• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Archived [18/10/06] : Battrick

Status
Not open for further replies.

cricketboy29

Broke the 1 million barrier in my bank balce for the first time today. So i'm pretty happy, No pops for me today, but I'm expecting some in the coming weeks,

nibbs and rob was just about to say that Earl or whatever was sort of funny the first time but now it juist isnt even worth a smile to Roseboy two Mediocres in an established team is way too many my team isnt established and I only have 2 or 3 Competents let alone Mediocres? (See Where Im Getting At?)

Anyway training time,

8. David Mee (786468)
LH Batsman, LM Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, energetic
A steady player with worthless leadership skills and worthless experience.

Plays For: Pup
Nationality: Australia
Battrick Rating: 8,161 (+235)
Wages: £932 p/w

Stamina: mediocre Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: worthless Concentration: worthless
Bowling: proficient Consistency: respectable
Fielding: abysmal

Just popped to Proficient Bowling last week so is panning out to be quite a handy bowler as well as the guy below,

Stuart Street (884903)
RH Batsman, RF Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, moderate
A defensive player with competent leadership skills and abysmal experience.

Plays For: Pup
Nationality: England
Battrick Rating: 8,838 (+357)
Wages: £955 p/w

Stamina: woeful Wicket Keeping: abysmal
Batting: worthless Concentration: abysmal
Bowling: proficient Consistency: proficient
Fielding: worthless

Only Negative is the Woeful stamina expecting a pop in 4 weeks so should be mid mediocre stamina by the end of the year.

And also a bit of advice with my Training Program when I first bought players I looked a lot for players with decent Primaries thats the reason I only have about 2 or 3 Competents in my starting team now. If you have a look at my First Team's Stamina below

1.Findlay - Woeful
2. Pollard - Mediocre
3. Paris* - Woeful
4. Nevin - Woeful
5. Weerakoon - Woeful
6. Coates* - Feeble
7. Street* - Woeful
8. Verhoeven - Feeble
9. Jones - Mediocre
10. Mee - Mediocre
11. Hilpert - Mediocre

So that gives me a grand total of 4 Mediocres, 2 Feebles, 5 Woeful's

* indicates getting trained in stamina those 3 getting trained will mean 7 are higher than Mediocre in Stamina can anyone give me any advice about how to best train these Woeful/Feeble to a better level to incorarate into my current training program eg having a fat camp eg trev style or leaving the 1 to 2 nets alone for just raising the level of everyone's fitness.

Cheers,

AD

chaminda_00

A couple secondary pops for me, im loving the way Murali pops twice every time. Reminds me of American Pie. ;)

8. Sasrutha Muralitharan (545330)
LH Batsman, LH Spin Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, invigorated
A defensive player with strong leadership skills and worthless experience.

Plays For: Jaffna Jets
Nationality: Sri Lanka
Battrick Rating: 12,111 (+478)
Wages: £1,888 p/w

Stamina: feeble Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: proficient Concentration: feeble
Bowling: proficient Consistency: feeble
Fielding: feeble

Means he will move up to No. 5

andyc

AussieDominance said:
nibbs and rob was just about to say that Earl or whatever was sort of funny the first time but now it juist isnt even worth a smile to Roseboy two Mediocres in an established team is way too many my team isnt established and I only have 2 or 3 Competents let alone Mediocres? (See Where Im Getting At?)
That a large portion of your team has fairly substandard stamina and secondaries? But seriously, to everyone, try and keep the 'your team's crap, mine's better' down, cause every team has their own strengths and all that, and every manager has their own ideas on what makes a good team.

Probably should've applied for a mod, tbh.

chaminda_00

Hey Justin Stamina will improve over time, just keep 2-4 fitness nets and spread them around, until everyone at mediorce, then get your trainees up to respectable plus. Until your in the higher divison it shouldn't really make a difference even in FC, as everyone will have crap stamina.

mikeW

AussieDominance said:
Ive Only been playing for 5 months!

Edit : Your Rating are not that much ahead of mine?

Yours

Top Order : Respectable ( Much Better)
Middle Order : Mediocre ( Only One Level Better)
Seam Bowling : Mediocre (Same Level)
Spin Bowling : Competent (Much Better)

Mine

Top Order : Mediocre
Middle Order : Feeble
Seam : Mediocre
Spin : Feeble

I dont see the huge huge difference considering you have been playing for 5 months longer, I mean its obvious your top order is a lot better same with your spin bowling but each team has it's strengths and at the moment my team is on par with you in Seam Bowling even though I have played for 5 months less.
I had my tongue fimly planted in my cheek when i said that mate :p

Sorry mate .

PY

andyc said:
That a large portion of your team has fairly substandard stamina and secondaries? But seriously, to everyone, try and keep the 'your team's crap, mine's better' down, cause every team has their own strengths and all that, and every manager has their own ideas on what makes a good team.

Andy's right, what the heck is point in pointing out faults in other people's teams unless they ask for advice and even then, constructive criticism is always the way to go.

Adam or one of the other top teams on here could say that to everyone each time people post their squads but they don't because it doesn't help anyone.

Gah. :p

andyc said:

I don't see why my post is being pointed out im just trying to help him?

chaminda_00

Got my biggest ever BT game comming up this week. Im playing the team comming equal first with me. These are their ratings in bold against mine:

Code:
Jaffna Jets Toolmanteam 
Top Order: competent [B]proficient [/B]
Middle Order: mediorce [B]feeble[/B]
Lower Order: worthless [B]abysmal[/B] 
Seam Bowling: mediorce [B]competent [/B]
Spin Bowling: mediorce [B]quality [/B]
Fielding: woeful [B]feeble [/B]
As you can see i have a massive task to try and pull off a win, made even harder by the fact they changed their pitch from Cracked to Dusty. I've decided to go with the same batting line up i've played against VIpers. My batting been quite solid this season and won me quite a few games. I could play all three of my strong batsmen in the top three, which is an option and try a go after their pace attack. But their spinner comes in at 3, so they wont have much time to attack. Also my batsmen aren't much better then their seamers.

