• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Archived [18/10/06] : Battrick

Status
Not open for further replies.

ash chaulk

yeah takes ages to load for me too

just open a new one with a list of all CW members teams so when we need friendlies its on the first page

Robertinho

Haha yeah, I was going to say, takes aaages for this thread to load. Start a new thread, IMO.Will miss this monster, but it's gotten so big it's impossible to manage.

Adamc

Usually the thread loads pretty much straight away, but when the site's slow (which is fairly often) it takes noticeably longer than the smaller threads. I imagine it would be pretty frustrating for people on dial-up.

Scaly piscine

May as well start a new thread really, not going to make that much difference having older stuff in a separate thread, so someone might have to look for something twice - not really that much of a problem.

Mahindinho

Training revealed two pops last night - Brooker to Quality bowling, and Verma to Respectable consistency.

That brings my bowling attack to:

John - Qual/Qual LH Spin (steady)
Brooker - Qual/Qual RFM (attacking)
Hirst - Superb/Qual LF (destructive) <-- should go to Quality any time now
Gibb - Strong/??? ?F (defensive?)
Verma - Strong/Resp ?FM (cautious?)

:D

Without being able to access BT right now, I can't remember Gibb's consistency (although it's better than Verma's) and whether Gibb or Verma is the defensive one.

As an uneven pitch was destroying my nerves (although I'd always win in the end), I've decided to change to cracked. Jumpers for Wickets suggests that it benefits consistency (which I've got) but offers reasonable runs for batsmen with high concentration (which I've also got).

Mind you, I'm still worried about the propensity for shock results - I've got the best all-round team in my league, so I'd rather not get shocked! Dusty is out (only one spinner), and I'm not a fan of Flat after previous encounters with überbatsmen who I just couldn't get out. H&F perhaps? Any ideas?

Robertinho

I would consider Green, because you have an awesome bowling attack, and it's not too slanted against batsmen, so your guns would still be able to dominate.

Damn good bowling attack though...

mikeW

i have 1.5m in the bank, should i continue to save and buy an absolute gun or buy a superb/Quality player?

mikeW

ok will do, hmm im not really sure what i need more anymore. I always thought my batting was my weakness but i managed a respectable top order rating last match, might get a batting keeper.

Mahindinho

Robertinho said:
I would consider Green, because you have an awesome bowling attack, and it's not too slanted against batsmen, so your guns would still be able to dominate.
Green! I don't know why, but I didn't even consider that one. It makes sense. Ta very muchly!

mikeW - I really wouldn't buy "good" players (strong/superb/quality) until the market settles down. You'd be MUCH better off buying trainable proficients now. I reckon the market for "good" players will start to settle by the end of next season, as the season 1-3 teams move towards that level for most of their players rather than just one or two.

The market for the true guns*, i.e. "great" players, who at the moment are remarkable or better (see the CW 1st and 2nd XIs), won't settle for ages I reckon. If anything, prices might go up as more teams save up vast bundles of cash.

* You know, I don't think I ever heard that term before coming here. Didn't know what you lot were wittering on about at first, but I kinda like it now :)

All the above is pure conjecture though :ph34r:

Scaly piscine

Posted on Battrick devs board (by me):

New Bowling Orders

Hope this displays properly... anyway it's a sort of hybrid of default and sets of five without the 10 overs straight (or nearly 10 overs straight) spells. I figure it's quite close to real life when it was the first 15 overs that had the fielding restrictions (I believe the engine works on that assumption). During this time teams would be loathed to use their weaker bowlers in that first 15 - these orders avoid that. These orders minimise the long spells and have one bowler who just bowls in the boring part of the game (overs 16-40) - nearly every international team had a guy who'd do that role (usually a spinner). Similarly you'll rarely ever see one guy bowl 5 straight overs in the last 10, so that's different here too (usually there are lots of chopping and changing just to stop the batsmen getting used to a bowler but I've tried to minimise that too just so it looks less random).

Over Bowler No
1 1
2 2
3 1
4 2
5 1
6 2
7 1
8 2
9 1
10 2
11 3
12 2
13 3
14 2
15 3
16 5
17 3
18 5
19 3
20 5
21 4
22 5
23 4
24 5
25 4
26 5
27 4
28 2
29 4
30 2
31 4
32 2
33 4
34 5
35 3
36 5
37 3
38 5
39 1
40 5
41 1
42 4
43 3
44 4
45 1
46 4
47 1
48 3
49 1
50 3

Would be miles better than what's available at the moment in my opinion and far more realistic. What do other people think? Feel free to bring up more bowling orders to Allan in the Q&A as well...

Mahindinho

Like it! :D

Mind you, I'm not sure whether there's a plan to implement custom bowling orders. If so, I'll probably be nicking yours :p

Robertinho

Mahindinho said:
Green! I don't know why, but I didn't even consider that one. It makes sense. Ta very muchly!

mikeW - I really wouldn't buy "good" players (strong/superb/quality) until the market settles down. You'd be MUCH better off buying trainable proficients now. I reckon the market for "good" players will start to settle by the end of next season, as the season 1-3 teams move towards that level for most of their players rather than just one or two.

The market for the true guns*, i.e. "great" players, who at the moment are remarkable or better (see the CW 1st and 2nd XIs), won't settle for ages I reckon. If anything, prices might go up as more teams save up vast bundles of cash.

* You know, I don't think I ever heard that term before coming here. Didn't know what you lot were wittering on about at first, but I kinda like it now :)

All the above is pure conjecture though :ph34r:
I definitely agree with you, I've said it a fair bit. It's also sort of my training credo - I won't really train anyone unless it's to a fairly high level (well, quality~remarkable at least, because that'll stay a good, competitive level for a while I'd imagine). I think buying players around the Strong/Superb range is just a quick-fix sort of purchase, and they'll soon become "average", whereas had you saved up a bit longer, you could've got a real gun remarkable.

Scaly piscine

Mahindinho said:
Like it! :D

Mind you, I'm not sure whether there's a plan to implement custom bowling orders. If so, I'll probably be nicking yours :p
Yea I'd use mine as well, it's sort of based on this attack:

1 - good tearaway fast bowler
2 - quality line & length seam bowler
3 - generic good fast medium or medium fast seam bowler
4 - weak seam bowler
5 - spinner/medium pacer/weakest bowler

I figure this fits in well with what most international sides have in real life.

But in Battrick I'd have

1 - Horne
2 - Pace
3 - Lisbie
4 - Dillon
5 - Cahalane/Parr

Status
Not open for further replies.