• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India-Pakistan air conflict

ankitj

There is such a thing called 'credible threat' in international diplomacy. Pakistan had it, China had it. India didn't. Which is why India could never "diplomatically isolate" Pakistan after repeated attacks. India has now made a credible threat for international community to sit up and take notice. Whether 300 terrorists were killed or a crow is besides the point.

Sure enough US, UK and France have moved UN to declare Masud Azhar an international terrorist. It didn't happen in 12 days after Pulwama but it did after the air conflict. And China is going to feel more pressure than before to fall in line.

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/pre...-security-council-to-ban-masood-azhar-2000415

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't know whether that's the justification the Indian government is using or will cite - I suspect they will instead point to an imminent threat. But if ^^^ is what they use then that is manifestly illegal in international law.

You can't just bomb other countries to make a point.

ankitj

I don't know whether that's the justification the Indian government is using or will cite - I suspect they will instead point to an imminent threat. But if ^^^ is what they use then that is manifestly illegal in international law.

That's not the justification from Indian govt. You may refer to the official statement. That's the (side) effect however. India could never diplomatically isolate Pakistan over the years. It was not for lack eloquent orators. It was because India did not keep international community on the edge. It's great India had the reputation of being a nicely behaved country; that's something to feel good about. But India has been subject to a proxy war over many decades. Something was going to give.

ankitj

In fact Pakistan entered Indian territory for a stated objective of making a point. That's what their official statement says. Unlike India that maintains that its targets were specifically terror camps.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
For situations like this, literally no one gives a **** about international law these days. If they ever did.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5

You can if you're strong enough

Burgey

That may be so, but it's a bit of a risk to take when the country you choose to bomb has nuclear weapons.

harsh.ag

That may be so, but it's a bit of a risk to take when the country you choose to bomb has nuclear weapons.
Yeah, agreed, Pakistan's military should really think twice before training and sending suicide bombers into India.

OverratedSanity

In fact Pakistan entered Indian territory for a stated objective of making a point. That's what their official statement says. Unlike India that maintains that its targets were specifically terror camps.
I'm surprised this hasn't been pointed out by more people.

Spark

Global Moderator
I'm surprised this hasn't been pointed out by more people.
I mean this is why I asked whether any of this is legal under long established laws of just war. It's all well and good saying "well we just bombed an empty field" but if you keep dropping bombs, eventually you will hit something people actually care about. Then it'll be on.

trundler

Seems to have cooled a bit. Anyone know what's happening on the Sialkot border?

Heard the Indian Navy was advancing towards Karachi and Pasni.

Daemon

It's being spun as a 'gesture of peace fright' by a not insignificant bunch of idiots. They're boasting about how Pakistan dare not hold onto him for fear of retaliation. I mean of course there will be an element of fear but that's because it's intelligent to fear a ****ing war no matter which side you're on. Also best to shut the **** up until they return the poor man instead of thumping your chest.

smalishah84

The Tiger King
It's being spun as a 'gesture of peace fright' by a not insignificant bunch of idiots. They're boasting about how Pakistan dare not hold onto him for fear of retaliation. I mean of course there will be an element of fear but that's because it's intelligent to fear a ****ing war no matter which side you're on. Also best to shut the **** up until they return the poor man instead of thumping your chest.
haha, it would be fun to watch Arnab Goswami show on this :p