• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2017 NZ General Election

Athlai

Not Terrible
I can only hope that he's given up policy in exchange for cabinet positions because he panders to the lowest common denominator and you know exactly who they are Athlai.

Labour have done the exact same thing in the build up to this election. This is real dangerous territory.
Lets not act like NZ First is a party made up solely of racist pricks, sure thats where most of the most outspoken of those folk end up voting but as a party they've been a perfectly respectable champion of elderly rights for the last few decades now. They've also rarely looked to enact any actual policy that is particularly harsh or unfair based on race.

Labour was already campaigning on bringing down immigration numbers and had discussed ideas to put barriers in place for foreign buyers. I'm personally not a fan of implementing a reduction of any kind but I don't exactly feel even NZ First is talking about particularly Draconian immigration measures.

This isn't America, we aren't talking about banning muslims and refugees. All parties had campaigned on raising the number of refugees (aside from NZ First who campaigned on it staying the same/whatever), and I may be mistaken here but I also haven't seen any form of policy that will target Asian migrants or buyers specifically, the net will be cast on everyone inbound which to me sounds pretty reasonable.

hendrix

Lets not act like NZ First is a party made up solely of racist pricks, sure thats where most of the most outspoken of those folk end up voting but as a party they've been a perfectly respectable champion of elderly rights for the last few decades now. They've also rarely looked to enact any actual policy that is particularly harsh or unfair based on race.

Labour was already campaigning on bringing down immigration numbers and had discussed ideas to put barriers in place for foreign buyers. I'm personally not a fan of implementing a reduction of any kind but I don't exactly feel even NZ First is talking about particularly Draconian immigration measures.

This isn't America, we aren't talking about banning muslims and refugees. All parties had campaigned on raising the number of refugees (aside from NZ First who campaigned on it staying the same/whatever), and I may be mistaken here but I also haven't seen any form of policy that will target Asian migrants or buyers specifically, the net will be cast on everyone inbound which to me sounds pretty reasonable.
One of the first press releases:

"Prime Minister designate Jacinda Ardern appears to be indicating that big cuts to immigration are on the way and that farmers won't face a charge for water."

This is ludicrously naive, Athlai. I don't know which sand you're burying your head in but it sure as hell can't be outside of the boundaries of Cuba St.

How long ago was Asiansoundingnamesgate?

How long before our English-speaking "standards" for visas become higher than the literacy of most of our school leaders?

And will we continue to judge these standards based on "English-English" (i.e. commonwealth/white people English), pretending that people speaking with an Indian or African accent (who often speak English as a first language with more technically grammatically correct syntax) don't speak "our" language?

I am very concerned.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
That sounds incredibly scare-mongery, none of this things are happening.

Labour campaigned on reducing immigration, and it was pretty damn obvious that policy was going to stick around for a NZ First coaliition and the farmer one wouldn't. No surprises at all there.

Athlai

Not Terrible
The big policy that drew my vote - farmer's paying for water - has already been removed.
I wouldn't be surprised to see it rise again called something else, Labour getting smacked over anything sounding like a tax made them cop out more than anything.

hendrix

That sounds incredibly scare-mongery, none of this things are happening.
Asiansoundingnames happened. Muh' jobs muh' land muh' right to destroy the environment is pretty much here too.

What position have the Greens negotiated for themselves?

How have they let the water tax come off the table? On what planet does a Green Party allow for that to be removed?

Athlai

Not Terrible
Asiansoundingnames happened. Muh' jobs muh' land muh' right to destroy the environment is pretty much here too.

What position have the Greens negotiated for themselves?

How have they let the water tax come off the table? On what planet does a Green Party allow for that to be removed?
Reportedly this

GREENS' POLICY GAINS:

- Significant climate action with a shift to a net-zero carbon emissions economy by 2050 (specific focuses will be on transport, energy and primary industries).

- The establishment of an independent climate commission.

- Support for a shift in farming to more sustainable land use.

- Overhaul of the welfare system, removing "excessive sanctions" and a review of Working for Families.

- Increase to conservation budget.

- New water quality measures.

- Free counselling for under-25s and access to mental health services and support for everyone.

- Special needs education access.

- Progress to end gender pay gap in public service.

- A reduction in number of students living in hardship.

- Increase in funding for drug and alcohol addictions services and a referendum on the personal use of cannabis by the 2020 election.

hendrix

Reportedly this

GREENS' POLICY GAINS:

- Significant climate action with a shift to a net-zero carbon emissions economy by 2050 (specific focuses will be on transport, energy and primary industries).

- The establishment of an independent climate commission.

- Support for a shift in farming to more sustainable land use.

- Increase to conservation budget.
Translation: We subsidise dairy farmers and then pay to fix up their mess later. Sprinkle in some token funding for Biotech research that's supposedly going to magically turn dairy cows into unicorns that fart and burp Guerlain, hey presto!

Weak. Weak. Weak.

We have the solution right in front of us.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah kiwis just fundamentally hate tax now. Blame it on the Americanisation of our society or something.

If NZ First were just anti-migrant I'd roll my eyes but wouldn't be too worried about them because they'd never get votes.

The issue is they're woefully uninformed on every topic.

Several weeks ago Ron Marks posted a photo of the Waipawa bragging how clean and green it was and how Labour are nuts. Because he has no understanding of the issues surrounding our waterways and even more importantly, no desire to understand, he didn't see the issue with the Waipawa catchment which was right in front of him all along - it was full of gravel.

The Waipawa is not meant to be a braided river, but it is fast becoming one because of the deforestation on the slopes surrounding it. It is completely altered and that isn't just an ecological issue it is also a safety one because now the Waipawa channel has to support both its water transport and its bedload transport, which is the jargon way of saying that bitch is like a million times more flood prone.

NZ First also bury their heads in the sand when it comes to the retirement age. So do Labour, but they don't need a friend with them in that corner and Labour almost lost my vote over that. I can't recall what NZ First plan to do about automation but its Winston so it will be something unrealistic and stupid.

Their policies boil down to "we will have free access to markets, but we will protect our traders from overseas traders, and overseas traders will bend over for this completely unrealistic dribble because everyone so wants to trade with us because we are NEW ZEALAND P.S. pls don't ask us how much our policies will cost because we don't actually know."

The best thing Adern can do for NZ is take up Winston on his promise of being the first man into the Pike River death trap and lock the door behind him.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Translation: We subsidise dairy farmers and then pay to fix up their mess later. Sprinkle in some token funding for Biotech research that's supposedly going to magically turn dairy cows into unicorns that fart and burp Guerlain, when we have the solution right in front of us but just can't be arsed facing up to it.

Weak. Weak. Weak.
And the Greens will still get more done this time round than they did when they got 10% of the vote in the last election. Weird how it works out eh?

Flem274*

123/5
@ Hendrix: There won't be any biotech because the Green, NZ First and Labour base will all hate it because FRANKENFOOD. Science and technology is one of the areas where National voters are more open to change because they're usually businesses and farmers. It's just National voters also like to defund anything that smells like a crown research program.

so actually its business as usual for a few years.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah kiwis just fundamentally hate tax now. Blame it on the Americanisation of our society or something.

If NZ First were just anti-migrant I'd roll my eyes but wouldn't be too worried about them because they'd never get votes.

The issue is they're woefully uninformed on every topic.

Several weeks ago Ron Marks posted a photo of the Waipawa bragging how clean and green it was and how Labour are nuts. Because he has no understanding of the issues surrounding our waterways and even more importantly, no desire to understand, he didn't see the issue with the Waipawa catchment which was right in front of him all along - it was full of gravel.

The Waipawa is not meant to be a braided river, but it is fast becoming one because of the deforestation on the slopes surrounding it. It is completely altered and that isn't just an ecological issue it is also a safety one because now the Waipawa channel has to support both its water transport and its bedload transport, which is the jargon way of saying that bitch is like a million times more flood prone.

NZ First also bury their heads in the sand when it comes to the retirement age. So do Labour, but they don't need a friend with them in that corner and Labour almost lost my vote over that. I can't recall what NZ First plan to do about automation but its Winston so it will be something unrealistic and stupid.

Their policies boil down to "we will have free access to markets, but we will protect our traders from overseas traders, and overseas traders will bend over for this completely unrealistic dribble because everyone so wants to trade with us because we are NEW ZEALAND P.S. pls don't ask us how much our policies will cost because we don't actually know."

The best thing Adern can do for NZ is take up Winston on his promise of being the first man into the Pike River death trap and lock the door behind him.
Yeah I'm no fan of the retirement age being set in stone for 65 but it's not exactly inevitable economic total disaster at this point.

Bahnz

Winston happily settling back into his old foreign affairs chair is interesting - there'd been a lot of thought that he was a bit old for all the travelling involved.

hendrix

Winston happily settling back into his old foreign affairs chair is interesting - there'd been a lot of thought that he was a bit old for all the travelling involved.
Lol he won't go anywhere or read anything or do any actual work. The guy gave up working 20 years ago in Jenny Shipley's government ffs.

Bahnz

Lol he won't go anywhere or read anything or do any actual work. The guy gave up working 20 years ago in Jenny Shipley's government ffs.
Heh, I heard some tales form people who worked in the Treasury back in those days that Winston would literally fall asleep during his officials meetings in his role as Treasurer.