• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ajmal Action Reported

fredfertang

Why is that?
At the end of the day its contrary to the laws that have served the game well for centuries - I do get why it was important to try and accomodate Murali, but even he shouldn't really have been allowed to bowl it because, unless I have misunderstood something, it is impossible for anyone other than a freak to bowl it without straightening the elbow. The fact that elbows (eg Glen McGrath's) have been proved to flex a bit generally is neither here nor there imo. There were many who said at the time that allowing Murali to keep his doosra was like opening Pandora's Box, and they have been proved right - off spinners, Murali himself being the best example, were plenty dangerous enough when no one had ever heard of a doosra and Graeme Swann proved they don't need it now - if an off spinner wants to turn one the other way then he needs to have a word with Johnny Gleeson, not start chucking

harsh.ag

Because no one seems capable of bowling it without chucking.
Yeah, it seems very tough. Saqlain and Murali (due to his unusual arm) probably the only ones. We can't say for sure about Saqi either, of course, but it looked okay.

Would love to see someone do it legitimately in a regular fashion. It's not that off spinners need it or anything, it's just more fun seeing batsmen dancing down the wicket to an offie, and then completely losing their **** and getting stumped.

zorax

likes this
At the end of the day its contrary to the laws that have served the game well for centuries - I do get why it was important to try and accomodate Murali, but even he shouldn't really have been allowed to bowl it because, unless I have misunderstood something, it is impossible for anyone other than a freak to bowl it without straightening the elbow. The fact that elbows (eg Glen McGrath's) have been proved to flex a bit generally is neither here nor there imo. There were many who said at the time that allowing Murali to keep his doosra was like opening Pandora's Box, and they have been proved right - off spinners, Murali himself being the best example, were plenty dangerous enough when no one had ever heard of a doosra and Graeme Swann proved they don't need it now - if an off spinner wants to turn one the other way then he needs to have a word with Johnny Gleeson, not start chucking
Well firstly Murali was reported for his orthodox offbreak as well; not just the doosra, and secondly I think it's pretty important that we discovered that all bowlers have a certain amount of flex. I mean, it was bound to happen eventually, wasn't it?

I for one think this chucking mess we have gotten ourselves into is a good thing. This is a discussion cricket needs to be having. All the research, rhetoric, debates and analysis is a good thing...because it means that we will eventually, once and for all, be clear on what defines a chuck.

In the meanwhile, if a bowler is capable of bowling it legally or, preferably, with a clean looking action...I don't see the problem with it.

fredfertang

Not sure why Murali being reported for his orthodox delivery is of much relevance - his action always looked dodgy, but was proved not to because of his physical attributes, the freak factor if you like. It's the same for those like Akhtar and, further back, Harold Rhodes, whose hyperextension made them look like they were chucking when they weren't - further back still I suspect that was the problem Eddie Gilbert had too

And I don't see how you can say its enough to look clean - Charlie Griffith had an action that looked clean, till he unleashed his bouncer or yorker at which point whether intentionally or not he chucked it - imo you either have to allow all throwing or none of it and if you allow it all then you fundamentally change the game

As to how you tell the science is excellent, but you can't do it to every single delivery - test bowlers all you like but in match conditions the rule should be if it looks like a chuck then its an illegal delivery unless the bowler, like Murali did, can demonstrate to the scientists that his delivery is ok

zorax

likes this
Sorry, read your 'do' as a 'don't'.

Banning something because only a freak of nature could achieve it doesn't seen like sound logic IMO.

fredfertang

Sorry, read your 'do' as a 'don't'.

Banning something because only a freak of nature could achieve it doesn't seen like sound logic IMO.
It's the chuck I want outlawed, not the doosra - those few who are able to bowl it without chucking the ball I have no problem with whatsoever

grecian

It's the chuck I want outlawed, not the doosra - those few who are able to bowl it without chucking the ball I have no problem with whatsoever
Yep pretty much, Saqlain's was a canny ball, but it never really turned massively did it? Happy to be proven wrong.

Off-spinners need not worry, Swann and Herath have thrived because of DRS (as I've gone on about boringly in the past) they're in the game more than conventional Finger-spinners were for decades. As Maximas said you'll still get spinners using guile and flight to outfox batters and end up making them look stupid without having to think "he's chucked that". Much better.

I still am of the belief it's a ball I really don't like at all, go away please.

TNT

Banned
Ajmal throws team mates under the bus.

Pakistan's suspended off-spinner Saeed Ajmal does not believe that the national cricket team will be able to make the semi-finals of the upcoming World Cup in Australia and New Zealand. Speaking on Geo Super channel, the seasoned campaigner tipped Australia, South Africa, New Zealand and India to be in the semi-finals.
"Pakistan's bowling is not strong for this tournament and if Mohammad Hafeez is also not cleared to bowl then our bowling is going to be tested a lot," he said.
World Cup: Saeed Ajmal Counts Pakistan Out of Semi-Final Race - World Cup 2015 News

Daemon

Meh, you only need to win one game to be in the semis. Odds are against them but it's not hard to see them making it. Not finishing last of the top 4 in their group will certainly help.

Last edited:

hendrix

ICC to fast-track suspect actions during World Cup | Cricket News | ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 | ESPN Cricinfo

ICC obviously looking to wrap up Narine's testing in the early stages of the World Cup. Good on 'em.
Hahahahahahahahahahahha
Hahahahhhhaha

**** you wicb
It's not quite fool-proof.
Narine could feasibly not bowl all his deliveries before the semis or something.

I really think the ICC should pressure WICB to have him thoroughly, officially tested before the world cup. This is not a court of law, this is a sports board. They can make that request, and WICB would be ****s to decline it.

Flem274*

123/5
No test, no world cup imo

for the whole team

while they're at it the ICC could take over the WICB and give their fans a board and a team they can support without the constant off-field heartbreak.

Noah

It's not quite fool-proof.
Narine could feasibly not bowl all his deliveries before the semis or something.
Yeah, but even if he doesn't bowl a quicker ball in the group stages I suspect an umpire will report him for a few deliveries.