• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aus v NZ

Rik

Eclipse said:
lol

I have yet to make a first ball duck but I have made a few 3rd ballers.
Yup that was my 1st 1st baller :( and I've been playing since I was 12...

Top_Cat

Well Rik, my averages have been higher than all those...............if you're talking about number of rotten, smelly floofs on the field which cause the batsman to almost gag..........

Oh wait you're talking about batting. :D Well I bow down to you, Rik Bradman. :)

Rik

Top_Cat said:
Well Rik, my averages have been higher than all those...............if you're talking about number of rotten, smelly floofs on the field which cause the batsman to almost gag..........

Oh wait you're talking about batting. :D Well I bow down to you, Rik Bradman. :)
My average fell to 44.5, but after 4 more games it ended up at 48.75 :) I'm no Bradman *sighs*

Mr Mxyzptlk

Well, Bradman is an Aussie.......

But really it has nothing to do with the topic. It's just Rik going off on another "here-are-my-great-stats-but-not-as-good-as-I-make-them-sound-because-it's-only-indoor-cricket" sprees. :D

anzac

just to come back 'on thread'........

just as much as Ponting / Hayden are 'due', the same could be said for Bond!!!!!

I too have not been all that impressed with Bond so far this season, until recently that is.....

in the Home series v India I thought he had some early success in the Tests (some of those deliveries were unplayable for anyone), but in the ODIs he looked as if he had fallen into the same trap as Lee in bowling short & wide instead of making the batsmen play at more deliveries - his return from injury could have something to do with that......

In the WC I had similar thoughts v WI & SA, but more recently I now think he is bowling quite well but without a lot of luck. Against ZIM he could have easily had 3 or 4 in his 1st spell IMO. Some of his individual deliveries are still amongst the best I have seen in this WC - particularly the bouncer that was gloved to McCullum. His pace is increasing & more consistant with each match.

My remaining thought would be for him to pitch it up more & make the batsmen play more shots, particularly when he comes back for his latter spells & the ball & pitch have slowed. He has been generating swing at pace & has a good yorker - just has'nt used it too much.

The same criticism for some of the other Kiwi seam bowlers & Adams in particular.

There will be some good battles in this one, and one thing for certain the Kiwis will not go into this match intimidated / over awed by the Aussies.

:)

Tim

on the subject of McCullum, man is he a good keeper..I had heard talk about him being good, but he is very good & if his batting develops aswell then he'll be NZ's #1 choice for a very long time.

Rik

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Well, Bradman is an Aussie.......

But really it has nothing to do with the topic. It's just Rik going off on another "here-are-my-great-stats-but-not-as-good-as-I-make-them-sound-because-it's-only-indoor-cricket" sprees. :D
They aren't great stats by any means.

Interisting that Marc had to put up a thread about me. Pick up a bat and go and play for an indoor team if your so bothered about feeling left out will you?

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Not feeling left out, just sick of seeing you hijack threads to talk about hopw great you are in some crappy indoor Cricket league, which bears about as much resemblance to proper Cricket as French Cricket does.

Rik

marc71178 said:
Not feeling left out, just sick of seeing you hijack threads to talk about hopw great you are in some crappy indoor Cricket league, which bears about as much resemblance to proper Cricket as French Cricket does.
More to do with cricket than your armchair me thinks :rolleyes:

Or the ECB's new 20 over competition for that matter...

Also Marc, I talk about this less than you talk about me...ironic maybe?

Tim

The selection of Vincent over McMillan was odds on for this match, Vincent really does spark it up in the field whereas McMillan seems to have little effect in the field probably due to the fact that he's not getting any runs.

However with McMillan out, that leaves NZ with three opening options with Fleming.
Vincent can open, but during the Indian series Fleming said that Vincent was being messed around with too much and that he should now be batting at 6 so that possibly rules him out.
Nathan Astle as we know has opened for NZ for many years now, but he has been very successful at 3 during this World Cup & its unlikely he will change.
Which leaves Daniel Vettori, who has little experience at opening at international level, however he does open for Northern Districts these days so he should have some knowledge of whats required. This is the likely option, NZ will be hoping Vettori flukes his way to a quick-fire 30 & does a job well done allowing Astle, Styris, Cairns etc to not be so vunerable to the new ball.

On most occassions Vincent has done a very bad job at 5 or 6, he comes in & gets out straight away which causes a landslide affect on the others. I'd like to see him open because the wicket should be good for batting on, and if he remembers Perth then he should do ok.

This is the likely order:

Fleming
Vettori
Astle
Styris
Cairns
Vincent
Harris
McCullum
Oram
Adams
Bond

And Adams will be the floater if NZ get into a good position.

anzac

I would think that the Aussie quicks eyes have lit up at the possibility of Vettori opening with Fleming!!!!!!

With the aggressive / intimidatory form Lee is showing I would not want to see Vettori open against the hard ball & Lee - he does not come up against those situations often enough in International cricket & I do not want to see him injured & unable to bowl. Too many risks in that selection.

Further more I think NZ would also want to take advantage of Lee's pace & shorter deliveries to gain some cheap boundaries / runs with the hard ball (Lee still bowls short & most of the 'quicks' have gone for a few when they drop short & off line). To do that you need a 'proper' batsman. Vincent would seem to be the fav as No 6 is covered with Harris already in the team.

However, I would not be surprised if Astle returned to open to make it a double opening attack for the Aussies to think about rather than just having to close down on Fleming (if the left one don't get ya the right one will - so to speak). This would seem to be more in line with taking the fight to the Aussies and not letting them settle.

A wild card option would be to open with Styris - he has the technique & form & is relatively familiar with coming in against the new ball attack. He would also be able to take some of the pressure off Fleming at the other end whereas Vettori can't, and Vincent would only via quick singles (the last thing NZ would want is more run outs in the top order).

:)

Tim

Brendon McCullum has experience opening against the Australian bowlers but I think the selectors believe his future for NZ lies at #5 #6 or #7.