• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Test, Edgbaston, Birmingham

Lillian Thomson

Most England batsman have poor technique if the ball is doing anything. A lot of the top international players don’t play much First Class Cricket to hone their skills. I’m a big fan of Buttler, but talented as he might be it’s tough to bat at Number 5 in a Test Match given his previous schedule this summer.

Woodster

Most England batsman have poor technique if the ball is doing anything. A lot of the top international players don’t play much First Class Cricket to hone their skills. I’m a big fan of Buttler, but talented as he might be it’s tough to bat at Number 5 in a Test Match given his previous schedule this summer.
In all fairness, most international batsmen have a pretty average technique when the ball’s doing anything. There’s probably a handful of batsmen around the world capable of neutralising a quality bowling attack.

trundler

Cummins's ability to get something out of dead, unresponsive an almost Dubai like wicket deserves all the praise in the world.

Bunsen Burner

Openers to stop, Ali to be replaced by Leach, and maybe Denley to be replaced by Vince. Bairstow and Butler stop in at the moment , partly because it would look like panic stations to change more. Aussie bowling looks very strong ( Starc definitely returns ) ,and with Englands poor record at Lords , Aussies go 2-0 up.

flibbertyjibber

Well played Australia. One of the most comprehensive trouncing you will ever see given their position halfway through day 1.

As for England, Archer for Anderson and Leach for Moeen and we go again.

Adders

I'm normally very much a glass half full type of guy and never give up on a series before it's properly over.

But we're ****ed here.......the Aussies are taking the Ashes home.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm normally very much a glass half full type of guy and never give up on a series before it's properly over.

But we're ****ed here.......the Aussies are taking the Ashes home.
I will have to create a new category but you are receiving ten Nixons for this post, for posting too far out of character. Pull yourself together.

Burgey

You mean the WC?

Burgey

Yep. I’m not saying it from the “they’re all tired” excuse. He just doesn’t play any first class cricket.
It's a conundrum. He looked like didn't know what approach to take today. Not that he was out of form, just the he genuinely looked frozen. He's the VC isn't he?

Re the second test, do they play Archer or do they bring in Curran? Don't think it's that easy a decision tbh. I hope Archer plays in a way, it'll be interesting to see how he copes with it.

I don't think Roy is a test opener's arsehole, but I think you have to persist. I realise Denly hasn't got any decent numbers, but tbh I thought he looked better yesterday than anyone else (rubbish sample size I know) and I'd keep him.

I'd punt Bairstow and Ali

Roy
Burns
Denly
Root
Buttler
Stokes
Foakes
Woakes
Leach
Archer/ Curran
Broad

is probably the line up I'd run with.

Be interesting if they dish up green tops. They may well roll Australia cheap on them, but they just got dicked fro 80 by Ireland on one two weeks ago

Lillian Thomson

Lords has a new groundsman after 49 years and he produced a terrible pitch for the World Cup Final and even worse for the Ireland Test. He got away with the World Cup Final because it was so dramatic.

Test_Fan_Only

Playing ODIs and playing Test cricket need a completely different approach to batting and Roy, Bairstow and perhaps others are struggling because they play like one day players.

If Roy is going to stay in the side then he should be dropped down the order, opening gives him no chance.