• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa 2019/20

Gremlin

There is a lot to be excited about this from an England perspective, you can see the beginnings of a new team working together. Well played.

And whilst SA are in a period of disarray there are players who have come through with some credit. I look forward to seeing them come stronger again over the next couple of years.

wpdavid

Utterly fantastic series win.
I think so. We all know that SA aren't as good as they were, but 3-1 overseas after losing the first test heavily isn't a common occurrence. Great for Mark Wood, in particular; proving quite a few CWers wrong in the process fwiw. And great to see the youngsters coming in and making a difference. One of the journalists was saying it's only the 3rd time in the last 40 years that we've won 3 consecutive tests in an overseas series, and one of the others was in SL also under Root's captaincy. it did take me a few minutes to remembered the other occasion, but I got there eventually.

Howe_zat

Great for Mark Wood, in particular; proving quite a few CWers wrong in the process fwiw.
I'm guessing that's a shot at me? :p

I have found him very overrated in the past, especially by those who demand us to have bowlers that aren't like Anderson as priority number one, as though wickets taken with balls that don't swing are somehow worth more.

He has been terrific in this series though. I would say the take is how it's been a huge turnaround for him and very exciting to see, rather than him always bowling like this and the rest of us not recognising it.

wpdavid

I have found him very overrated in the past, especially by those who demand us to have bowlers that aren't like Anderson as priority number one, as though wickets taken with balls that don't swing are somehow worth more.

He has been terrific in this series though. I would say the take is how it's been a huge turnaround for him and very exciting to see, rather than him always bowling like this and the rest of us not recognising it.
It wasn't intended to be aimed at you, just a generalisation that he hasn't been highly rated on these boards. Some folks have been more dismissive than others, but I didn't have you in mind at all. And I think that your final point is spot on.

MW1304

This isn't new though, he was fantastic all the way through last year, until he got injured in the World Cup final. That was the turnaround, this is just a continuation.

I suppose the question was whether he could maintain that after yet another injury, and this has proven he can.

flibbertyjibber

It wasn't intended to be aimed at you, just a generalisation that he hasn't been highly rated on these boards. Some folks have been more dismissive than others, but I didn't have you in mind at all. And I think that your final point is spot on.
Problem with him is obviously the injuries. He is meant to be the 90mph bowler but for over half his tests he has struggled to get much above 82mph. This version of him is an asset and should play all the time he is available as he is so dangerous. We all know he won't manage much more than a 30 test career though sadly.

wpdavid

The selectors deserve some credit for this win. Sticking with Sibley after he looked out of his depth in NZ, a successful punt on Crawley, looking beyond Denly's average to what his occupation of the crease actually gives this side, taking something of a punt on Wood, and recognising that Bess was a better bet than Parkinson after all. Buttler was probably the only duff call.

ImpatientLime

fair play to wood. I've been a vocal nay sayers of his on here but he's bowling rockets consistently in those two tests.

get him and archer fit and ready in australia next summer and we might see a contest.

two blokes who can take the pitch out of the equation.