• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4th Test at Old Trafford, Manchester

Spark

Global Moderator
You think Warner's punishment was unjust? As in unduly long? I can't follow the logic. I'm all for the booing of him, he brought the game into massive disrepute and on top of that, was so spineless he got others to do it for him. I hated the personal rubbish on him in SA but he can cop all this latest stuff.
I think the logic is that it was far out of proportion compared to other ball tampering related punishments in the past, sometimes the quite recent past.

TheJediBrah

You think Warner's punishment was unjust? As in unduly long? I can't follow the logic
lol wut

How many ball tamperers have been banned for a year before or since?

Would you not find any issue with putting someone behind bars for 20 years for jaywalking?

SteveNZ

I think the logic is that it was far out of proportion compared to other ball tampering related punishments in the past, sometimes the quite recent past.
Then perhaps the others are unjustifiably weak in punishment and they finally found a near just outcome with lil Davey.

Anyway, on with the game. Jason Roy hits a boundary and no doubt is currently picturing himself winning the Ashes.

SteveNZ

lol wut

How many ball tamperers have been banned for a year before or since?

Would you not find any issue with putting someone behind bars for 20 years for jaywalking?
Unsure, don't care. I'd prefer to judge Davey in isolation.

And I've come to like your posting stylings but that analogy is Moeen Ali Ashes-level bad.

Spark

Global Moderator
Then perhaps the others are unjustifiably weak in punishment and they finally found a near just outcome with lil Davey.

Anyway, on with the game. Jason Roy hits a boundary and no doubt is currently picturing himself winning the Ashes.
Sure but no one has made this argument seriously, like, ever. Maybe because it's an argument which falls apart after two seconds' thought. Oh no, you stepped on a ball, that's you out for a year of your career.

SteveNZ

Sure but no one has made this argument seriously, like, ever. Maybe because it's an argument which falls apart after two seconds' thought. Oh no, you stepped on a ball, that's you out for a year of your career.
Wowza, where is this arsenal of awful analogies coming from? First we're jaywalking now we're stepping on a ball? And that ties into purposely altering the state of the ball and getting your less experienced team mate to take the fall how?

Spikey

You think Warner's punishment was unjust? As in unduly long? I can't follow the logic. I'm all for the booing of him, he brought the game into massive disrepute and on top of that, was so spineless he got others to do it for him. I hated the personal rubbish on him in SA but he can cop all this latest stuff.
doesnt make much sense this

Spark

Global Moderator
Wowza, where is this arsenal of awful analogies coming from? First we're jaywalking now we're stepping on a ball? And that ties into purposely altering the state of the ball and getting your less experienced team mate to take the fall how?
"Stepping on a ball" aka purposely altering the state of the ball aka ball tampering. Craig Overton did it by accident in this game, ripped big chunks out of the ball and immediately led to a ball change.

People have been scrutinised for this before, including a bowler playing in this Test match.

SteveNZ

Hmm ok, I'm going to need a neutral to tell me I'm not making any sense before I register that I'm not making sense.

Again, I cannot see why precious seconds were poured into typing about Craig Overton stepping on a ball as compared to a person intentionally cheating the laws of the game and being such a weak prick that he made someone else do it - because he knew it was wrong and wasn't prepared to own the decision. And being a spineless prick should always be factored into the punishment.

SteveNZ

Take it to the David Warner thread
Can't bring myself to click on the words 'David Warner'.

I'll hand it to Jason Roy, he looks every inch the confident Test cricketer before the game, after the game, before balls and after balls despite not looking particularly anywhere near it during the actual facing of the ball.

Spikey

Hmm ok, I'm going to need a neutral to tell me I'm not making any sense before I register that I'm not making sense.

Again, I cannot see why precious seconds were poured into typing about Craig Overton stepping on a ball as compared to a person intentionally cheating the laws of the game and being such a weak prick that he made someone else do it - because he knew it was wrong and wasn't prepared to own the decision. And being a spineless prick should always be factored into the punishment.
wha?