But this is the guy i really have to worry about:

7. Arjuna Rodrigo (343833)
LH Batsman, LH Spin Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, sublime
A cautious player with mediocre leadership skills and feeble experience.

Plays For: Toolmanteam
Nationality: Sri Lanka
Battrick Rating: 44,556
Wages: £7,435 p/w

114 wkts @ 8.59

Im not really sure how i can gain an advantage over this team, do you guys have any suggestions?

GotSpin

andyc said:

My team sucks so much

Mahindinho

chaminda_00 said:
Im not really sure how i can gain an advantage over this team, do you guys have any suggestions?
Well, he's cautious, so I'd be inclined to play some batsmen defensive and see how it goes!

Try a pinch-hitter - one of your batsmen who's attacking and not too bad (i.e. 4th or 5th best) opening, esp. if his stamina lets him down, as you're not expecting him to last too long. Your other opener should probably be a steady or cautious player played def, in an effort to bat for a while.

Put your best bat in at #3, ordered defensively if that suits his temperament (or use a different batsman if your best is attacking). Hopefully, by the time he comes in, he'll be in a position to knock up a few runs against the seamers before the gun spinner starts bowling.

Actually, maybe you should try both openers attacking, with the best batsman in at #4 instead. I'm thinking that you're likely to be two wickets down after 10 overs.

If your best batsman is attacking (I've assumed defensive), you should consider putting him in at #2 but perhaps giving him orders to play at normal.

But what do I know? My entire top order collapsed on Sunday :(

Scaly piscine

Dusty does produce some weird results so just hope you can get a 250 type score if you bat first, don't get greedy with your batting (so normal or defensive orders I'd say). You can however bowl them out cheaply if things go your way - if you get a couple of wickets with the new ball (which is often a bit random so it's very possible) then you'll be into their feeble middle order which your bowling would have the edge on.

I won a game on a dusty pitch with these ratings last season:

Top Order: strong strong
Middle Order: competent mediocre
Lower Order: abysmal woeful
Seam Bowling: strong respectable
Spin Bowling: quality proficient
Fielding: feeble mediocre

I scored 258-3 and bowled them out for 209 after 2 early wickets. Their spinners took 20-1-71-1, mine 8-0-24-5 because he was on at the death.

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Mahindinho said:
Well, he's cautious, so I'd be inclined to play some batsmen defensive and see how it goes!

Try a pinch-hitter - one of your batsmen who's attacking and not too bad (i.e. 4th or 5th best) opening, esp. if his stamina lets him down, as you're not expecting him to last too long. Your other opener should probably be a steady or cautious player played def, in an effort to bat for a while.

Put your best bat in at #3, ordered defensively if that suits his temperament (or use a different batsman if your best is attacking). Hopefully, by the time he comes in, he'll be in a position to knock up a few runs against the seamers before the gun spinner starts bowling.

Actually, maybe you should try both openers attacking, with the best batsman in at #4 instead. I'm thinking that you're likely to be two wickets down after 10 overs.

If your best batsman is attacking (I've assumed defensive), you should consider putting him in at #2 but perhaps giving him orders to play at normal.

But what do I know? My entire top order collapsed on Sunday :(
That gives me a few ideas, i think i might open with a proficient and respectable batsmen, ones attacking and ones destructive. Play them both on very attacking, i.e pinch hitters. Then have my 2nd best batsmen (strong/mediorce) at 3 on normal, his steady and then my best batsmen (strong/competent) on defensive to try and nulify their spinner.
After that have my other strong/feeble (destructive bat) on attacking.

Then have my two all rounders proficient/feeble and respectable/feeble on defensive incase things stuff up and i need to bat out the innings. I think they will still go for the slog in the last ten overs anyway, it doesn't seem to make a difference what aggression you have on them.

Also i decided to play three spinners on the dusty pitch, they all been in pretty good form and generally keep the runs down.

Do you think that might work?

chaminda_00

Scaly piscine said:
Dusty does produce some weird results so just hope you can get a 250 type score if you bat first, don't get greedy with your batting (so normal or defensive orders I'd say). You can however bowl them out cheaply if things go your way - if you get a couple of wickets with the new ball (which is often a bit random so it's very possible) then you'll be into their feeble middle order which your bowling would have the edge on.
Do you think i should bat first, i usually bat 2nd, as i seem to bat too slow batting first for some reason. I've only played two games on dusty, so im not sure if its better to bat first or 2nd. I guess logically 2nd is better as the pitch might spin more.

Scaly piscine

Hmm their 3 main bats at the top of the order are destructive that gives you an even better chance of picking up wickets early on (King might be a bit too good to get out but the other two aren't). Obviously they could completely hammer your bowlers as well, but you'll lose anyway if you don't bowl them out.

Anyway not sure about batting first or second.

Adamc

PY said:
Adam or one of the other top teams on here could say that to everyone each time people post their squads but they don't because it doesn't help anyone.
Nah, I was just waiting for permission from a Mod. :p

chaminda_00

Scaly piscine said:
Hmm their 3 main bats at the top of the order are destructive that gives you an even better chance of picking up wickets early on (King might be a bit too good to get out but the other two aren't). Obviously they could completely hammer your bowlers as well, but you'll lose anyway if you don't bowl them out.

Anyway not sure about batting first or second.
Yeah looking at some of their other scorecards a lot of teams have knocked over the other two quite cheaply, so it looks like my best option is to attack their batting and defend their bowling.

Thanks for the help so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.