• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

16.51 Cents

Great Birtannia

Otherwise known as a New Zealand 20c piece.

A can of coke tastes so much better when you pay with one of those and rip the machine off 3.49 cents don't you think?

NZ 5c and 10c pieces have also infiltrated the Australian monetary system although they are not quite as prevalent as their 20c cousin.

The thing that keeps me up at night wondering is have the Australian varieties found their way into the NZ system?

Obviously, if that was the case, you would be praying that you receive an Australian 20c piece in change so the machine gives you an extra 4.2 cents more than you are entitled to. That would really make your day.

The thing that astounded me when I did a search for the picture of the 20c piece above is that they actually have a second face for the one denomination.

I have never seen this one in the Australian marketplace.

It begs the question, do the Kiwis keep these for themselves and only use the other variety as a way of ripping Australian businesses off when on holiday? A bad *** maori totem is obviously more coveted than some crappy bird that can't even fly.

Discuss.

Last edited:

Right arm fast

we now have a fancy small 20c coin that is about the size of an old 10c coin so in about three months no more aussies paying 4 cents less than required

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Haha, awesome work. :thumbsup:

So many times I've been given a NZ $1 coin by someone behind a cash register instead of $2, because they're very similar size, and I don't realise until later on.

I remember we used to blu-tack two 5c pieces together and try and make the vending machine think it was $2.

Oh, good times.

But anyways, I'd definently keep the Maori one over there. Steve Irwin would probably think it's some sort of weird artefact and keep it in quarantine.

Cloete

It is a shame though. You could be a rich man if you asked for all of your withrawals in new zealand in Australian 20c coins.

Great thread though :laugh:

Great Birtannia

I remember we used to blu-tack two 5c pieces together and try and make the vending machine think it was $2.
It only worked if you spray painted it gold first ;)

We also tried to drill a hole in a $2 coin with the idea of threading some fishing line through it and pulling the coin back up after the Coke and change had been dispensed. Funnily enough all the drilling achieved was rubbing the queen's head off the coin.

To be young and gullible!