• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Air France jet missing over Atlantic, 228 on board

andmark

I don't know much about planes and stuff, but isn't it better to crash in the sea then on land? Land being all solid and hard and earthy and stuff.
I'm not sure how acccurate this is but... In Goldfinger, a plane landed in the ocean, it then exploded when the water reached the electronics.
Also hitting the water at that height, is like going into a brick wall at enormous speed.

Bad news for relatives to say the least.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, I read that planes are frequently struck by lightning and that nothing happens

PhoenixFire

I'm not sure how acccurate this is but... In Goldfinger, a plane landed in the ocean, it then exploded when the water reached the electronics.
Also hitting the water at that height, is like going into a brick wall at enormous speed.

Yeah I was watching some programme once (might have been Mythbusters) and they determined that if you drop an empty oil drum onto water from 40m, the water tension makes water 'harder' than concrete. Completely destroyed it.

Cruxdude

Generally when a plane ditches it is as someone said flying into a wall. Generally the plane breaks up. Watch Air Crash Investigation for more details.

Matt79

Global Moderator

As a general rule, I'd treat any physics you see in a Bond film with a degree of scepticism.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
RIP to the victims and my thoughts are with their families.

Doesn't exactly make me any more confident about my flight on friday...

DCC_legend

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8079122.stm

Yeah, wreckage has been spotted but as yet no survivors and according to the report they still have to pick up some wreckage to confirm that it is actually that Air France aircraft.

Such a tragedy, hope some good comes of this. Also just found out that one of the passengers on the aircraft live no more than 25 miles away from my hometown :(.

Top_Cat

I don't understand how it takes so long to find the plane? It's been 24 hours already.
Most of the searching is being done by boat as there's only so much you can see by air. Over a few hundred square km, can take a long, long time...

DCC_legend

Especially during the night when there's a few hundred metres visibility with the search lights, and that's in one direction. I think my Dad told me, the search lights the RNLI use during the night only allow them to search just over 1 square kilometre an hour, but don't quote me on that.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket

Crashing into water from a height is almost as lethal as crashing into land from a height.

biased indian

RIP to the victims and my thoughts are with their families.

Doesn't exactly make me any more confident about my flight on friday...
reminds me ..night before i was to take 3 flight to home from indonesia..i was watching air crash investigation on NGC..andevery flight was like hell...any sound or movemnt i would get doubtfull :)