• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Baggy Green ball tampering: Bancroft, Smith and the Aussie "Leadership Group"

Borges

There's something terribly wrong if at the end of all this, all that we have learnt is 'let us pin it all on this one guy; get rid of him somehow and all would be well'.

Gnske

it saddens me to see smith and bancroft the way they are but i still think the bans are fair - but by the same token i’m all for welcoming them back in to the fold when their bans are over
Where the **** have you been you dirty dog?

vandem

Listening to the interview now on NZ radio. Is a farce from CA media. Do they not understand that the public CARES ABOUT THIS ??? Warner is asked is a clear question about whether others apart from Bancroft, Smith and he were involved, he repeats a statement about how sorry he is (and so is NOT answering the question in any way), the journo tries to get him to clarify, then the CA media person interrupts with "one question please ...".

If you are not going to allow journos to ask questions, then why bother with the charade that this is a Q&A session. Why not just have a press statement? Why not leave Warner alone to be with his family + supporters + employment lawyers?

(for context, I am a Kiwi, but work in an organisation with some Aussie cricket supporters, and has been water-cooler discussion this week)

Last edited:

MagicPoopShovel

Well in terms of the PR competition, Warner just lost again.

It's interesting that he kept talking about the "3rd day in Capetown"... "my part"..which is understandable..I guess he is trying to say this was a one time thing and I only played a part..but, to me, it began to sound an awful lot like there were other incidents the more he kept repeating that line..Wonder if the wider investigation is unearthing other instances and he's singing like a canary behind the scenes to CA..

And while I want to give him the benefit of the doubt..him pausing to hold back tears after each question didn't seem genuine and felt like it was put on. But I am not in his shoes so who knows.

MagicPoopShovel

I guess the big take away is that he said he thinks he might not get to play for Aus again.. I've always thought he will retire ...but maybe that's a few months down the line once he decides what he will do.

Last edited:

Second Spitter

I believe Warner showed genuine repentance. The fact the Aussie journo's were thirsty for blood shows they are worse human beings than he is. Also, the ridiculous radio station question to Smith in his moment of pain supports this.

mr_mister

Well in terms of the PR competition, Warner just lost again.

It's interesting that he kept talking about the "3rd day in Capetown"... "my part"..which is understandable..I guess he is trying to say this was a one time thing and I only played a part..but, to me, it began to sound an awful lot like there were other incidents the more he kept repeating that line..Wonder if the wider investigation is unearthing other instances and he's singing like a canary behind the scenes to CA..

And while I want to give him the benefit of the doubt..him pausing to hold back tears after each question didn't seem genuine and felt like it was put on. But I am not in his shoes so who knows.
I wouldn't read that much into it, I think Warner just didnt have much to say. He kept talking in circles and it felt like he was trying to copy Smith's speech

vandem

Or ...

... I don't believe Warner showed genuine repentance. The fact the Aussie journo's were thirsty for more details shows they care more about cricket followers then he does. Also, the ridiculous CA refusal to allow journos to have a question answered in his moment of "honesty" supports this.

MagicPoopShovel

He has clarified why he did not answer via twitter

@davidwarner31
1/3 I know there are unanswered questions and lots of them. I completely understand. In time i will do my best to answer them all. But there is a formal CA process to follow.

2/3 I am taking advice to make sure I properly comply with that process and answer all questions in the proper place and at the proper time.

3/3 I should have mentioned that in my press conference I’m sorry for not making it clearer. With so much at stake for my family and cricket I have to follow this process properly. I think that’s fair.

R!TTER

guess he was put on the spot and isn't the fastest thinker
Not many are tbh. You go the Warner way, the Kohli way (your words not mine!) or the DJT (fake news, you're wrong!) way.

IMO he did the best he could, in the time he had & under the constraints he was under.

vandem

guess he was put on the spot and isn't the fastest thinker
Um, I think the combined efforts of CA and a PR firm could have imagined some of the questions that were going to be asked, and they had a couple of days to prepare.

Why not use a "no comment" or "no comment, for legal process reasons" in the interview if you couldn't answer truthfully, rather than ignore half the questions? Does he think the Aussie public won't noticed he is continuing to avoid taking responsibility for his actions?