• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Air France jet missing over Atlantic, 228 on board

biased indian

Latest update

Air France says the Airbus jet that disappeared en route from Rio de Janeiro to Paris sent an automatic signal indicating electrical problems while going through an area of strong turbulence.
Air France says in a statement the plane that carried 228 on board "crossed through a thunderous zone with strong turbulence" at 0200 GMT Monday (10:00 p.m. EDT Sunday).
It says "an automatic message was received at 0214 GMT (10:14 p.m. EDT Sunday) signaling electrical circuit malfunction."
It says the 216 passengers included one infant, seven children, 82 women and 126 men.
It says the plane entered service in 2005 and last underwent maintenance April 16.

not looking good :(

The Sean

"Lightning strike" and "catastrophic systems failure" are two of the (perhaps related) causes being bandied about...whatever happened the plane would now have run out of fuel regardless, and for there to be no sign of it on any radar is truly worrying.

I would love to be wrong but I can't see any scenario now other than worst-case. :(

Jamee999

I don't know much about planes and stuff, but isn't it better to crash in the sea then on land? Land being all solid and hard and earthy and stuff.

Matt79

Global Moderator
You hit water hard enough, it isn't very forgiving. And while it may possibly mean less structural damage to the plane, if you're too far from land, don't have time to ditch into your life rafts, and aren't rescued pretty damn quick, it ain't any better for the people on board...

Jamee999

Yeah. I'm not claiming it's good or anything, but planes float, and stuff, so it's less bad than hitting the earth.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Not if you're crashing. Plane nose dives into the water it'll disintegrate on impact just like it would on land. And the water landing we saw earlier in the year was on a plane that still had some control on calm waters without much speed. This would be a plane travelling fast, falling from a great height with possibly no control into the Alantic ocean.

Hate to say it but I don't think there is much hope.

Top_Cat

Emergency landing on water is exponentially more difficult. Put it this way; the one into the Hudson was the first non-fatal ditching ever.

EDIT: should add, subject to conditions. Other pilots I've spoken to, type-rated on A320's, have said they'd definitely rather ditch in clear skies than land on a wet night with elevator control after an engine failure, 25kt crosswinds, etc.

Last edited:

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
Emergency landing on water is exponentially more difficult. Put it this way; the one into the Hudson was the first non-fatal ditching ever.
That was just plain freakish, but hopefully another freakish one can come through again.

howardj

Not if you're crashing. Plane nose dives into the water it'll disintegrate on impact just like it would on land. And the water landing we saw earlier in the year was on a plane that still had some control on calm waters without much speed. This would be a plane travelling fast, falling from a great height with possibly no control into the Alantic ocean.

Hate to say it but I don't think there is much hope.
You're clearing winging it.

Top_Cat

Anticipating massive activity in Airbus's finances if the selling hasn't started already. The first A330 to go down in cruise flight = bad news for shareholders. People were already rattled over what happened over Learmonth a while back, this won't help matters.

No hope for survivors;

Air France plane carrying 228 people disappears in storm over the Atlantic

EDIT: from what I've been hearing through various sources, lightning seems to be a bit of a red herring. A 747 and MD-10 went through the same area this A330 went through before and after, respectively, it disappeared and reported nothing unusual.

The more I hear, the more I'm worried it's a fault with the A330. No comms? Yikes.

Last edited: