• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Test, Edgbaston, Birmingham

wpdavid

Wasn't that long ago that he scored back to back hundreds. Leach and Archer will come in.
One day cricket though. He's been crap in tests for a while now. May as well bring in his opening partner from the ODI side and expect him to perform in tests too.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I can't think of anything else like it off the top of my head. Steve Waugh 97 doesn't work imo because Aus had a 80 odd lead going into their second innings
I know the question was pair of tons, but Allan Border's 98* and 100* in the West Indies was big. The match was just a draw though, I can't think of any performance as good as this one from Smith.

ajdude

that endless shot of smith waiting for ian ward to finish reeling off his achievements in this match was comedy gold

NotMcKenzie

Thoughts:

- Roy's dismissal seemed to me the result of trying to be a bit too clever (not sure that's the right word) by half. He seemed to be going along fine before, so question is whether he can discipline himself enough to stay in for a long period. If the form of Warner and Bancroft continues, England getting an opening partnership going—given that Burns went well in the 1st innings—may make a difference in the other tests as it will also ease pressure on the lower order and tire our bowlers. Bairstow may do better under such circumstances.

- Is Denly worth persisting with?

- I presume Anderson will not play the next match, not wanting to risk further injury. If Archer plays, I suspect we'll find him more difficult to handle, particularly on the slope at Lord's

hazsa19

One day cricket though. He's been crap in tests for a while now. May as well bring in his opening partner from the ODI side and expect him to perform in tests too.
Nothing else to judge him on. It's not as if Foakes has been tearing it up in the CC.

vcs

Well done Australia, absolutely dominated the last 2.5 days. Blew them away in the end really.

England keep dropping home Tests and always seem to have the makings of a very good side, but they've got some big flaws at the moment. Just can't seem to put it together.

wpdavid

Nothing else to judge him on. It's not as if Foakes has been tearing it up in the CC.
I think his performances in tests are evidence aplenty, but there you go. Foakes would probably make more runs than Bairstow, but as I said previously I'd bring in Sam Curran and hand the gloves to Buttler.

quincywagstaff

Just seemed like England didn't have the confidence to believe they could bat out a day so they took Warne's advice and showed 'intent' and the rest can be seen for itself.

And just noticed that Cummins now has the exact same Test bowling average as Glenn McGrath.

Pup Clarke

Bairstow is the jammiest cricketer ever. Never gets dropped, but then England do tend to give players an inordinate amount of leeway.

Burner

Just scoring one of the centuries Smith scored this match would have been an ATG effort. Scoring 2 in the same match in the positions they were in, is something else.

Malcolm

I can't think of anything else like it off the top of my head. Steve Waugh 97 doesn't work imo because Aus had a 80 odd lead going into their second innings
Ponting's twin centuries in his 100th match was a wonderful knock. He scored a run-a-ball 140 odd in the fourth innings and Australia chased 300(?) in 2 sessions.

quincywagstaff

Bairstow is the jammiest cricketer ever. Never gets dropped, but then England do tend to give players an inordinate amount of leeway.

Has to be one of the most overrated Test cricketers going around. Averages in mid-30s and considering his batting technique that's as probably as good as it gets.