• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

adam milne- who should NZ replace him with?

Who should replace Adam Milne?

• Kyle Mills

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Mitch Mclen

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Leave him alone("x factor")

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters

halba

he has looked robotic in this cup so far. coming in, his ODI stats were not impressive. In summary purely picked on potential, but has not delivered as yet.

In conclusion his robotic, mechanical bowling style has no swing or seam. Just straight up and down.

Who would you replace him with ? Mills or Mclen?

Imho with Mclen, nz's attack looks world class, as mclen has recent wicket taking ability. in the warm up vs SAF, Mclen was unplayable. 8 overs, 2 for 23 vs SAF in warm up, should've made him picked.

Last edited:

jonbrooks

he has looked robotic in this cup so far. coming in, his ODI stats were not impressive. In summary purely picked on potential, but has not delivered as yet.

In conclusion his robotic, mechanical bowling style has no swing or seam. Just straight up and down.

Imho with Mclen, nz's attack looks world class, as mclen has recent wicket taking ability. in the warm up vs SAF, Mclen was unplayable. 8 overs, 2 for 23 vs SAF in warm up, should've made him picked.
I'd go with Mills. He's economical, experienced , a wicket taker and a pretty good bat as well.

wellAlbidarned

The guy who he should be replaced with (if we were going to, which we aren't) unfortunately didn't make the squad [/henry4lyf]

Bahnz

For a start this isn't true. Go back and watch any of the games in the WC so far, and Milne does get swing, it's just not as pronounced or exaggerated as Southee or Boult - and that's not surprising given that a) he's bowling with an older ball (and in the case of the NZ v Aus game a much older ball) and b) his role in the team is to focus on being accurate and fast.

But setting that aside, Milne's roll in the bowling attack is being seriously overlooked by those calling for his dismissal imo. He's not in the team primarily to rip through sides with the new ball - I get that given his Bond-esque action and speed people expect that of him, but that's just not what he's there for. Sure he'll bowl a 3 or 4 overs with the newish ball, but he's mainly there to come on and bowl in the final 20 overs when batting sides are looking to start playing more aggressive shots. His extra pace and bounce in those overs can and frequently has proven to be the difference between the ball disappearing into the crowd, and the ball shooting straight up in the air. However, in this World Cup, Southee, Boult and Vettori have been so awesome that Milne has never really been needed in this capacity. Against England, Australia, Scotland and Afghanistan, the hard yards had by and large been done by the 30 over mark. In the one game where Milne's late-innings bowling was kinda needed - against SRL - he came through very nicely, carving through Sri Lanka's middle-lower order like a hot knife through buttery icing.

Initially, the biggest concern for me about Milne was the pace he was bowling at in the first 3 games. But now he's back to bowling in the 145-153kph zone now, so that's that. I agree that the fact that Milne remains largely untested going into the QF's is kinda worrying, and I am fretting over whether he's the best bet in that scenario. But the fact that he hasn't had much work to do in the World Cup so far shouldn't be taken as a sign that he isn't playing well, or at least isn't capable of fulfilling the role he was selected for.

Last edited:

Dan

Global Moderator
Stealing Phlegm's gag. Milne is the fastest Gavin Larsen in existence. Absolutely incredible economy rate in recent times for a 22-year-old tearaway.

I don't think he should be dropped -- he certainly hasn't performed that badly -- however if he is it's testament to the quality of the depth quicks like McCleneneneneneneneneneghan and Ol' Man River.

SteveNZ

Stealing Phlegm's gag. Milne is the fastest Gavin Larsen in existence. Absolutely incredible economy rate in recent times for a 22-year-old tearaway.

I don't think he should be dropped -- he certainly hasn't performed that badly -- however if he is it's testament to the quality of the depth quicks like McCleneneneneneneneneneghan and Ol' Man River.
Flem used this? I was sitting there watching the Afghani game the other day thinking the exact same thing. It's ridiculous how a guy who bowls 150km has such a below average strike rate but an amazingly good economy rate.

So no way are we dropping him. He'll prove handy at knocking a tail over at some stage as well, if required.

