• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Amazon Kindle

Top_Cat

I'm sure it'll be reasonably popular but I highly doubt it'll be the 'future of book reading'. In the midst of CD sales going down and MP3 popularity increasing, has anyone else noticed a fairly sharp increase in vinyl buying? Despite the fact vinyl doesn't actually sound any better these days (everything, regardless of the medium, is recorded digitally so buying vinyl for the analogue sound is a waste of time), people still want to own stuff in a meaningful way and have a physical version of it sitting on their shelf. A device which has text on a screen doesn't imbue it with something the person feels like they own.

plus, I don't believe for a second that the screen is indistinguishable from reading a book. Your eyes know better than that. :D

Matteh

Swear i heard at some point that 7" vinyl is currently the highest selling medium. I'm a fan of vinyl, S&G - Bridge Over Troubled Water for 10p, epic bargain.

Top_Cat

Swear i heard at some point that 7" vinyl is currently the highest selling medium. I'm a fan of vinyl, S&G - Bridge Over Troubled Water for 10p, epic bargain.
That one probably does sound better, though. It was recording using an analogue system.

cpr

Bah, i got ripped off, i payed 50p. ****ing Shelter charity shop, they'll only spend it on drugs and booze.

Looks mint framed though.

ripper868

that thing looks like someone acting like the opposite sex.

i can't even read my lectures off my computer, i have to print them out otherwise it dont go in.

Top_Cat

Worst. Prediction. Ever.

(that said I do know some irrational readers who steadfastly refuse to buy an e-reader)

Dan

Global Moderator
(that said I do know some irrational readers who steadfastly refuse to buy an e-reader)
That would include me. Only ebooks I have are 1984 and Animal Farm, and that was only because they were $1 each. Otherwise, it has to be a physical book IMO.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Why? I am genuinely curious - I know a few people do but having your whole library with you at all times is so freaking convenient, plus kindle is so easy to read and the battery lasts so long that I'm at the point where I don't like buying books that aren't on the kindle. I mean I get bored on an airplane and want to read a book I haven't read for years? Fine. Want to read a favorite passage from a book? There it is. I thought I was a pretty good reader before, but the Kindle has easily doubled the amount of books I read, despite me having less time these days.

Top_Cat

Why? I am genuinely curious - I know a few people do but having your whole library with you at all times is so freaking convenient, plus kindle is so easy to read and the battery lasts so long that I'm at the point where I don't like buying books that aren't on the kindle. I mean I get bored on an airplane and want to read a book I haven't read for years? Fine. Want to read a favorite passage from a book? There it is. I thought I was a pretty good reader before, but the Kindle has easily doubled the amount of books I read, despite me having less time these days.
There are certain things a kindle can't replicate; the smell of a new book, physical turning of the pages, easier to jump back 100 pages when something unexpected happens and you need to re-read part of the story, all the romantic stuff (y'know, **** you have no clue about). I do love my Kindle for all the same reasons you do (including reading faster) but appreciate all that too. That and Kindles still glare under certain light so taking one outside for a warm glowing read is still not as easy as taking a real book.

I maintain that some books you just want to own in a physical sense too. I know, technically, we never truly own books, the content is licensed, the industry doesn't exercise it's rights fully to prevent resale, etc. but **** it, that's the way many people view books.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Hate to break it to ya but there are craaaazy people out there who, even today, enjoy going for a adventure in horse-drawn carriages. Even on the back of the horse itself.....! W33p for the future.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
And that'll be exactly the status of physical book readers soon :p. People doing it for the novelty, or for the 'fun' once in a while.