• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best XI of the first round, with a twist

Burgey

Name your best XI of the first round of matches, but with one team contributing two players, and every other team one each.

harsh.ag

Roy
Rohit
Williamson
Shakib
van der Dussen
Pooran
Carey +
Starc
Nabi
Amir
Malinga

The automatic picks of Nabi, Amir, vdD, Malinga, Pooran, Shakib, and Williamson meant that it was Roy vs Rohit vs Warner, and Starc vs Bumrah. Picking Starc (partly because of his batting) meant that Warner had to be left out (because there is no way Buttler deserves to be in the side over Carey).

Amirfan

1) Imam ul Haq
2) Rohit Sharma
3) Shakib
4) Kane Williamson
5) Angelo Mathews
6) Ben Stokes
7) Carlos Braithwaite
8) Mohammad Nabi
9) Mohammad Amir
10)M Starc
11)Tahir

vcs

Rohit Sharma
David Warner
Shakib Al Hasan
Kane Williamson
Ben Stokes
Nicolas Pooran
Alex Carey (wk)
Mohammad Nabi
Mohammad Amir
Lasith Malinga
Imran Tahir

Burgey

Surprised to see AmirFan picking two players from a certain side which didn’t make the finals.

Howe_zat

'Player Fan' is always a user name that makes you wince doesn't it?

Dhoni fan, shiv fan, root fan, sehwag fan, etc. All illustrious contributors.

morgieb

Sharma
Roy
Williamson
Shakib
Mathews
Pooran
Carey
Nabi
Starc
Amir
Tahir

Probably one too many spinners, but meh.

Tom Flint

Roy
Rohit
Williamson
Shakib
van der Dussen
Pooran
Carey +
Starc
Nabi
Amir
Malinga

The automatic picks of Nabi, Amir, vdD, Malinga, Pooran, Shakib, and Williamson meant that it was Roy vs Rohit vs Warner, and Starc vs Bumrah. Picking Starc (partly because of his batting) meant that Warner had to be left out (because there is no way Buttler deserves to be in the side over Carey).
Why is vdd an automatic pick?

Howe_zat

Not very different from the standard XI, you just have to find room for Nabi and Malinga among the bowlers.

Finch *
Sharma
Williamson
Shakib
Pooran
Stokes
Carey+
Nabi
Amir
Malinga
Tahir

Could feasibly swap Williamson and Stokes for Root and Neesham.

Finch over Warner because he was better in the first half of the tournament, for my quid scored his runs against the better sides, and because the side needs a captain.

In this and the other thread, there aren't really enough people considering the captain. Like picking a side with no keeper.

Last edited:

Burgey

Good point. Also often the case with usernames encompassing player monikers in general, though there are those like Flem who aren’t terrible.

Howe_zat

Good point. Also often the case with usernames encompassing player monikers in general, though there are those like Flem who aren’t terrible.
The only way to do it effectively is to go like HeathDavisSpeed and assume the persona of the player in question.

Or be Mitch McClenaghan, and and actually be the player in question.

Amirfan

Different things make different people wince. Personally, people with thousands and thousands of posts on online forums with a chip on their shoulder usually make me wince.

Bijed

Surprised to see AmirFan picking two players from a certain side which didn’t make the finals.
Meh, Imam's an unlikely pick but Amir fully deserves to be in a combined first round XI

Can do without passive-agressive sarcasm/baiting tbh. I know when a new poster arrives here and gets out of the blocks in a argumentative way (and FWIW I disagree with the tone and content of several of Amirfan's posts) we like to give it back to them and wind them up, but that's pretty **** imo. Loads of good posters here get riled up on certain topics/in specific circumstances and sometimes we choose to fan the flames there too, which is rubbish too, but at least we generally end up shaking hands and making up. With new posters we often just end up chasing them away before we really get to see what they could bring to the forum in a different context/situation. I do, though, appreciate that there have a fair number of new joiners over the years who have come with the pretty much the sole intention of trolling and stirring things up, which we can certainly do without too.

Don't get me wrong, I still love this forum and you get some seriously great stuff on here, but I feel that especially recently genuine nastiness and insults are becoming, by no means the norm, but far more prevalent and that's **** too. When this forum is good, it's bloody amazing and we shouldn't be bringing things down with this crap - it stinks up the forum atmosphere for everyone and chases away good posters. I've got a few friends and colleagues who I want to point towards this forum, and I really think they'd be good contributors here but I haven't done so because I can't shake the feeling that they might say something 'wrong' early on and just cop flak on here. Never thought I'd feel like that when I first signed up here (nearly 4 years ago, woah that's gone fast), but I do.

Sorry Burgey, it's not really fair for me to attach all this to your post as it's nowhere near the worst example of the behaviour I'm getting on my soapbox to preach about, but I've been feeling increasingly this way in general for a fair few months now and I guess it's the straw the broke the camel's back.

Anyway, that's it, rant over. Sorry :)