Flem274*

123/5
For a start this isn't true. Go back and watch any of the games in the WC so far, and Milne does get swing, it's just not as pronounced or exaggerated as Southee or Boult - and that's not surprising given that a) he's bowling with an older ball (and in the case of the NZ v Aus game a much older ball) and b) his role in the team is to focus on being accurate and fast.

But setting that aside, Milne's roll in the bowling attack is being seriously overlooked by those calling for his dismissal imo. He's not in the team primarily to rip through sides with the new ball - I get that given his Bond-esque action and speed people expect that of him, but that's just not what he's there for. Sure he'll bowl a 3 or 4 overs with the newish ball, but he's mainly there to come on and bowl in the final 20 overs when batting sides are looking to start playing more aggressive shots. His extra pace and bounce in those overs can and frequently has proven to be the difference between the ball disappearing into the crowd, and the ball shooting straight up in the air. However, in this World Cup, Southee, Boult and Vettori have been so awesome that Milne has never really been needed in this capacity. Against England, Australia, Scotland and Afghanistan, the hard yards had by and large been done by the 30 over mark. In the one game where Milne's late-innings bowling was kinda needed - against SRL - he came through very nicely, carving through Sri Lanka's middle-lower order like a hot knife through buttery icing.

Initially, the biggest concern for me about Milne was the pace he was bowling at in the first 3 games. But now he's back to bowling in the 145-153kph zone now, so that's that. I agree that the fact that Milne remains largely untested going into the QF's is kinda worrying, and I am fretting over whether he's the best bet in that scenario. But the fact that he hasn't had much work to do in the World Cup so far shouldn't be taken as a sign that he isn't playing well, or at least isn't capable of fulfilling the role he was selected for.
so much this. we saw in the UAE how he was too fast for even Afridi. lots of teams have some very cheap icing down the order and milne deals with them. we'll need his ability at it in this tournament.

i am a little concerned he's not getting the overs and consequently isn't bowling as well as he was before the tournament but he balances the bowling well. also worth noting that average has plummeted down from about one million. didn't he have 1 or 2 wickets after almost ten games thanks to getting random one off odis as a raw teen?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
The fact that up until the most recent game he had bowled 25 overs says it all imo. We've got Anderson doing the McClenaghan role of buying wickets at a high ER. Couple that with the phenomenal wicket taking of SoBo and, off all people, Vettori in this tournament, we've got a perfectly balanced attack.

Also he took 1-38 and Southee took 0-43 :ph34r:

Zinzan

Milne not taking wickets is also a bit of a myth.

In 14 matches in the 20014/15 he has 16 wickets @ 33 with an ER of 4.71 - (And that's saying nothing of the 3 catches dropped off his bowling in the UAE)

These are excellent numbers in this day & age even if we would like that average below 30 ...The ER of 4.71 just superb.

It was the pre 2014/15 Milne who couldn't buy a wicket & got some serious tap.

Last edited:

jonbrooks

ROFLMAO! Fastest Gavin Larsen. Love it!

Dan

Global Moderator
Yeah, Milne's career stats to date are nerfed by his 19-year-old exploits where he was quick (when not injured) but also sprayed it around with no movement on tiny subcontinental grounds. I remember him playing a T20 where he went for about 12 an over, not because he bowled that badly, but because useless Pakistani batsmen kept edging him 15m either side of deep third man for 4.

Dan

Global Moderator
Milne's season splits:

2012/13 -- 1 @ 38.00 (ER: 4.07, SR: 56)
2013/14 -- 1 @ 174.00 (ER: 6.32, SR: 165)
2014/15 -- 16 @ 33.87 (ER: 4.71, SR: 43)

GGG

Mills, should have been the 1st or 2nd pick from the start, Vettori and Mills bowling out from the 12th over onwards, 20 overs 3 for 60.

GGG

The guy who he should be replaced with (if we were going to, which we aren't) unfortunately didn't make the squad [/henry4lyf]
I though if there is an injury a player can be drafted in? Not going to happen but if no Mills then I would go with him.