• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aus v NZ

anzac

I've just seen that Cairns is under a cloud re a knee injury - doubtful he will be able to bowl but hopeful he will still play.....
:(

Kiwi

Well I think that no-one has a better chance of beating Australia than New Zealand does.

For NZ to win one of the top 4 batters will have to get a ton and the bowlers will have to perform alot better than they have in the last few matches.

As for Vettori opening, I don't have any problem with it as if he fails it is no loss really. His job will be to face of the new ball of McGrath and if he does that it is a job well done.

Vincent instead of McMillan is interesting. Vincent always seems to lift a level against Australia and I think this could have something to do with his selection. I would have liked to see Macca there though.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tamara said:
Well I think that no-one has a better chance of beating Australia than New Zealand does.
I don't think anyone realistically has a chance of beating Australia period.

Someone may beat them, but it won't be due to superior skills.

Also, putting them in to me is a wrong move - I'd rather bat first against them and go after their bowlers from the start - there's only really 2 World Class bowlers in the line-up now, whereas in recent times we've seen 4 of them. Yes the likes of Bichel and Hogg have performed well in recent times, but not to the level of a Warne or Gillespie.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
6/80

Bond strikes twice in two balls, Brad Hogg getting a golden. He now has 5/21 from 8 overs

I reckon Fleming will bowl him out in search of another couple of wickets.

Rik

marc71178 said:
I don't think anyone realistically has a chance of beating Australia period.

Someone may beat them, but it won't be due to superior skills.

Also, putting them in to me is a wrong move - I'd rather bat first against them and go after their bowlers from the start - there's only really 2 World Class bowlers in the line-up now, whereas in recent times we've seen 4 of them. Yes the likes of Bichel and Hogg have performed well in recent times, but not to the level of a Warne or Gillespie.
Australia 134-7 says someone can. Bond 6-23 says that someone can due to superior skills.

Last edited:

Rik

Bevan and Bichel are up to it again...60 partnership up. Bichel closing up on his maiden international 50...

Kimbo

new zealand struggles after bond/vettori have been bowled out. we dont really have good death bowlers.

Tim

ummm that was just disgraceful from Adams & Oram..I have echoed over the past week that NZ must pick a frontline bowler rather than hoping that Oram & Adams will do the job & once again they've been found out & this could be the most costly.

Bond was superb, that should rest any doubts that he was coming back down to earth..he is an awesome bowler in form & if NZ make it through to the semi's, Bond in form is very good news for them.

208 might look small, but it looks a damn sight bigger than what it should have been & NZ have definately let Australia off the hook. You can't really blame Fleming here, Bond had to bowl his full 10 while he was running hot. Oram & Adams were just pathetic in the last 4 overs & one of these players I think has to make way for Mills in the match against India...I don't care if Adams is a match-winner, he's in the side as an opening bowler & he's not doing the job so he has to go.

Rik

One big score and NZ win...game on.

I would drop Adams, Oram's in decent form and took 2 wickets in this match too. He's having a good World Cup bowling-wise.

Last edited:

Tim

Luckily, all of the NZ batsmen are in some kind of batting form so this target is still realistic for them.

I wonder if Vettori will still open? I guess so but NZ can't afford a bad start or Australia will kill them off easily.

Rik

Then he gets out for you guessed it...10

Styris and Astle out cheaply. Cairns has come in and is looking imposing.

Tim

Well its all over for NZ, Bond about to come in when at this time now he should have been getting prepared to celebrate a victory & his bowling efforts.

Brett Lee after some tap has just come back & murdered the lower order.
But NZ can only blame themselves, poor dismissals & the problem of not finishing off the tail has this time cost them.
I can't believe Cairns was so rash considering the situation.

I guess tonight the NZ team will just sit back & realise that they've just missed a big chance to beat Australia.

Tim

There it is, NZ look rather stupid at the end of it all.
What should have been a victory by now has turned into a 96 run defeat.

Bevan is a master at gaining support from the tail-enders & until someone can figure out how to stop him from doing that then not many teams will get close.