more than enough, and the group stages are short enough where all the games matter.
It'd mean you'd play a team in the Super 8 that you already played in the initial group stages though, and I reckon it'd make the initial stage feel a bit like a waste of time if you were only just trying to make the top two.

If you don't want to carry points forward then I reckon you just scrap the Super 8. Don't have quarters either. Winner of each initial group of 4 straight to the semis.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It'd mean you'd play a team in the Super 8 that you already played in the initial group stages though, and I reckon it'd make the initial stage feel a bit like a waste of time if you were only just trying to make the top two.

If you don't want to carry points forward then I reckon you just scrap the Super 8. Don't have quarters either. Winner of each initial group of 4 straight to the semis.
Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't mean that at all. Two groups of four with a team from each initial group in either group means no repeated fixtures until the semis.

Highly possible I am missing something though given its 6.27

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't mean that at all. Two groups of four with a team from each initial group in either group means no repeated fixtures until the semis.

Highly possible I am missing something though given its 6.27
Nah it was me that was missing something. Misinterpreted what the letters and numbers meant in Furball's example. Ignore me. :p

I like his system actually tbh.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Anyone advocating 10 or 12 team pishy wee World Cups should have watched the football and the reception the Tahiti players got. Why would you deny guys from Afghanistan, Scotland or Canada that sort of once in a lifetime moment?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's the whole "we want high quality cricket" argument, which is frankly bollocks. Yes, I'd love to see the top teams and top players go at it in classic matches but when does that ever happen? All 3 of Australia's final wins were one-sided (which is a testament to how good Australia were, but still), and in this tournament the semi finals have been non-events.

And wanting the best possible quality cricket isn't acceptable if the compromise is that we deny emerging nations their shot on the big stage IMO.

uvelocity

The minnows playing is great, it's just the bull**** unnecessary one game per day ICC crap that wrecks the world cup