• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Match - India v New Zealand (15th March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moss

Well we did win the toss.
Yeah, the toss looked extremely crucial in hindsight. No doubt BMac would have lost that one! (and imagine the furore about the pitch, home advantage, etc if NZ had batted second and folded.)

Terrific win and happy about the 3 spinners strategy coming off, though it seems like the top order was found wanting for judgement.

Stefan9

Great win for the Black Caps. Dreadful pitch prepared for the world 20/20, this is not what we watch 20/20 cricket for.

Tec15

Great win for the Black Caps. Dreadful pitch prepared for the world 20/20, this is not what we watch 20/20 cricket for.
India just going back to the tricks they tried in the Test Series in South Africa. Good to see it blow up in their face this time.

Zinzan

I mean, turning a chump like Sodhi into an unplayable demi-god. Ban cricket in nagpur I say.
Harsh on Ish, has looked the goods in all of his recent opportunities even if today was near perfect Sodhi bowling conditions.

Smudge

Must be a few sore chins from posters in this thread judging by all the knee-jerking going on around page 4 (40 ppp setting).

Last edited:

thundaboult

Both Boult and Southee not playing.

Liking KW's captaincy already, he isn't picking on reputation.
That was a hell of decision and tbh I loved every bit of it! Finally some selection sense. Although I did doubt Mclenaghan's exclusion but thank god I got proved wrong on that one!

Moss

That was a hell of decision and tbh I loved every bit of it! Finally some selection sense. Although I did doubt Mclenaghan's exclusion but thank god I got proved wrong on that one!
No doubt it was based entirely on the pitch, but I hope he 's flexible enough to return to Boult or whoever for the remaining games. Will be surprised if the conditions demand three spinners right through.

AndyZaltzHair

No doubt it was based entirely on the pitch, but I hope he 's flexible enough to return to Boult or whoever for the remaining games. Will be surprised if the conditions demand three spinners right through.
NZ's next game is in Dharamsala and the pitch is a bit slow but nowhere near will produce any turn like today. It's a near perfect batting pitch. But the big question is who would you drop? All of the spinners performed so well. The pitch played its part but they bowled on good lengths.

social

Just watched the highlights and lol @ Team India (or whatever other stupid name the marketing guys have given them these days)

Doctoring a pitch seems like a great idea until you lose the toss :laugh:

BeeGee

Question needs to be asked. Should nz have had to qualify alongside Scotland? Answer seems obvious tbh

:ph34r:
Agree with this. This is more of NZ playing poorly than the pitch
NZ are shitting the bed colossally here. And with this terrible team selection too. If they're going to be this awful, they should lay down and die and die against Bangladesh as well. At least help a more deserving team into the semi-finals.
New Zealand aren't getting any where near a semi final now. Near impossible. Pretty sure Bangladesh would be favourites v NZ as well actually.
Love your work, lads.

Moss

NZ's next game is in Dharamsala and the pitch is a bit slow but nowhere near will produce any turn like today. It's a near perfect batting pitch. But the big question is who would you drop? All of the spinners performed so well. The pitch played its part but they bowled on good lengths.
It's a really tough call, but I would have McCleneghan back if he's fit because he's a pretty versatile T20 bowler and has the IPL experience too. Santner has the allround game and has hardly put a foot wrong in LO cricket so he'll stay. My guess is Sodhi and McCullum will be rotated, but would be harsh on either of them after doing their jobs spectacularly today. Selection headaches for sure.

Moss

Slamming NZ's performance based on their batting on a very difficult pitch is a bit harsh.
The comments while NZ were batting were over the top for sure, but I think it's safe to say NZ didn't apply themselves as well as they could have. Equally India were probably guilty of not wising up to the conditions and the opposition when they batted.

Yeah, difficult pitch but made to look a bit more so by the respective batting lineups? I'll be happy if we get a few more square turners in the tournament, makes for a nice change and will be interesting to see if sides make the effort to adapt accordingly. I mean, how often do you get to see NZ playing three spinners and make it work..

Last edited: