• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Match - India v New Zealand (15th March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Someone to compare the teams by IPL contract value
And next time New Zealand lose we'll compare the teams by Georgie Pie Super Smash value.

Local players in being more valuable than overseas players of equal ability due to the rules shocker.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
And next time New Zealand lose we'll compare the teams by Georgie Pie Super Smash value.

Local players in being more valuable than overseas players of equal ability due to the rules shocker.
Haha.

Kiwaahs have been caught up on the IPL for so many years. The amount of wahhs that were made when one of Rossco and Jesse Ryder weren't being picked by Royal Challengers back in 08/09 was ridiculous.

Bahnz

Makes sense that NZ won then tbh
I do think it was a wonderful tribute to the departing McCullum for India to produce a pitch which - though intended to favour the hosts - only ended up handing a massive advantage to the team that won the toss. They've earned the right with this one. Big time.

Athlai

Not Terrible

Georgie Pie Super Smash player contracts aren't public knowledge except for the imports right? And I suspect most imports for GPSS are on a higher contract than the locals.

Black_Warrior

That's why you need to wait until the other team bats before making these sorts of calls.
To be honest, that's more true for test cricket, not so much for T20 in general. Today was obviously a different scenario.

India just going back to the tricks they tried in the Test Series in South Africa. Good to see it blow up in their face this time.
Actually it could have blown up in their face during the SA tests too if the South African batsmen knew how to bat.

India should have had to qualify against Scotland. Taste it Jono.
In fact, New Zealand should be relegated even more now because they have shown the propensity to jeopardise the tournament for the rest of us :ph34r:

Slamming NZ's performance based on their batting on a very difficult pitch is a bit harsh.
Well the first few dismissals from New Zealand were just shoddy batting. No two ways about it. Guptill got a wrong decision but it was still a bad shot after you've just smashed Ashwin for a six. Same with Munro. They seemed to be in a hurry rather than playing a few deliveries to understand and respect the conditions.

Wouldn't be surprised if thats our only win here. This is a pretty strong group.
Dude you do realize that if the other pitches behave like this, you have at least 2 other guaranteed victories and then you have a tight game against Bangladesh.

Makes sense that NZ won then tbh
Come on Zorax. Where's the impassioned defense of the horrible, unplayable, pathetic Nagpur pitch? :p

SteveNZ

I'm sure this has been said but as Nelson Muntz would say, HA!

Why don't India back their skills on decent pitches? It's actually an accusation that could be levelled at us in the Test arena, also.

indiaholic

What are decent pitches? The ones in Australia where we did pretty well? I like this tbh. Enjoy seeing games with a lot of wickets way more than too many runs.

Black_Warrior

I think it's a bit unfair if people just blame the home team for the pitch as if pitch preparation is an exact science and India just sat their planning everything the pitch ended up doing. They wanted to prepare a turning pitch, which is not necessarily a bad thing. What was missing though was a certain degree of 'respect' for the conditions and opposition..something Kohli and Dhoni had mentioned after the Pakistan game in the Asia Cup. I get the feeling that India looked at the playing XI and just made the mistake of taking the NZ bowling attack lightly. Santner is not really rated, not even by our esteemed CW members here, Sodhi doesn't play regularly, and I don't think many outside of PEWS and I who watched PSL are aware of what a good T20 bowler Elliot is.

I dont't see India making these same mistakes again.

ohnoitsyou

I think it's a bit unfair if people just blame the home team for the pitch as if pitch preparation is an exact science and India just sat their planning everything the pitch ended up doing. They wanted to prepare a turning pitch, which is not necessarily a bad thing. What was missing though was a certain degree of 'respect' for the conditions and opposition..something Kohli and Dhoni had mentioned after the Pakistan game in the Asia Cup. I get the feeling that India looked at the playing XI and just made the mistake of taking the NZ bowling attack lightly. Santner is not really rated, not even by our esteemed CW members here, Sodhi doesn't play regularly, and I don't think many outside of PEWS and I who watched PSL are aware of what a good T20 bowler Elliot is.

I dont't see India making these same mistakes again.
I think you need to spend more time in the NZ threads.

Black_Warrior

Well I did say 'esteemed CW members' :ph34r:

just kidding. You're right I haven't seen the conversations in the NZ threads but outside of it, haven't seen much rating for Santner. Zorax and Howe_Zat are the two most esteemed members on CW and they don't rate him at all :huh:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Well I did say 'esteemed CW members' :ph34r:

just kidding. You're right I haven't seen the conversations in the NZ threads but outside of it, haven't seen much rating for Santner. Zorax and Howe_Zat are the two most esteemed members on CW and they don't rate him at all :huh:
Howe I get, but Zorax?

Esteemed isn't the word we use. More.... Enthusiastic.

zorax

likes this
Also I do rate Santa. Think he's a better bowler than batsman. Pretty sure I've said this in the NZ domestix thread.

And yea people need to stop waahing about pitches. I've said enough about that. It's the usual suspects complaining and you learn to disregard certain people's opinions on certain topics after a while.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Don't think anyone is seriously criticising this pitch. NZ scored 126 and par was probably 130-140. If any of our top three would have stuck around you'd probably be fair to bet on us getting 160.

Smudge

Also I do rate Santa. Think he's a better bowler than batsman. Pretty sure I've said this in the NZ domestix thread.

And yea people need to stop waahing about pitches. I've said enough about that. It's the usual suspects complaining and you learn to disregard certain people's opinions on certain topics after a while.
Much like we disregard a "like" from you as actually meaning anything about the quality of our posts.

:ph34r:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
For people pulling up posts after the first half: no one in his right mind could think NZ would win after their batting had finished except the NZ players themselves (and credit to them). New Zealand didn't exactly bat well. India were far worse with their batting and New Zealand bowled well. I thought how the spinners mixed the slower and faster deliveries was excellent.