• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Totalitarianism gone mad AKA the China thread

Starfighter

The well-known communist states with a weak military force.
Way to get hold of the wrong end of the stick. It's about us being weak, being dependent on the unfriendly China economically and the US militarily.

Well yes.

A laughable suggestion that if you want to be less reliant on the US you’re pro communist. The WestPac equivalent to the criticise Israel = antisemetic argument.
Completely wrong. Dastyari would have us weak while diminishing our main protective relationship. It's more of a 'they're building the settlements so we can't and shouldn't do anything about it' position. Of course he was buddying up to China and trying to swing our policy pro-Chinese on, among other things, their geopolitics. Reminds me of when some oppo figure recently criticised the government for implying China's governance system wasn't ideal.

Burgey

Dastyari got what he deserved in having to quit politics, but your comment was not limited to him at all.

Burgey

Having said that, he would absolutely still be in parliament if he was the Member for a marginal Liberal Party electorate in Melbourne.

Chewie

Would think then that 'non permanent resident' means 'resident (of Hong Kong) who is not permanent', i.e. has a some kind of temporary residency like a work visa (Australia is full of this type). If you are offered some sort of job posting there I'd be very cagey about taking it if you've ever said anything negative about China online.

I saw Sam Dastyari had an editorial on news.com claiming that we don't need to spend any money on defence and we should spend it on things we already spend staggering sums on. Now, someone remind me of why he's no longer a senator again?
Article 38 This Law shall apply to offences under this Law committed against the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region from outside the Region by a person who is not a permanent resident of the Region.
This is the english translation posted by xinhua

RossTaylorsBox

Is this law worse than laws against China itself? Like, if I'm at a Hong Kong independence protest I'll be ****ed if I go to Hong Kong, but less ****ed if I go to mainland China?

Spark

Global Moderator
That someone advocating keeping the country weak might also be someone who seems well taken with their system might not be a coincidence you now.
That's fine in itself but absolutely no one other than deranged tankies still thinks China is ideologically communist these days.

The most ardent and influential pro-China Westerners don't do so because of ideological sympathy for communism at all (tankies are a principally intra-left problem), the biggest pro-China boosters are business leaders who have lucrative investments in China and ex-diplomats who have basically swallowed the CCP line whole. Neither of whom are exactly ideological communists. In short they defend China because they make a lot of money doing so.

Spark

Global Moderator
Anyway, this is lovely:

https://apnews.com/fff5fc7925f09916bf6b9d5f79bb4132

Federal authorities in New York on Wednesday seized a shipment of weaves and other beauty accessories suspected to be made out of human hair taken from people locked inside a Chinese internment camp.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials told The Associated Press that 13 tons (11.8 metric tonnes) of hair products worth an estimated $800,000 were in the shipment.
Yeesh.

Flem274*

123/5
That's fine in itself but absolutely no one other than deranged tankies still thinks China is ideologically communist these days.

The most ardent and influential pro-China Westerners don't do so because of ideological sympathy for communism at all (tankies are a principally intra-left problem), the biggest pro-China boosters are business leaders who have lucrative investments in China and ex-diplomats who have basically swallowed the CCP line whole. Neither of whom are exactly ideological communists. In short they defend China because they make a lot of money doing so.
yep, the most pro-china party here are the tories

national have loads of fonterra connections too, and fonterra loves ccp blood money

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Wednesday’s shipment was made by Lop County Meixin Hair Product Co. Ltd. In May, a similar detention was placed on Hetian Haolin Hair Accessories Co. Ltd., although those weaves were synthetic, not human, the agency said. Hetian Haolin’s products were imported by Os Hair in Duluth, Georgia, and I & I Hair, headquartered in Dallas. I & I’s weaves are sold under the Innocence brand to salons and individuals around the U.S.

it would presumably be a start if they could prove it was human hair they had seized, never mind Uighur hair

(for the avoidance of doubt: this post is not defending any camps in Xinjiang but it would be nice if the authorities clamping down checked their intel sources a bit)

Last edited: