• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

6th Match - New Zealand v Scotland

Bleed_Blue

A freak and very unfortunate last 30-45 minutes for the game. More often than not a minnow like Scotland would lose by 10 wickets in such a game.
Scotland only need to lose by a huge margin in their next game for the order to be restored.
Machan is no AB and Wardlaw is no Steyn. This bowling performance from Scotland will be insignificant coz Scotland will be thumped by all other teams in coming days. #Bleed_Blue
Absolutely right! Had New Zealand been playing a proper team they wouldn't have played with such abandon but they knew the result was never in doubt, this is what essentially devalues these contests with minnows, they are not worthy full ODI status

Athlai

Not Terrible
Absolutely right! Had New Zealand been playing a proper team they wouldn't have played with such abandon but they knew the result was never in doubt, this is what essentially devalues these contests with minnows, they are not worthy full ODI status
They should just award the win at the start of the game based on which team is ranked higher right? How do you feel about Trent Boult?

anil1405

So how and when exactly should a minnow be awarded an ODI status in your opinion?

Flem274*

123/5
They shouldn't obv. Should just give IPL teams ODI status and have everything played in India. Associate players can play for the Mumbai Nobody Cares or the Kolkota Snooze if they're good enough. International cricket is shelved in favour of franchises made up of players with no connection to the average Indian cricket fan on the street.

Hurricane

They shouldn't obv. Should just give IPL teams ODI status and have everything played in India. Associate players can play for the Mumbai Nobody Cares or the Kolkota Snooze if they're good enough. International cricket is shelved in favour of franchises made up of players with no connection to the average Indian cricket fan on the street.
too scary to push the like button for

Bleed_Blue

So how and when exactly should a minnow be awarded an ODI status in your opinion?
A minnow should be made to play a certain amount of List A matches each year and should have to achieve certain targets in terms of results if they don't achieve if then no One Day status for them. This is a World Cup not an NGO you can't just go handing out ODI status willy nilly to teams that clearly aren't good enough.

I am all for having more countries included but just throwing them in is like a band aide solution, which much like the quota system does not work!

anil1405

A minnow should be made to play a certain amount of List A matches each year and should have to achieve certain targets in terms of results if they don't achieve if then no One Day status for them. This is a World Cup not an NGO you can't just go handing out ODI status willy nilly to teams that clearly aren't good enough.

I am all for having more countries included but just throwing them in is like a band aide solution, which much like the quota system does not work!
A perfect example of a statement that contradicts what you are saying here. On one hand you want ODI status awarded to a team that achieves considerable success and certain targets in List A matches, which Ireland (to name one) clearly has.

On the contrary, you are against such teams playing in WC.

flibbertyjibber

Fair play to Scotland for making a game of it. Went to bed expecting it would be a right thrashing. Pleasant surprise when I woke up.

YorksLanka

yes agree, when i went to bed i expected the scots to get around 100 and for NZ to knock them off at a canter!The lad Machan seems to have a bit about him, i believe he plays county cricket?

Bahnz

Found it itstl that Martin Crowe opted for Guptill as his "break-out" player for the World Cup.

Athlai

Not Terrible

this is almost exactly what they actually go through to achieve odi status. It isn't handed out, it is earnt. You'll notice the Dutch land Kenyans are no longer ODI nations.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Found it itstl that Martin Crowe opted for Guptill as his "break-out" player for the World Cup.
Form player in OD cricket. Playing mostly at home. Tries harder than anyone. Not the strangest call. I feel he could top score for us but my guppy love is so oft repeated it'd be fairly meaningless to harp on about.

Agent Nationaux

a minnow should be made to play a certain amount of list a matches each year and should have to achieve certain targets in terms of results if they don't achieve if then no one day status for them. This is a world cup not an ngo you can't just go handing out odi status willy nilly to teams that clearly aren't good enough.

lol

Bahnz

Form player in OD cricket. Playing mostly at home. Tries harder than anyone. Not the strangest call. I feel he could top score for us but my guppy love is so oft repeated it'd be fairly meaningless to harp on about.
Maybe, but I'm still not sure whether Guppy doing well would qualify him as a "break out" player. He's been on the scene for about 6 years now, has achieved notable success in ODI cricket throughout much of that period and already qualifies as one of New Zealand's best ever LO opening batsman. I would say if he was ever going to be the break-out player of a major tournament, it probably would've been for something like the 2009 Champion's Trophy are some such.

veganbob

Maybe, but I'm still not sure whether Guppy doing well would qualify him as a "break out" player. He's been on the scene for about 6 years now, has achieved notable success in ODI cricket throughout much of that period and already qualifies as one of New Zealand's best ever LO opening batsman. I would say if he was ever going to be the break-out player of a major tournament, it probably would've been for something like the 2009 Champion's Trophy are some such.
I think Crowe means in terms of being truly "world class" this could be his tournament to show it. In general Guppy doesn't get the respect he deserves. I think how good an opener he has been at odi level will only be fully realized by NZ public after he retires, For example I remember Astle getting the same criticisms as guppy, but now that he has retired people try and remember him as an "nz odi legend."
The reality is Guptil would walk into an all time NZ odi xi, he is clearly a better one day batsman than either Astle or Flem were and has the stats to back it up.

veganbob

I don't know if he is better than Astle, he hasn't won us a fraction of the games that Astle did. Different times, better bats, flatter NZ wickets etc if you are going solely on his average.
Not solely going on average.Even when the stats have been modified I think guppy's look better. His record is significantly better than astles. Average +strike rate + Astle generally below par performances in world cups. Apart from a couple of home series deciders, Astle used to go missing in big series,(I'm talking solely odis here)
I think even when he looks bad guptil hangs on a bit more, I always felt if a opening bowler back in the day was in form .. astle would get out early,

GGG

I don't know if he is better than Astle, he hasn't won us a fraction of the games that Astle did. Guptil 101 games and 6 hundreds, Astle 223 games and 16 hundreds. I would think Astles average would be closer to 40 if he was playing on the flatter NZ wickets today with a meaty but light bat.