• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

32nd Match - England v Australia

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

stephen

I might add that England just lost the No. 1 ranking.
The term adding insult to injury springs to mind.

We could see the signs of the wheels falling off for England in the lead up to the tournament and in the early games. Halles being banned and Roy being injured have certainly not helped the cause.

Jezroy

England gloriously not peaking at the right time.
Just listening to the TMS podcast, and it's like they're still surprisingly clinging onto "The way we play has worked for the last four years SO THERE".

I don't think they watched The All Blacks playing at World Cups from 1991-2007. You sometimes have to play differently at World Cups to win them.

Burgey

The term adding insult to injury springs to mind.

We could see the signs of the wheels falling off for England in the lead up to the tournament and in the early games. Halles being banned and Roy being injured have certainly not helped the cause.
yeah, but I mean imagine Roy and Hales facing up to the ball hooping around early doors like it did yesterday. They'd have been in worse shape, if that's possible.

TheJediBrah

Interesting to see Aus adopt the plan we were suggesting on here a few days ago, namely opening with 'Dorf and saving Cummins for first change. While this doesn't definitively prove it's the best option it definitely went pretty well.

Also I know Aus have been winning but they've still got some sub-optimal tactics IMO. Smith is being wasted, he needs to come in as soon as possible. Obviously when the openers are regularly putting in 100+ he's not going to be coming in early, but he needs to be at 3 in those scenarios. Tbh if the openers are putting on 100+ then Khawaja is a waste. He's just going in at 3 and delaying the far superior Smith from batting more time.

the big bambino

Called it

Also dorf opening as well. Called for separating Cumstarc a while back

Boy i' m good
CW needs to do a lap carrying this bloke on our shoulders.

Why couldn't all that is happening to England happen to Australia. For once.
It did. In 1983. Be satisfied.

What England would've given for James Anderson in the attack yesterday.
Oooh that sent a cold shiver.

Interesting to see Aus adopt the plan we were suggesting on here a few days ago, namely opening with 'Dorf and saving Cummins for first change. While this doesn't definitively prove it's the best option it definitely went pretty well.

Also I know Aus have been winning but they've still got some sub-optimal tactics IMO. Smith is being wasted, he needs to come in as soon as possible. Obviously when the openers are regularly putting in 100+ he's not going to be coming in early, but he needs to be at 3 in those scenarios. Tbh if the openers are putting on 100+ then Khawaja is a waste. He's just going in at 3 and delaying the far superior Smith from batting more time.
Yep CW had a win here with Dorff. I agree with Smith in at 3, at least in the situation you mentioned. If someone is going to be a floater then you probably get more from Marsh than Usman. I'm still not sold on the bowling though I like the selection of Lyon at last. Given that Stonis' batting is failing to impress I'd consider replacing him with NCN. That might suit our batting style where we accumulate rather than thrash big scores. Then apply as much bowling pressure as possible to contain the opposition. Plus you might get some useful runs from Starc, Cummins or NCN if needed.

straw man

What England would've given for James Anderson in the attack yesterday.
Yup it was a test match day 1 wicket with swing and seam, and England's new ball bowlers did what a bad test attack does on a bad day, which is bowl too short. Especially Archer. They were unlucky not to get one wicket, but a good test attack could've picked up 3 or even 4 in the first 15 overs imo.

TheJediBrah

Given that Stonis' batting is failing to impress I'd consider replacing him with NCN. That might suit our batting style where we accumulate rather than thrash big scores. Then apply as much bowling pressure as possible to contain the opposition. Plus you might get some useful runs from Starc, Cummins or NCN if needed.
I really like that, I wish they would do it. Stoinis has been useless. Carey can do a job at 6 and NCN's batting has looked better than Stoinis' anyway. It would be huge to have 50 overs of front-line bowling available and on current form you don't lose anything with the bat.

TheJediBrah

The game today reminded me of the 1st day of every Ashes series from the 1990s where we usually came in with high expectations and proceeded to misfield, drop easy chances and bowl the wrong lengths. How has this happened with what has been the best fielding side over the past several years? I am still a little shocked at the manner in which we have capitulated over the past 2 games and it is clear to me that we haven't invested enough in players with temperament. My hope is that for the remainder of the games in this tourney we go with someone like Tom Curran in place of Ali or Wood.
Karma IMO. England have been ruthlessly pragmatic with their team development and selection at the expense of heart and nurturing local talent. A team half full of blokes born overseas doesn't deserve to win the world cup.

Ok not entirely srs I'm exaggerating but the last minute selection of Archer encapsulates the attitude perfectly. Pretty poor to shoehorn in an overseas talent the day he becomes eligible, ahead of a locally grown player that has been committed to the cause for their whole career.

smalishah84

The Tiger King
Karma IMO. England have been ruthlessly pragmatic with their team development and selection at the expense of heart and nurturing local talent. A team half full of blokes born overseas doesn't deserve to win the world cup.

Ok not entirely srs I'm exaggerating but the last minute selection of Archer encapsulates the attitude perfectly. Pretty poor to shoehorn in an overseas talent the day he becomes eligible, ahead of a locally grown player that has been committed to the cause for their whole career.
The overseas talent is hardly the chink in the armor though.

Red Hill

The artist formerly known as Monk
The 3rd seamer issue being solved puts this Australian side on another level. Stoinis needs a kick up the arse.
Might as well drop Stoinis for NCN. Better bowler by a margin and almost just as likely to give us something with the bat.

Red Hill

The artist formerly known as Monk
This Australian side is only going to get better as well.

Langer and Ponting will move Smith to #3, I think Marsh more than likely comes in. He's starting to hit form and he isn't facing enough balls at his current position given how he can work the field.

Carey is so underrated, he's averaging around 35 @ 90 in ODI's now, he's been seeing them like watermelons most of the tournament.

Australia would do best to interchange him at #5 or #6 with Maxwell depending on the state of the game.

He should 100% bat above Stoinis. He's a good looking leftie as well, square shots remind me of Hussey.
Finch
Warner
Smith
SMarsh
Maxwell
Carey
Coulter Nile
Cummins
Starc
Berendorf
Lyon/Zampa