• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Quarter Final - South Africa v Sri Lanka (18th March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

James

Cricket Web Owner
Discussion surrounding the 1st Quarter Final of the World Cup between South Africa and Sri Lanka (Sydney Cricket Ground).

Burgey

SA to get up here on the back of SL's uncertain bowling depth. Expect a good game though.

_Ed_

Apart from the NZ game of course, this is the one I'm most looking forward to.

Maximas

**** that, SL all over this I reckon, Herath to return, Malinga and Kula to fire after we bat first and put on 330

anil1405

Early wickets should test this SL middle and lower order plus fifth bowler is a worry for SL too.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
it is ridiculous how important that toss is in this match. It shouldn't be that important in an ODI, but Saffers suck so hard at chasing and SL's bowling has been so putrid this tournament.

Prad100w

Very tough call on this one. Should be a cracker. Both teams would wanna bat first here, than chasing a target, Specially SA (Knock out pressure and chasing under lights is gonna be a little difficult). They don't wanna end up in a situation where they choke while batting second against Malinga and the Srilankan spinners. Having said that, it they get over this one, i guess they would most likely go all the way in the tournament. Although SL chased brilliantly against England, it would not be easy against a quality all round bowling line up like SA.

YorksLanka

Very tough call on this one. Should be a cracker. Both teams would wanna bat first here, than chasing a target, Specially SA (Knock out pressure and chasing under lights is gonna be a little difficult). They don't wanna end up in a situation where they choke while batting second against Malinga and the Srilankan spinners. Having said that, it they get over this one, i guess they would most likely go all the way in the tournament. Although SL chased brilliantly against England, it would not be easy against a quality all round bowling line up like SA.
SA do have a quality bowling line up but, Steyn has been off the bowl so far and the only other bowler who looked threatening was Tahir..add in that the match is at SCG and I reckon it's SL down to whether SA batsmen choke..

Maximas

SA's ODI bowling isn't really all that good, can be destructive on their day but I can't see the fast bowling being too much of a problem after what we saw in the Aus-SL match and having seen our top order handle NZ seamers reasonably well throughout the earlier part of the summer. Tahir is a threat, and if SA bat first and get off to a decent start I'll get very worried

anil1405

Yup the bowling attack is not so great as some think it is.

Abbott bowled well in whatever chances he got and more importantly picked up wickets at the beginning of the innings. Would like to see him in the eleven but tough to see whom he would replace.

Snippie27

Abbott bowled well in whatever chances he got and more importantly picked up wickets at the beginning of the innings. Would like to see him in the eleven but tough to see whom he would replace.

My ideal 11 would be:

Amla
Du Plessis
Rossouw
Miller
De Villiers (C and Wk)
Duminy
Behardien
Abbott
Steyn
Tahir
Morkel

12th: Philander

Harsh on Vern but can't see us leaving out Steyn and we need Behardien for his batting...

OverratedSanity

How the farrk have the Saffies never won a WC knockout match?
Add to that world t20 knock outs and they still haven't won one EVER
Coz they're absolutely pathetic and they bottle it in knockout situations repeatedly. As an extension, have they even won a single WC match which was a "must-win"... not even talking about knockout matches, because the 2003 match vs SL where they screwed up the D/L calculations, while not technically a knockout game, was a must win for SA. Every time they get into a scenario where they have to win to stay alive in the tournament, they just bottle it. It's an incredible record.

smalishah84

The Tiger King
the toss is important for SA and so is batting first. If they lose the toss or end up batting 2nd. Forget it. They'll crumble.

Having said that, this team is good enough to post 350 even in a QF, if they bat first.

And Amla is key. He needs to bat long